Author Topic: NGC. Had the RE650 out today  (Read 1238 times)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
NGC. Had the RE650 out today
« on: October 31, 2021, 09:17:53 PM »
Took the RE650 out to church yesterday to help my wife with the church yard sale she was running there. Took it to church again today to help pass out candy at trunk or treat! I'm finding the RE to be quite the urban assault vehicle to get across town in traffic!

Surprisingly, I had the only RE there! ;-) Kinda like I used to have the only Guzzi and only Ural most places I went.

Funny thing happened yesterday when I stopped to put gas in it. Had a problem and it took 20 minutes to put 1.9 gallons of gas into it! Had three Harley riders walk up to me as I got gas and the head guy said "I've never heard of one of them things before!" I told that from your tone sir I can tell you're in charge of stuff like that. Therefore, if you've never heard of it, it probably doesn't exist! We're all probably hallucinating it! His wife and son burst out laughing. And to his credit so did the viking guy in charge. We chatted for a bit. His wife was amazed I got 70 mpg out of it. His son seemed amazed when I started it up and it was so smooth you could read license plates in the rear view mirrors. Made for an interesting bit of RE delay factor. But I'm used to this riding oddball bikes all my adult life.

Lovely afternoon to be out on your bike. Hope you folks had a nice one too!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC. Had the RE650 out today
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 10:26:42 PM »
I was shopping bikes a couple of weeks ago. The Harley salesman had never heard of Moto Guzzi. Noy real surprised, not that MG is a bit obscure, but being in the business.   Geez.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 05:02:23 AM »
Nice bike, and looks like you've got it set up to go places.  Post up another picture or two along.  Wish I could claim 70 mpg.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 05:47:52 AM »
I made it to the local watering hole yesterday.  Only Guzzi out of about 50 or 60 bikes that came and went.  There was a gorgeous Apprila RSV or whatever the nomenclature was.  2 rare Italians in one spot.  It looks like the 300 plus or minus size bikes are coming on in the market if my informal research means much as there were several BMW branded 310s.  I bet on the twisty roads, such machines in capable hands can really carve.
Blue Guzz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 05:47:52 AM »

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 08:45:57 PM »
With my RE you may only have 49 HP. But the 6 speed makes it easy to keep it on the boil. The Brembos and Pirelli radials make it very flickable. Reminds me of a V50 Monza I had years ago. A baby Lemans! I find its a very easy bike to ride well. There is a great balance of properties in it.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 09:58:48 PM »
If you want more hp they got kits, make her snort.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
To me it isn't always about HP. Its about how what you got gets used. This bike has a very flat torque curve and is smooth as butter. The fueling is very smooth at all rpms. Its like the whole motor is one big sweet spot! They just really nailed it. Good brakes and suspension and light nimble handling. Its a very easy bike to ride very well. I'm not gonna screw up that terrific balance by "making it snort". What's the point of a couple more HP up top it that ruins the great mid range that I need for street riding? Besides. At 6k rpm ,it snorts just fine. Not looking to annoy myself with noise on trips.

This is a case of if it ain't broke, don't screw with it! I'm mature enough to recognize a great thing when I see it.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 07:19:29 PM »
Gotta agree with ya.  I've had two nice rides on the RE650 and it's a real peach.  A total blast to ride.  I'll get seriously interested when they have cast wheels.  NO MORE spoke wheels for me-ever!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline exiledrebel

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 12:42:06 PM »
I took a test ride on a 650 Interceptor last month at the motorcycle show. I was very impressed by it and thought the suspension was really good, especially at that price point. It was just a fun, easy bike to ride, right from the beginning of the ride. The handling was good and inspired confidence without any real learning curve required. I would like to have one but don't have room for a third bike in the garage and don't plan to sell either of the two I have.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 04:18:49 PM »
Was out on my '21 RE Interceptor yesterday. 3000 miles since new 12/'20.  No problems at all, but some reports of electrical problems by some owners. I smile, enviously, when some owners report liking the OEM suspension.  Under my paltry134#, my bike's suspension is as rigid as a Harley JD model!  The YSS fork upgrade is on order and IKON shocks are under consideration.  My seat's build date by Russell's is 12/7. 

The Interceptor is really a pleasant bike to ride, as has been posted.  Horsepower is immaterial to me and this bike pulls nicely in all gears from as little as 2000 rpm without complaint.  Valve adjustment at 300 miles was a challenge, especially when compared to any Guzzi V-twin.  Other servicing is easy and straightforward.  A very nice bike for the money ($6820 OTD).  An unlimited mileage 3 year warranty and roadside assistance, plus ABS standard, went a way to making my decision to get one easy.  There is a very helpful owners forum on the Net.  "Unofficial Royal Enfield Owners Forum".  A small group, generally not as technically proficient as WGC, but growing and enthusiastic.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 04:42:51 PM »
To me it isn't always about HP. Its about how what you got gets used. This bike has a very flat torque curve and is smooth as butter. The fueling is very smooth at all rpms. Its like the whole motor is one big sweet spot! They just really nailed it. Good brakes and suspension and light nimble handling. Its a very easy bike to ride very well. I'm not gonna screw up that terrific balance by "making it snort". What's the point of a couple more HP up top it that ruins the great mid range that I need for street riding? Besides. At 6k rpm ,it snorts just fine. Not looking to annoy myself with noise on trips.
This is a case of if it ain't broke, don't screw with it! I'm mature enough to recognize a great thing when I see it.

I've just done the first service on mine including valve clearances, a complete doddle to do. It's a great bike, totally smooth torquey engine, clean shifting gearbox, EFI that carburates perfectly, ABS, easy to service, good economy. The things they've cut corners on to keep the cost down are the things that are easy and simple to replace so, mirrors, turn indicators etc. As a bike for the wife and I to ride to the café or local winery for lunch/breakfast or for a pleasant cruise in the rural roads around where we live it's great. It's amazing what you get for the money, the quality of the stuff that matters is very good. Spare parts are laughable cheap after a lifetime of Italian bikes. Scratch the fuel tank or decide you'd like a different colour for next seasons riding? well just go and but a new one at $350us delivered. A set of stainless mufflers of exceptional quality with hand TIGed welds, $400 delivered. I've bought quite a lot of stuff from Indian ebay sellers in the last 6 months and all I can say is it's been the easiest and most reliable transactions I've ever done from any sellers ebay or not in 20 years.
If you want an easy fun bike to ride and are over "must have lots of power" thing and is exceptional value then you can't go wrong.

Ciao

picture uploader
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:56:39 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 06:04:52 PM »

Sounds just like a vintage Brit 650 twin with less vibration..

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 07:09:25 PM »
270 degree crank makes it feel more like a 90 degree V twin as it runs. Sounds like a 90 as well. Even smoother than my Guzzi's since the fly wheel isn't that huge to twist you to one side when you're stopped. It really is buttery smooth at all rpm's. Has power to get you past 80 in a few seconds and will cruise happily at 65-70 in 6th. If you're a 55 guy, use 5th.

A few of the bikes have had a case of relay-itis that killed the fuel pumps. Just get four better quality relays and pop them into place under the left side cover. My 2000 V11S had the relay issues. No big deal to put some better ones in.

My weight is down to 260 lb. now and the stock suspension  with tire pressures set to the 2 up setting feels perfect to me. Firm, but well controlled and comfortable enough to travel.

Mine was delivered in early March of '21. I have no complaints at all.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 08:44:39 PM »
RE is making some neat machines!  Love your enthusiasm for the new twin.  I plan to go lighter, which might mean either a new RE or a lightly used W800 ...... maybe new if I can deal.  I spent 50k miles on a W650 and found it to be a wonderful little machine that was great around town and not bad if I had to push it for several Interstate miles.  I imagine the RE twin is the same.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 04:53:29 AM »
^^That Orange Crush gets me every time!  Thanks for the picture!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 07:38:35 AM »
Another thumbs up for this bike. Though my ride was brief, about ten miles on a virtually new machine, I was very impressed with engine tractability and smoothness as well as the buttery gearbox. I would consider one if I had room in the garage. If they make a 750, I would be in as I could sell one of my long distance bikes. I know they make kits but I would prefer to let the factory do the sorting. Right now its only slightly more capable than my KLR on the open road.

Pete

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
RE is making some neat machines!  Love your enthusiasm for the new twin.  I plan to go lighter, which might mean either a new RE or a lightly used W800 ...... maybe new if I can deal.  I spent 50k miles on a W650 and found it to be a wonderful little machine that was great around town and not bad if I had to push it for several Interstate miles.  I imagine the RE twin is the same.

Bob
Maybe a bit off topic, but there's what looks and reads to be a nice W650 in the Swap Meet section, above.
Priced right too. I'm fighting temptation myself.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 05:10:43 PM »
Another thumbs up for this bike. Though my ride was brief, about ten miles on a virtually new machine, I was very impressed with engine tractability and smoothness as well as the buttery gearbox. I would consider one if I had room in the garage. If they make a 750, I would be in as I could sell one of my long distance bikes. I know they make kits but I would prefer to let the factory do the sorting. Right now its only slightly more capable than my KLR on the open road.

Pete

One tooth more on the countershaft sprocket make quite a difference to open road performance without sacrificing urban riding even 2 up. I'm not sure why they geared it so low, maybe for the Local market but the $40 investment is well worth the money.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 06:20:23 PM »
Maybe a bit off topic, but there's what looks and reads to be a nice W650 in the Swap Meet section, above.
Priced right too. I'm fighting temptation myself.
Can't find it.  Can you send a link to the  Swap Meet section?

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 05:34:10 AM »
Here's the Swap Meet ad, Bob:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=112848.0

It's all I can do not to make a run down there myself.  Such pretty bikes with the engine as the center piece.

Sarah

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 08:53:29 AM »
I have ridden both of the current RE 650 twins and they are really good bikes with smooth even power delivery..........j ust really nice to ride. The suspension is budget but not bad, but the seats are not particularly comfy if you weigh 210. Light guys seem to like them though. I was going to buy a Continental GT 650 this summer but that promo Moto Guzzi ran back on Black Friday 2020 did it for me and I went for the V7III Special and it was only around $700 more OTD than the RE. And as much as I like the RE bikes (I have a Classic Chrome 500), I would take a V7 III or a V7 any time as first choice.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Bee

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »
This thread touches upon my recent dilemma. Choosing either a RE GT650 or a new V7 850.  I test rode the RE and liked it a lot. Amazing VFM really, nice paint, felt decent. As stated elsewhere upon closer inspection you can see where the build quality just let it down a tad. Stuff like messy cables and bracketry, nothing major. I Had a few sleepless nights over it.

In the end I went for my Centenario because (apart from the fact I really like how it looks) it’s shaft drive (big bonus) and IMO is a higher quality build. We pay extra for it I know but I plan/hope to keep this V7 a long time so I decided in the long run it was the best decision (for me).

2023 V7 Stone Special

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »
Brr, I agree 100% and the VFM is fantastic with the RE. But if you can afford the V7, it is the better bike. My 2 cents.....3 or 4 with inflation. And the V7 engine feels like there is an animal inside!  A friend of mine described it as 2 pitbulls trying to get out, or something like that. Enjoy!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here