Author Topic: V7 clutch problem  (Read 3719 times)

Offline jv7

• New Egg
V7 clutch problem
« on: June 19, 2020, 07:06:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone and am having some problems with the clutch. The bike has 11000 km. After putting about 100-200 km on after purchase, the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. The bike was pulling while stopped with the clutch lever fully pulled back. Shifting was difficult and neutral almost impossible to find. I had the clutch adjusted at the lever by a shop. After another 100 km (if that), the clutch has gone out of adjustment again. After the first adjustment, there was just a little bit of free play. Now the clutch lever needs to be pulled almost all the way to the handlebar before the clutch disengages. This is what happened the first time until it got to the point where I couldn't even fully disengage the clutch.

I took it to a shop again and they suggested it might need a new clutch. Just wondering if anyone has a second opinion about what might be causing the issue. I'd like to avoid paying for a new clutch if that's not actually the problem. Is there another way to test the clutch to see if it needs to be replaced? Could it just be the cable? The adjustment on the other end of the cable?

A few other notes that may/may not be relevant:

- both times I started having issues with the clutch it was a hot day so perhaps heat has something to do with it
- when the clutch lever is pulled, there is a high-pitched noise. This happens in gear or in neutral. The guy at the shop suggested it might be a bearing on its way out. Any idea what would cause this noise and if its related to the issue I'm having with the clutch adjustment?

Thank you!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 08:56:30 AM »
First of all welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.
Did you purchase the bike from a dealer or a private sale?
It certainly sounds like a problem with the clutch the lever should just have a little free play then you feel it start to lift.
Perhaps if you give your location you may have someone nearby who could take a look.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:10:51 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
Is this the era of V7 that Guzzi left the crank thrust washers out of?
Charlie

Offline Grokked

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:55:13 AM »
I had a similar problem and symptoms with my 2013 V7's clutch, and the eventual root cause found by my dealership/mechanic (Cleveland Moto) was corrosion at the the clutch release shaft's pivot pin, Item 5 in this diagram at the ever helpful HarperMoto: http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-lookup/2010-and-up-moto-guzzis/v7-special-stone-750-2012-2013/clutch-ii-en.html  The corrosion prevented the release shaft from moving through it's full range of travel and therefore never completely disengaging the clutch as a result. 

Unfortunately, this led to excess heat and wear on all the internal components of the clutch, some rather distinct freshly-cooked-clutch odor, and once the fix was determined, replacing everything inside the clutch housing.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:55:13 AM »

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
I had the same issue as you, constantly adjusting lever play, losing disengagement, and on hot days I could only shift and find neutral while moving until it got so badf I was just shutting my bike off at red lights.

I ended up having to replace my clutch rod and throw out bearing, the washers and bearing were basically disintegrated when I took them out. No problems since.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?326857-V7-Clutch-Rod-and-Throw-Out-Bearing-Replacement

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
I had the same issue as you, constantly adjusting lever play, losing disengagement, and on hot days I could only shift and find neutral while moving until it got so badf I was just shutting my bike off at red lights.

I ended up having to replace my clutch rod and throw out bearing, the washers and bearing were basically disintegrated when I took them out. No problems since.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?326857-V7-Clutch-Rod-and-Throw-Out-Bearing-Replacement
This is what I was hoping for an explanation and solution  :thumb:
The screeching noise is the bearing you see.
I wasn't sure if you could replace the throwout bearing without unbolting the gearbox..
Take the opportunity to give the drivetrain a good lube with Moly grease.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:58:50 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »
The V7 clutch operation can be somewhat sensitive. The free play at the top (hand lever) end should only be about 2mm (coin thuckness), and start engaging further out, rather than close to the handlebar. Reluctance to go smoothly into first is a sign that the cable needs adjusting.

Once you've run out of adjustment at the top, then it's time to adjust at the gearbox end, Pete Roper put up a succinct procedure on here - search "V7 clutch adjustment" till you find it. Copy & print out.

Yes, that pivot on the clutch arm can seize. That on my 2014 had only a restricted amount of movement, and was a real bugger to get out - those lugs on the cover require care in the application of force, even with the gearbox out of the bike. Cleaned it up, had the pivot machined smooth & it's now back in.

The thrust bearing/throw out bearing can be removed without taking the gearbox out, as per AF1's tutorial. It's a great deal easier with the swingarm removed. The outer body can be easily pulled out, with only a little reluctance from the o-ring. A magnet on the end of a stick can extract the thrust bearing. Note AF1's photo of the new & old components. The old-style bearing has cupped washers, and the new has flat ones. The new one is supposed to be more robust. At least here, Guzzi appears to be paying attention to detail.

When my 2010 Classic was young, it developed screeching in the gearbox. Turned out to be a bad batch of bearings in the V7's & Breva's of the time & all the gearbox bearings were replaced under warranty. This should not be the case here, but all you can do is start with the cheaper solutions first, one by one.

Only take the engine out once all other options have been exhausted. It's a big job & can be costly - some 6 hours labour quoted by those who've done more than a few. If you do it yourself, the first time (& likely the second & third time) will take longer. But, on the other hand, you do get to know a lot more about your machine.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline theoneandonlymin

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 02:13:16 AM »
V7 II Stone

Cheers
Min

Offline jv7

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »
Thank you all for the replies so far, much appreciated!

First of all welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.
Did you purchase the bike from a dealer or a private sale?
It certainly sounds like a problem with the clutch the lever should just have a little free play then you feel it start to lift.
Perhaps if you give your location you may have someone nearby who could take a look.

Thanks! I purchased it privately in Vancouver BC. Open to suggestions for a good shop in the area, if anyone has any recommendations, or to compensate someone for their time to look at it for me. I'm not well equipped (time, place, tools) to fix this on my own.

Is this the era of V7 that Guzzi left the crank thrust washers out of?

I believe it was mostly the following generation, the V7 IIs, that were affected by that.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 07:27:53 AM »
Not a V7, but on my 2009 Griso Luigi had forgotten that there should be a push bearing in the clutch release mechanism, and at about 13,000 km the clutch didn't fully disengage.

A tiny, inexpensive part; took the shop a few hours to diagnose and fix. Has been working fine after that fix.
Not to mention struggling with the not-so-operative clutch on a trip and in heavy traffic, and trying to tinker with it myself after I got home....
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 08:51:25 AM »
I sent you a message.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
The piddly metal tab that’s supposed to stop the adjuster rotating on my V85 was useless, because the tiny bolt holding it onto the bracket was not done up.
I fixed that and also put a small lock wire on the knurled ring....Done..!

Offline jv7

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 09:29:27 AM »
Hi everyone, sorry for the late follow-up.

It took a while to get the parts & find someone to work on the bike. However, I'm happy to report that replacing the following parts, as suggested, seems to have fixed the problem:

- Needle Roller Thrust Bearing (2A000376)
- Clutch Push Rod Inner Body / Cap (GU14086000)
- Clutch Push Rod (GU20085720)

I ended up purchasing the kit from AF1 (https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Moto-Guzzi-Clutch-Pushrod-wBearing).

Thank you all for the replies & suggestions. Happy to be riding again!

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
 :thumb:
Thanks for reporting back!

Hope you'll have a fine riding season!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »
Another possible solution.

Some time ago I lamented the excessively short engagement (by my estimation) throw of the Breva 750 clutch. I have just become aware of a possible cure by moving the lever perch out from the handelbar. I have ordered two of them. We'll see if it solves my issue.

https://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/products/rsc-perch-spacer

The RSC perch spacer is an option for those that wish to increase the lever-to-bar distance. The perch spacer moves the lever approximately 7.62mm(.3") further from the bar. This can be useful for riders with long fingers, or someone looking to move the engagement point further from the handlebar, as well as add additional lever/cable throw.
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »
Another possible solution.

Some time ago I lamented the excessively short engagement (by my estimation) throw of the Breva 750 clutch. I have just become aware of a possible cure by moving the lever perch out from the handelbar. I have ordered two of them. We'll see if it solves my issue.

https://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/products/rsc-perch-

Thanks for that link,  saves me a few hours making just one!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here