Author Topic: Norton for sale San Diego  (Read 4225 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Norton for sale San Diego
« on: October 26, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
Just met a gentleman in Carlsbad who rides an old Norton (not sure the year) to work.  It looks really well maintained and is a daily driver.   He told me he is selling it (hasn't advertised it yet) since he has young kids.  His name is John Collum and he works at Bob Baker Chrysler in Carlsbad, California as the used car manager.  You can look up the number if you're interested.  Here are a few pictures I took:

Its a sweet looking bike.  I'm not really interested in maintaining an older bike but I thought someone here might be.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Norton for sale San Diego
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »
Thats a beauty! Did he mention how much he was going to ask for it? I am not interested in actually buying it, just curious about what something like that would be worth compared to say an Eldorado.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »
Thats a beauty! Did he mention how much he was going to ask for it? I am not interested in actually buying it, just curious about what something like that would be worth compared to say an Eldorado.
Rick.

John said he was looking for about 8500.  I didn't press any further.

Vince in San Diego

LesP

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 04:49:31 PM »
With a 209### engine number it is a 1972 750 Roadster, might be a Combat based on the head is quite close to the cylinder top. (They were decked 0.040" from the factory for more compression)

In the USA it is probably $2000 optimistic.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 04:49:31 PM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 07:13:10 PM »
With a 209### engine number it is a 1972 750 Roadster, might be a Combat based on the head is quite close to the cylinder top. (They were decked 0.040" from the factory for more compression)

You may be right, but anytime I've seen a Norton for sale it wasn't cheap.  The side plate clearly says Commando 750.  I have no idea what the engine number is (don't think its in the pictures and wasn't looking for it).  But it is a pretty thing, and if I was interested I'd buy it... but I'm not.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »
No doubt its a combat. I wonder if the owner knows its history. If its been in that area all its life it may have come from Brian Slark's place British Marketing. Not many better Norton mechanics than Brian.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:23:30 PM by PeteS »

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:29:20 PM »
No doubt its a combat.
Pete

How did you come to that conclusion?  Without knowing the stamped number on the head it can't be identified as a Combat head. Not to mention that the cam and pistons could have been changed.

From my estimation, about 95% of Commando stuff is interchangible, so it could have a Combat head and, on the other hand, it could have a different 750 head.  From the photos, about the only thing that can be positively stated is that it has 750 cylinders and later-model 750 Commando crankcases.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:30:06 PM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »
I know a little about Norton Commandos and know it's a pre 75 since it doesn't have the electric start. If I saw the tail light I might be able to narrow the search to pre 73 or 73-4. Looks pretty good to me, but the price seems kinda high. Maybe more like 65 or 7 around here. I haven't seen Combats go for less than other Commandos, and for sure not 2K. That's the cost of a basket case.

LesP

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 10:16:58 PM »

Its a 1972 750 because I blew up the picture that showed the engine number pad with it starting 209###, that makes the engine at least 1972, 209### falls into the range of Combats but they were building non Combats at the same time in the same number range.
By $2000 optimistic I meant $6500 and not $8500.
To get the $6500 you really need to have $8500 in it and full history of any mechanical done.

Maybe I should mention I have two Commando's and know them down to the stripped crankshafts (which are bolt up)

The Combat head is a earlier RH1 head that is decked 0.040" to raise the compression, the ports were hogged out to suit 32 mm Amals and their manifolds.

The cylinder was the same as the earlier 73 mm bore 750 but the crankcases changed for the year 1972 and it was not entirely successful as the oil pick up (dry sump) was changed and on the 850 (for 1973) changed back to the pre 72 set up.
Pre 1972 have a breather hose off the L/H side of the case in line with the cam shaft as they have a timed breather on the cam end... the bulge on the later bikes (750 and 850)

The C on top of the head means little, its just a stamp in the right font.
The cam shaft is a little 'hotter.
They would most likely have the recall main bearings from all the failures back in 1972 including on bikes that were low miles.

That looks like a nice bike.

Some Moto Guzzi, Norton content.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:09:06 AM by LesP »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »

Yes, but California's not the USA :laugh:

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks, Les. A few months back I picked up a Combat basket case (wasn't blown up, was taken apart to restore, the owner then checked out - damn him!) and am gathering the missing bits. I always thought Commandos were gorgeous bikes, but had no intention of taking care of one. The 85LM -> 1000S conversion fills the bill for me, but life has a way with curve balls.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 01:04:14 PM »
Again, I have NO connection or association with the owner of the Norton (apparently a 1972 750).  That being said, the guy treated me fairly and with kindness.  That's the only reason I've posted pictures of his bike.  The price he suggested to me was only that.  He suggested something along the lines of 7 or 8 or so thousand, perhaps 8500 at the best.  He also told me his wife wants him to keep the bike.. she likes it.  So who knows how serious he is.  Anyhoo, I've got nothing more of value to say on the topic.  It is cool to read the posts of the Norton experts and mechanics. 

Wild Guzzi is such a font of all things motorcycle  :bike-037:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 01:05:43 PM by vstevens »

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »
How did you come to that conclusion?  Without knowing the stamped number on the head it can't be identified as a Combat head. Not to mention that the cam and pistons could have been changed.

From my estimation, about 95% of Commando stuff is interchangible, so it could have a Combat head and, on the other hand, it could have a different 750 head.  From the photos, about the only thing that can be positively stated is that it has 750 cylinders and later-model 750 Commando crankcases.

Combat describes a Norton as a 1972 750. Not what has been modified over the past 45 plus years. Mine is a '71 Fastback. The only things original on it are the tank, seat tailpiece, triple clamps. Everything else is not original. I would still describe it as a '71 Fastback.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 03:23:46 PM »
Combat describes a Norton as a 1972 750. Not what has been modified over the past 45 plus years. Mine is a '71 Fastback. The only things original on it are the tank, seat tailpiece, triple clamps. Everything else is not original. I would still describe it as a '71 Fastback.

Pete

Grandpa's hammer comes to mind .

I doubt if there are any combat spec Commandos still left that are in original as delivered tune left running except for a few museum pieces . Nortons can be a wonderful experience , or a complete nightmare . Owning and riding one requires a certain type of individual . The Fastback model was the prettiest Commando IMHO , just lovely motorbikes . The highly modified Commando built by Brian Slark probably some 30 years back was really nice , a MK4 chassis and motor , Fastback bodywork , which is harder to pull off than it sounds .

Dusty

LesP

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 03:40:17 PM »
Not all 1972 Norton 750's (Roadster / Interstate / Hi Rider) were delivered as Combat specification.

http://www.classicbike.biz/Norton/Brochures/Brochures.htm

The drum brake 1971 Fastback is one of my favourites.

LesP

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 04:07:13 PM »

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks, Les. A few months back I picked up a Combat basket case (wasn't blown up, was taken apart to restore, the owner then checked out - damn him!) and am gathering the missing bits. I always thought Commandos were gorgeous bikes, but had no intention of taking care of one. The 85LM -> 1000S conversion fills the bill for me, but life has a way with curve balls.

I am certainly no expert on anything including Commando's (Not to mention I am the dude who knows my 1973 Eldorado down to crankshaft plug but have never ridden a Moto Guzzi, yet) but know my 750 and 850 down to the last bolt also so if I can be of any help, no problem.
#
#
Someone asked me if it was a good idea progress wise to do numerous bikes at once, I said probably not.

My 850 right now but the engine is ready to go back together as we go into the hottest part of the year.
No paint or chrome. (original paint on the frame)

Full auto cylinder head with Kibblewhite valve train.
New 32 mm Amal Premiers.
NOS stock bore AE pistons.
Pazon Altair ignition or Smart Fire.
Replacement stock journal crankshaft (The original had a crack the length of the D/S PTO, crank cheek to rotor thread)
New main bearings.
Taper roller steering head bearings with shimmed spacer tube.
New RGM isolatics
New swing arm bushes and machined some collars to support the swing arm spindle.
19 x 2.5 inch Excels and Continental 100/90/19 Classic Attack Radials.
1/2 inch sleeve down kit for the stock front master cylinder.
John Bould (R.I.P) fork inserts (adjustable comp/rebound)
Ikon rear shocks.

1974 Mk2a Roadster.

I think like any 'old bike, if you go through them they end up ride-able with reliability, but as an investment on return, good luck with that.
The other week on FB, two complete Commando's and an 850 engine were offered @ US$2000, lets not forget over 50000 were built from 1968 to 1975 and most of them went to the USA.

You can almost build a new one from parts.

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop/

Bert Remington

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
I had a Red drum brake Fastback just like the picture purchased from Sonny Angel in Chula Vista.  Riding was great but "Owning ... requires a certain type of individual."  I couldn't get the primary case to seal.  After trying for over a year, I was running my finger around the O-ring groove and noticed it was much deeper in the turns than the straights.  I had reserved a 1st-gen Honda Civic from Long Beach Honda but a friend loaned me his Honda CB750 to pick up some beer while he entertained his girlfriend.  I came back in a hour.  That weekend I rode my CB750 back from LBH in lieu of the Civic. When the buyer of my Norton asked if there was anything he should do, I said drive around looking for bags of gold.  I stayed with UJMs until I had to slow down and bought a BMW K100 but that's another story.

I like looking at pictures of Nortons and seeing other people riding them (there's one in the neighborhood) but that was the end of the road for me and English machinery (REs have been made in India for a half-century).  oldbike54 nailed it.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »

My 68, recently got it running after many years of sitting around. Just installed new Amal Premiers and the bike runs great, one or two kicks. I’m still in the local test run phase(within walking distance of the garage) with dialing in carbs and chasing down some minor leaks. Replaced the kick start pawl and a gear in the transmission.  Ordered a new Indian made aluminum tank so I’m just using non-ethanol gas at the moment without any issues. I also replaced all of the isolastics but I don’t know if they need to be adjusted yet, though the engine isn’t thrashing around, so I guess that’s good. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here