Author Topic: Wonky LM3 headlight  (Read 710 times)

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
Wonky LM3 headlight
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:27:51 AM »
What's the story on the LM3 headlight? Is it a similar situation like the LM1 - the European version outlawed in the US, so a goofy workaround presented instead?

I recently got a LM3 and thought the PO replaced the headlight with something cheaply available. But the more I looked into replacements, found they were the exact same thing. Instead of being a European style halogen light, it's a common generic sealed beam that's the wrong size for the fairing opening and looks goofy as hell. So, of course, I want to make it right.

Am I on the right track? None of the photos in my searches show what I'm talking about - it's like they're all from the promo (which maybe didn't want to show such a goofball thing - it isn't flattering, after all)  or don't show the light at all.

I've found that the Europeans had the right light and the mounting brackets are a little different. I'm wondering if I can convert my brackets to accept the proper headlight? Anyone been there?

Along that same topic, this bike could really use some swan neck adjustable height bars like the V7S. A possibility would be to mock up the headlight ears like the LM4 with clamps and then weld longer 'risers' to the stock clip-ons. That way they could be low or a more comfortable higher position.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Wonky LM3 headlight
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »
What's the story on the LM3 headlight? Is it a similar situation like the LM1 - the European version outlawed in the US, so a goofy workaround presented instead?

I recently got a LM3 and thought the PO replaced the headlight with something cheaply available. But the more I looked into replacements, found they were the exact same thing. Instead of being a European style halogen light, it's a common generic sealed beam that's the wrong size for the fairing opening and looks goofy as hell. So, of course, I want to make it right.

Am I on the right track? None of the photos in my searches show what I'm talking about - it's like they're all from the promo (which maybe didn't want to show such a goofball thing - it isn't flattering, after all)  or don't show the light at all.

I've found that the Europeans had the right light and the mounting brackets are a little different. I'm wondering if I can convert my brackets to accept the proper headlight? Anyone been there?

Along that same topic, this bike could really use some swan neck adjustable height bars like the V7S. A possibility would be to mock up the headlight ears like the LM4 with clamps and then weld longer 'risers' to the stock clip-ons. That way they could be low or a more comfortable higher position.

The headlight you describe is correct for a US delivery Le Mans III. It's already "right" as-is.  :wink:

Stein-Dinse sells the European headlight. IIRC, it's also used on a Fiat 127(?) as well.
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=2847
However, it doesn't seem to come with the adjuster ring it mounts to and I don't even see a number that here.

Edit: Fiat 127 headlight (the cutoff might be for the "wrong" side of the road, best to check).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-Light-Front-Bilateral-Fiat-126-127-Melchioni/174203666616
Mounting/adjuster ring:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-127-Fiat-128-Fiat-900-Pulmino-headlight-bracket-light-support-left-right/223676663578

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:19:05 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 01:36:29 PM »
Thanks Charlie for confirming my suspicions.  :thumb:

It looks like converting to the 'proper' light requires replacing the headlight mounting ears, mounting ring and headlight. My headlight ears are shorter than the euro version, so won't work.

I'll have to search for the fiat light - anywhere but England.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 02:16:40 PM »
The rubber piece around the sealed beam is unobtainium.  If you find one used, BUY IT.  They are hard to find.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 02:16:40 PM »

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
The rubber piece around the sealed beam is unobtainium.  If you find one used, BUY IT.  They are hard to find.
Isn't there a workaround? I'll bet there's something that could be substituted.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here