Author Topic: What are we afraid of?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: What are we afraid of?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 08:45:17 AM »
To be fair, as a relatively young person, we do need a certain amount of NGC to keep the board alive. Message forums are dying a not so slow death. I would prefer this one to stay around for as long as possible. We have a long standing thread on oatmeal, so let's just keep the NGC generic enough for everyone, and we'll be fine.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2021, 08:47:29 AM »
To be fair, as a relatively young person, we do need a certain amount of NGC to keep the board alive. Message forums are dying a not so slow death. I would prefer this one to stay around for as long as possible. We have a long standing thread on oatmeal, so let's just keep the NGC generic enough for everyone, and we'll be fine.

+1

Speaking of which, I wish this forum had a +1 feature. It could help cut down on comments in which one just wants to show support.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:53:18 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »
Let's all just freaking stop it. Right now.  My moderators locked a thread. And some of you choose to re-hash it and relive it anyways in a SEPARATE thread? WTF? I know it's shitty outside, but air your grievances elsewhere or you'll be shown the way out. I've about had enough and am ready to start kicking people out permanently. It's really simple. EVERYONE HERE agreed to abide by the rules when they signed up. You agreed to it, and then and only then, did I approve your account.

It seems like we have to make this same damned threat every week. I've raised 4 kids, and I never wanted to repeat myself more than once.
NO POLITICS
NO RELIGION
NO ATTACKS
LETS SIMPLY TALK MOTORCYCLES!!!

We're better than this folks.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »
Hey Luap, honest question: I don't know if it would have any bearing on costs for hosting, but would it be possible, or make any sense, to create a NGC sub-forum? Then there could be "General Guzzi Discusssion", and "General Non-Guzzi Discussion". That way, folks could navigate to one for bike stuff, or the other for puppy pics, oatmeal recipes, and natural disaster wellness checks. Obviously the same rules need to stay in place.

Just thought the idea was worth sharing, which does not mean I actually came up with a good idea this time. I know you and your mods don't hear it enough, but thanks for keeping this going.
2011 MG v7 Classic

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2021, 09:20:33 AM »
Except WG grows every year , and most of the members like the culture here .

Oh , you might have noticed , it was both mods who pulled the thread in question , and while we have been friends for years , we are very different politically .

Trust me on this , we know what WE are doing .

Dusty

Keyboard rhetoric needs limits.

Good job fellows'...

:-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:21:57 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »
Let's all just freaking stop it. Right now.  My moderators locked a thread. And some of you choose to re-hash it and relive it anyways in a SEPARATE thread? WTF? I know it's shitty outside, but air your grievances elsewhere or you'll be shown the way out. I've about had enough and am ready to start kicking people out permanently. It's really simple. EVERYONE HERE agreed to abide by the rules when they signed up. You agreed to it, and then and only then, did I approve your account.

It seems like we have to make this same damned threat every week. I've raised 4 kids, and I never wanted to repeat myself more than once.
NO POLITICS
NO RELIGION
NO ATTACKS
LETS SIMPLY TALK MOTORCYCLES!!!

We're better than this folks.

Thank you!!!
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2021, 09:30:11 AM »
There's always a standby topic for "Harley Bashing"   :boozing:

Should we start now?   :weiner:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2021, 09:39:46 AM »
There's always a standby topic for "Harley Bashing"   :boozing:

Should we start now?   :weiner:

Jealous much?   :violent1:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2021, 09:40:32 AM »
Hey Luap, honest question: I don't know if it would have any bearing on costs for hosting, but would it be possible, or make any sense, to create a NGC sub-forum? Then there could be "General Guzzi Discusssion", and "General Non-Guzzi Discussion". That way, folks could navigate to one for bike stuff, or the other for puppy pics, oatmeal recipes, and natural disaster wellness checks. Obviously the same rules need to stay in place.

Just thought the idea was worth sharing, which does not mean I actually came up with a good idea this time. I know you and your mods don't hear it enough, but thanks for keeping this going.

I've thought about it in the past and we even did a poll. The main problem is, we have way too many people that like to hit that "report to moderator" button. Even if we created a sub-forum for off topic rants with no real rules, it'd likely become a cesspool and we'd be overwhelmed with offended people with hurt feelings using that button. Plus, tensions could rise even more and that could lead to fist fights at rallies or camp-outs between folks that have actually been friends online.

I much prefer the approach that if someone is offended by something, they could just leave :laugh:. I know if I go somewhere and don't like the talk that's taking place, I simply walk out.

Maybe it's time to at least give it some thought again though, which I'll do. But I won't do it for a little while. I hate to react hastily to current situations.

Thanks,
Luap
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
I’m “afraid” that if all we talked about is Guzzi related stuff on here it would be a very boring and very low traffic site. I wonder if it was Guzzi only if I’d still even be around.

Agreed. That's why we've always given latitude on topics. If they're not generally offensive, we typically let it ride. I'd hate it if it were ONLY Guzzi stuff. It'd be rarely used, like all the other forums out there.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2021, 09:45:08 AM »
Jealous much?   :violent1:

Not a little bit but either way, it's a fallback.    :evil:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2021, 09:46:30 AM »
I think if you have a bone to pick with someone, just write them a PM. 
John L 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2021, 09:47:00 AM »
I've thought about it in the past and we even did a poll. The main problem is, we have way too many people that like to hit that "report to moderator" button. Even if we created a sub-forum for off topic rants with no real rules, it'd likely become a cesspool and we'd be overwhelmed with offended people with hurt feelings using that button. Plus, tensions could rise even more and that could lead to fist fights at rallies or camp-outs between folks that have actually been friends online.

I much prefer the approach that if someone is offended by something, they could just leave :laugh:. I know if I go somewhere and don't like the talk that's taking place, I simply walk out.

Maybe it's time to at least give it some thought again though, which I'll do. But I won't do it for a little while. I hate to react hastily to current situations.

Thanks,
Luap
please don't change anything. This site has worked better than any other forum I've been to. How long has the site operated this way? A long time I know. Every once in awhile someone suggests dividing the forum and most of us old timers just say, again? If it works don't mess with it.. Yahoo and many other internet sites should learn this lesson.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:51:06 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »
I'm really a nobody on this site. When that post got locked fairly quickly I was surprised but not really surprised. Personally I don't think it would of gone off track. The leash on this site absolutely needs to be a little longer. A little disagreement is healthy. Luap,don't kid yourself,if you want this site to grow you need a change. I look at some of these same rehashed threads and shake my head "how lame". It's like that old twilight episode. If you think thoughts that don't agree with the mod you get turned into a Jack in the box. Maybe your content with what you have. With the average on this site up there and I don't see any real new influx of youth,it's distended to wither and die.

I never kid myself. And, this sites has been growing steadily since 1998, so we must be doing something somewhat right. We have more activity and users than ANY OTHER Guzzi website in the entire world, and we grow by 10-15 members per day.

There is no youth in just about any motorcycle manufacturer these days. Look at the numbers. Motorcycling is dying across the board. Kids today would rather Uber.

My $.02
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2021, 09:54:09 AM »
+1

Speaking of which, I wish this forum had a +1 feature. It could help cut down on comments in which one just wants to show support.

We had that. We also had a "Like" feature. It was chastised to death so I nuked it.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:02 AM »
please don't change anything. This site has worked better than any other forum I've been to. How long has the site operated this way? A long time I know. Every once in awhile someone suggests dividing the forum and most of us old timers just say, again? If it works don't mess with it.. Yahoo and many other internet sites should learn this lesson.

Change is highly unlikely for the foreseeable future. "If it ain't broke"...

Can you believe this place is going on 23 years old this August? I never thought I'd see the day.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »
Change is highly unlikely for the foreseeable future. "If it ain't broke"...

Can you believe this place is going on 23 years old this August? I never thought I'd see the day.

23?! Anyone still using dialup to access?? lol
2011 MG v7 Classic

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2021, 10:06:19 AM »
".....some of you choose to re-hash it and relive it anyways in a SEPARATE thread? WTF?"

I thought the same thing, especially when you consider the original thread.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2021, 10:07:01 AM »

Getting old.

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2021, 10:09:20 AM »
23?! Anyone still using dialup to access?? lol

I was on dial up until 2005, so would you believe I maintained this place its first 5 years of existence via 28.8 baud modem?  Those were challenging times  :evil:
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2021, 10:13:13 AM »
"Wildguzzi is popular because of the diversity of people and topics. Veiled attempts, or outright, to throw gasoline on a fire will be dealt with. Luap's rules. His board. It is THAT simple!"

As it should be. Luap smells the smoke, goes for the firehose. Anybody who thinks that thread wasn't going to go off the rails quickly is very naive.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2021, 10:14:24 AM »
"much prefer the approach that if someone is offended by something, they could just leave :laugh:. I know if I go somewhere and don't like the talk that's taking place, I simply walk out."
 Yes, this works well for me in real life ....
 The main problem with Internet discussions is there's no chance of a punch in the nose for being rude....

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2021, 10:19:20 AM »
Not a little bit but either way, it's a fallback.    :evil:

How about small blocks aren't real Guzzis?  Or Hondas are sewing machines? 

I just found out electric bicycles have to be registered in Tennessee.  Now that is an interesting topic. 

Tennessee also charges a 400% up charge on registering an EV.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2021, 10:44:10 AM »
I never kid myself. And, this sites has been growing steadily since 1998, so we must be doing something somewhat right. We have more activity and users than ANY OTHER Guzzi website in the entire world, and we grow by 10-15 members per day.
 My $.02

And Guzzi still gave you the old back door with no reach around.
Don't change a thing!
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2021, 11:04:58 AM »
This is going to sound silly, but one of the reasons (not the primary ones) I bought a V9 Bobber is that the community here is friendly.

And that friendliness is fostered by the rules by which we abide.

The reason for the ban on politics, religion, and guns is those are divisive issues. And divisive by definition divides people.

And that's not the purpose of the board.
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2021, 11:12:44 AM »
Me too Shorty.
But I think the problem that a moderator has, is that he has to perceive an issue from the point of view of the potential reader, not necessarily himself.
I can call Dusty an idiot and the exchange starts and finishes with us, but if I call another member an idiot, Dusty cannot make a value judgement as to the level of hurt perceived by the recipient, he is obliged to act.
If you had a terrible affliction and I had the same affliction, you may feel that you are at liberty to bait or harass me on that topic because you have it also. You could say, “ see, it was only meant in jest, I’m no better..”
But if a member read that post and his young son or daughter had the same affliction, he could feel justifiably aggrieved on behalf of his child.
The preceding comments are not necessarily on point, but are meant as a commentary on how difficult it must be to throw a blanket of expected standard of etiquette over such a large mob and not miss someone around the edges.

I agree. I would not want the job of a moderator. Pretty sure my Hitlerian personality would emerge,  :wink: I was just defending NGC in my comments. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge and life experiences to be found here.  Everything from fine cooking lessons to how to hotwire your PCU.  :bow:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2021, 11:18:20 AM »
This is going to sound silly, but one of the reasons (not the primary ones) I bought a V9 Bobber is that the community here is friendly.

And that friendliness is fostered by the rules by which we abide.

The reason for the ban on politics, religion, and guns is those are divisive issues. And divisive by definition divides people.

And that's not the purpose of the board.

Many of us own multiple brands of motorcycles, and bashing another brand divides people. 

Bashing on small blocks by big block guzzi owners divides people.

Posting about any music artist whose songs lyrics have real meaning can be divisive. 

basically any personal opinions no matter what they are related to can be divisive.

Do we ignore posts we don't agree with?  Report those posts to the mods?  Send a PM to the person? Or post a comment expressing our opinion on the subject?
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:44 AM »
Many of us own multiple brands of motorcycles, and bashing another brand divides people. 

Bashing on small blocks by big block guzzi owners divides people.

Posting about any music artist whose songs lyrics have real meaning can be divisive. 

basically any personal opinions no matter what they are related to can be divisive.

Do we ignore posts we don't agree with?  Report those posts to the mods?  Send a PM to the person? Or post a comment expressing our opinion on the subject?

Yes.  People report all kinds of threads, all the time.

A person's political discussion needs can be sated on any number of the tens of thousands of news sites comments sections and online discussion forums.  Moto Guzzi discussions is available on only a few sites.  Wildguzzi is politics free in order to maintain a SNR weighted toward Guzzi subjects. 

On that note, Luap has weighed in.  This thread has run its course and I'm locking it.  We all know the rules and how the owner wants to run the place.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

R59
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2021, 11:30:13 AM »
 Let's tie this up fellas .

WG is unusual on the internet , this place is a virtual rally online , we run it as such . Might be hard to understand if you haven't rallied with us , but unlike most social media where anonymous posters attack other anonymous posters , most of us us here feel we know each other , because many of us do . On any given day I receive a couple of phone calls from members , mostly just to shoot the breeze , which is representative of how this place is more like real life than most social media .

In other words , and we can't stress this enough , take a beat before you post , this thread is a classic example of someone not thinking before hitting "post" , probably not out of bad intent , more that they haven't quite figured out why we run this place in a certain fashion .

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here