Author Topic: carbtune vs beer bottles  (Read 6753 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: carbtune vs beer bottles
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2019, 04:14:59 AM »
Another argument for using Oil rather than Mercury.

I use a "U" tube manometer about 30 inches high half filled with engine Oil, I knocked this up for less than $10 many years ago.
I can really only measure about 20 inches of difference before I'm afraid of sucking the oil into the engine, this is plenty for the purpose of aligning the carbs.
If I was to use mercury, what height of column would be equivalent to my 30" "U" tube
Using my working range of 20" differential.
20 / 13.6 (SG of mercury) = 1.4"  So I only need a mercury "U" tube that will measure 1.4" to replace my Oil column
But wait, my oil has an SG of ~ 0.8
(20 / 13.6) x 0.8 = 1.17" Hg so I really only need a mercury column just over an inch tall to balance my carbs.
However I would never be able to keep the mercury contained, if say one of the hoses were to drop off, the imbalance of pressure would blow the mercury into the engine quicker than you could blink.
This is the reason they make the mercury columns tall enough to withstand the strongest vacuum they can possibly see, full manifold Vacuum, As they measure gauge pressure rather than differential pressure they need to be about 30" tall. They also add restrictors in the hoses to damp the action.

Why do we want to measure Gauge pressure? mainly for ease of use with a multi cylinder engine, for a 2 cylinder we just need to know the difference (differential pressure). To measure differential pressure you don't need such a wide range.

My 30" Oil filled "U" tube will not withstand a hose dropping of either but because of the oil viscosity (damping) I don't need restrictors, I have plenty of time to shut down the engine if something goes amiss.

I like the idea of the beer bottle balance tool, I think it is nice and compact, mounted on a block of wood its self standing whereas my column needs to lean against the bike and it's only visible from one direction.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:49:56 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
Re: carbtune vs beer bottles
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:03 AM »
And, amazingly, here is a source for mercury if you need it:  https://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product1003.html
AMAZING that they still have this.

I have mercury for life. My RN brother-in-law gave me a bottle of medical mercury many moons ago. Seems that it was used to weight some probe that gets slid down ones esophagus into the stomach. Once its been used, it supposed to be disposed of. My mercury sticks have needed to be topped off once in the twenty plus years I've owned them.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here