Author Topic: Whatever happened to middle weight sport tourers?  (Read 7506 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Whatever happened to middle weight sport tourers?
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »

Humm.
I can tell you that the rumors of our demise (we that creak) are greatly exaggerated!

Mike, you're a hard-charger!    :bike-037:

Not extinct just yet !!   

Try buying a new 2019 V11 LeMans.  That's what I'm talking about.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2019, 02:42:28 PM »
Interesting.  What problems did you have with it?  I rode a rental 800 Tiger through the Alps last month.  Mine, as a rental, was beat to death, but I could see the good points:  great engine, smooth, good (enough) power.  Loved the handling on all the switch-backs.  Wide bar made easy work of it.  All day comfort.  My rental had the metal Triumph panniers.  I hated them.  They leaked like a sieve, and the right side had been tweaked in a tip-over and wouldn't latch and unlatch without force.  The clutch was also fried, which led to some interesting moments :angry: But had the bike been in better shape....

Bike went bye-bye today.

It had almost all the "known issues" except cracked frame. It burned oil from new, had two separate transmission failures in it's 3rd year, the horn quit after three years, heated grips failure, bad paint, bad powdercoat, bad anodization, front wheel hop, low compression on #3, soft wheel spacers... I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff.

Had it listed for 4 weeks for $2,450. A young man drove up from Chicago today and got it today. When he returned from a short test ride the battery was smoking. I'm assuming it was the voltage regulator. I happened to have a spare so I threw that in with it and let him haul it away for $2,200.

I'll never own another Triumph. That was enough for me. Paid $12,800 for it, added $3,000 in accessories and sold it with $400-$500 in spare parts (software, service manual, voltage regulator, and dozens of filters, seals gasket, o-rings, ect) for $2,200.

You can't even mention issues with these online. "Your bike is just a lemon..."you need a better mechanic".. etc. It's maddening. Never again. BMW prices, Ural quality.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2019, 09:16:29 PM »
Wow! That's a shame.  I've always wondered about the quality of "Taiwan Triumphs." I love the look of the new 1200 Scrambler, but if ever I bought one, I would buy used and let someone else eat the first couple of years depriciation.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »
Had a 2013 Street Triple R. Ate its reed valve and had some ABS electronic issues that were intermittent and seldom occurring. For the most part it was an excellent sport naked.

As soon as the warranty expired, it was traded in on a 2015 Yamaha FJ09 (Tracer). No problems with it and now at 30K miles. Well except for a bolt pierced the radiator going down the road. But that's not the bikes fault. If you want sport bike ergo, this isn't it. But if you want a quick, efficient, excellent handling and comfortable sporting tourer, the new tracers are hard to beat. My wife rides ours as her go to traveling bike. She has a 32" inseam and handles the seat height just fine. My son has a 2016 that has been flawless as well. He has about 25K miles on his.

Upright ergos seem a popular trend for the segment.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »
Vstrom 650 or SV650...same engine, bullet proof, can be had on the cheap.
Vstrom if you need more room, SV if short and light is your style.

This is the bike I always suggest to new owners because they won't outgrow it in a few years. You could start and end your riding career with one of these...the same one.

Amen.  I've owned both.  V-Strom are surprisingly comfortable, and SV are shockingly competent and versatile to anyone who has never riden one.  Everything I have ever read says the 650 is a better bike than the 1000 in both guises.  Personal experience backs that up.

Another surprisingly good bike is a Kawasaki Versos 650.  Very inexpensive and versatile.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2019, 10:42:32 AM »
Well,

It seems you need something that can cover long distances quickly and reliably. The Norge is a great machine, but it's at the point that it's become difficult to do all your own maintenance and if you need an electrical component - it may be awhile in coming.

I would humbly suggest an older BMW RS series, or from my own personal experience a pre 06 Kawasaki Concours. They are simple bikes, easy to maintain, and pretty much bullet proof. I put 70K miles on mine in Europe at 140-160kph for hours on end. Aftermarket is good - I run a much lower windshield than stock. Hard bags, easy to mount a trunk. They were made for two decades with only minor changes. They are a bit heavy, but are no slouch on a curvy road. Have done hundreds of Alpine passes on mine. The best can be had for less than $3K.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2019, 11:40:42 AM »
R1200RS
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2019, 12:10:13 PM »
So many choices it is ridiculous. Options are endless on Craigs List nationwide.  This is the Golden Age of Motorcycles. You can buy a perfectly sound motorcycle with full luggage for $3-5 thousand and less than 25,000 miles. Call a buddy.  Plan a trip.  Pack your stuff.  Hit the twisties and pin the throttle and go have a "sporty-touring adventure." Scare yourself a little.  Make some grins and memories.   People spend more time talking about bikes than actually riding them.  Rant over.

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
My Sport tourer, available factory hard cases, has shaft drive, linked ABS brakes, when I use it as a work commuter it gets 43 mpg @ 70 mph.  Throttle by wire so you can get a plug n play electronic cruse control for it. (A guy in Europe sells the kit)  Cruise all day @ 150 mph without breaking a sweat.....mine is the DCT model.  Has that V4 low end grunt with the high end rush like an I4.  Very good prices on used bikes....you can save 10-15k over these New ST’s.  I do love the Ducati Multistrada’s (test rode a 2013)but stay away from the brand because of all the problems reported on the forums.

2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »
Shesh, why are you guys recommending anything but a Guzzi?

Where is Huzo when I need him, how many trips around Europe and Australia has his red beauty 2V Norge done?

Five Europe’s, multiple Aussie criss crosses.
Will be six after 2021.

image hosting site free

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:52:52 AM by Huzo »

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
Wow! That's a shame.  I've always wondered about the quality of "Taiwan Triumphs." I love the look of the new 1200 Scrambler, but if ever I bought one, I would buy used and let someone else eat the first couple of years depriciation.
There are no Triumphs made in Taiwan.
I used to live in Chonburi Thailand where they are made. Also the Ducati scrambler series are made in Thailand too.

From the Triumph website FAQ,

Where are Triumph’s factories based?

Triumph has six-world class factories around the world. Two of these factories are based in Hinckley in the UK, just a stone’s throw from the Mallory Park race track. There are also three factories in Chonburi, Thailand, and one in Manaus, Brazil. Every Triumph motorcycle begins its life in Hinckley, where all of our design work, prototype construction and engineering takes place.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
I kind of think of middle weights as under at or under liter size.

If we are talking the heavy weight sport tourers, there are a bunch of really good ones out there, with the top being the FJR.   :evil:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2019, 04:52:13 PM »
I kind of think of middle weights as under at or under liter size.

If we are talking the heavy weight sport tourers, there are a bunch of really good ones out there, with the top being the FJR.   :evil:
Definitions.  This is probably why, when I talk about the sport-tourers I'm considering, I always get someone who says I'm "all over the map".  I don't necessarily think primarily in terms of engine size; I'm more concerned with (as the name implies) the actual *weight* of the bike.  So for me, less than 450 lbs dry would be a light weight sport-tourer, 450 lbs to 600 lbs dry a middle weight, and over 600 lbs dry a heavy weight.  The engine size comes next, as a question of whether it is adequate to the task, which most of them are.  Middle weight sport tourers can be had from 650cc to 1650cc engines.  I'm willing to consider any engine size, as long as it's adequate to the task, and the bike size fits me.

PhilB
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:53:54 PM by PhilB »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »

I don't necessarily think primarily in terms of engine size; I'm more concerned with (as the name implies) the actual *weight* of the bike.  So for me, less than 450 lbs dry would be a light weight sport-tourer, 450 lbs to 600 lbs dry a middle weight, and over 600 lbs dry a heavy weight.  The engine size comes next, as a question of whether it is adequate to the task, which most of them are.  Middle weight sport tourers can be had from 650cc to 1650cc engines.  I'm willing to consider any engine size, as long as it's adequate to the task, and the bike size fits me.

PhilB

Same, here.   
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2019, 08:47:08 PM »
 How about an EV? Under that body work it is just a Lemans with a better frame and suspension.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2019, 09:27:18 PM »
Honda's VFR800 is about the last man standing...

R1200RS

Ducati 939 Supersport
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:28:33 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2019, 09:59:13 PM »
I'm really happy with my new to me 750 Breva, smooth, handles well and light. Fuel tank is a little small though. I think the term middleweight has a lot of meanings to a lot of different people. Perspective is everything. :popcorn:

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2019, 01:44:25 PM »
This our 2005 Kaw Z-750S. Wife road it for years. She and I both have curtailed the long out of state rides, we are both in our mid-60's. She has an 05 Tri. Bonny Speedmaster she uses now mostly and I have pretty much taken over the Zed. water cooled, 6 spd., EFI, under 450 lbs. with just over 100.rwhp. 40+ mpg. Great bike

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
Surprised nobody mentioned the '08 1200 Sport. It gets little respect because people think its just like the 1100 Breva when it's not. Suspension was upgraded, added power and no heat from the catalytic converter..Suspensi on is perfect for my weight and with a passenger. The Norge was mentioned but I prefer the bikini fairing for reduced weight over the larger Norge fairing and with the shorter bars, it makes cruising on the highway perfect and parking lot maneuvers a breeze!

The 12S is extremely well balanced for it's weight (with bags) and is very manuervable in ALL situations. I've put 33,000 mile on mine over the last 6 years with several long trips. I added Stelvio hand guards shortly after I got it and a Laminar Lip (only used for temps below 60 degrees) for added neck protection. So the wind protection is very good with the flaired gas tank and cylinder heads sending most of the wind around my legs. Don't mind the cylinder heat above 75 degrees and below that it feels so good on my legs.

With my H&B saddlebags, rear  trunk and tank bag, I can travel anywhere from the grocery store to dancing on mountain roads to cruising highways at 85 mph all day. The low-end grunt is so addictive. Typically average 42-45 mpg. With the Startus Interuptus fixed, it is THE perfect bike for my kind of riding.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
You may love it, but it is too heavy to be a Middle weight sport tour.   
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »
Another vote for concours c10.  I had a 2005.  I would still have it but they are heavy at low speed.  Other than that could be one of the best bikes ever made
1994 California 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here