Author Topic: Brompton bikes  (Read 719 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Brompton bikes
« on: June 29, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »
Discovered Brompton folding bikes.  A local shop had just one 2 speed and I took it for a little jaunt.  Interesting bike, faster than it looks and pretty ergonomic.  Seems very quality built.  Though a 2 speed wouldn’t work for me in hilly San Diego, I’m considering ordering a 6 speed.  Oh - it’s largely hand built in England, though I’m sure some parts are sourced in Taiwan or China.

What experiences can you share on a Brompton?  Is it worth the 1500 - 2000 US dollar asking price?  (Which really isn’t much for a quality bike today)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:21:15 PM by vstevens »

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Brompton bikes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 06:31:46 AM »
We've had 2 for I think 7 years. Mine is a 3 speed, hers a 6 speed.

To most riders the "standard" gearing on all models is tall, but I like my 3 speed. Simple, fairly low maintenance.

The touring bag is the hot setup for luggage, enormous shopping capacity. When we bought them I was skeptical, and selected Brompton because I had bikes-that are better to ride for the most part-so if I bought a folder. it had to be a good folder more than anything.

So fenders, rack and T-bag plus dynamo lighting makes for a pricey bike, but it really works as an alternative to a car or scooter even in our somewhat hilly area. When I shop with it I take it into the store. I've used it in shopping cart mode (impresses everybody) but often I just walk around and drop stuff into the bag.

Decent bikes can seem expensive but they aren't toys. I keep mine semi-folded in the hall and grab it as I go out the door for errands. Lots of use and we plan on carrying them sailing.
As time has gone on arthritis has made it easier for my wife to use e-bikes so she also has a folding e-bike, though not a Brompton.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
They are definitely worth the price, IF you need a folding bike.  You can get a much better standard sized bike for less money, so you need to have a reason to want a folding bike.  If all you plan to do is ride it around San Diego and you have room for a bigger bike, I would get the bigger bike. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »

Aaron, you are using it exactly as I expect to, thanks for sharing your experience.  I can see a folding bike facilitating my commute and trips to the grocers.  And the Brompton seems to share the kind of fan base that Guzzi enjoys, deserved or not.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 06:18:36 AM »
One thing I recommend that I should have mentioned-I was mystified by mysterious and numerous flats (seemed numerous to e) which usually were the result of the valve stem getting damaged on the soft rubber at the base.

I deburred the wheels but the true problem I think was that the 16" wheels will lose pressure more quickly than you may think , and shifting of the tube inside encouraged the damage.

I use Schwalbe tubes with metal stems and locknuts, no flats since. You will see more tire wear than on a 700c bike.

Let me know how you fare, they are fun. We upgraded to 2 MKS folding pedals which I like better. Also Brooks saddle.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here