Author Topic: Blasting off  (Read 439 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Blasting off
« on: May 09, 2021, 10:59:30 AM »
Getting ready to catch the bus to boston to catch the plane to San Diego to ride the rt beemer waiting at my buddies house in SoCal. Daughter and I are hoping to see the PCH, Yosemite, Big Sur, Sequoia forest and whatever else we can squeeze in 10 days or so.  Please wish us luck especially after the morning ride i had yesterday. Went for my usual coffee stop and while stopped at an intersection , red light , first in line at the light, the woman in the ford excursion behind me decides to gas it on green and mow me and my 1400 custom over. Pushed me down to the right side and pinned my right ankle between the bent up floor board and the engine block. No fractures just a good old twist sprain. Got lucky ,I guess.  I'll post post more on that when we , if we return. NC Dan knows the details and is welcome to share. Too much planning and commitments to cancel the trip and the doc gave me an air cast and said go if you feel you can, just watch  out for any more swelling or redness, took a spin on the griso this am with no issues other than typical pain,stiffness but already better than yesterday after icing it al night. If it acts up we'll ditch the bike and rent a cage but I think we,ll be fine. so off we go.
Stay safe out there all you brothers and sisters, some things are just unavoidable I guess, but expect the unexpected always.  More when we return.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Blasting off
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 11:16:13 AM »
Rest in the fact that hopefully the C&J bus seats will hopefully be more uncomfortable than the rest of the miles you’ll be putting on the bikes  :wink:

And heal quickly. Thankfully it wasn’t worse.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
Hi Lucian,                                                                                                      5-9-21

So sorry to hear what happened to you.  I sure could have been worse, but was bad enough as you described it.  I hope the rest of your trip will be smooth and bring lots of smiles.  Please report on your healing process and the Cali's.

Be well, Stay well,

DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 12:01:08 PM »
I guess a good nites sleep helped you with the decision to ROCK AND ROLL👍
You and the little girl be safe and have fun my friend. If anything happens and you need help, you call me as I have a closed in trailer and fine dodge truck, as well as a fine navigator in Lisa and we will come and get you guys.
Lisa said, that is if you’ll send her the picture 😂😂😂👍

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. Sorry about what happened but it’s great that you walked away.
Be on your toes with the drivers out here. California is opening back up, and it seems like this past week the traffic has gotten as bad as it every was and the cages are acting worse than before. Stay off the freeways if you can, there’s lots of good alternative routes. The weather’s been grand and this is a great time of year to see those places. Reach out if you need anything in SoCal. Happy trails!
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 12:48:07 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  I hope it all turns out ok and you have a good trip despite it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 01:35:47 PM »
What Kane said is right on about the drivers here in SoCal. They are on a suicide mission. Watch out for white cars coming up on the right side of you doing 90+ on the freeway while the lemmings tailgate. Stay out of LA at all costs unless you are transiting early Sunday morning going north from San Diego and transit the 101 through the valley going south on a weekday (Tues.-Thurs.) at about 11am to 2pm. The 101 is particularly dangerous as in many places there is very little shoulder and all it takes is one accident to totally back the freeway up. If I were you, I would take the 15 north to the 395 and go up through Lone Pine to Bishop and north to the turnoff for Yosemite (I think it is the 120) but be aware that it will most likely be bumper to bumper through the Park. Then head west to Monterey (numerous ways to go) and south through Big Sur (if the road is repaired) to Morro/San Luis Obispo and the back down the 5 to San Diego. Whew! That got me tired just thinking about it. If you are just staying in the San Diego area there are many back roads to go on out to the desert/Julian/Idyllwild/Palm Springs/Borrego/Salton Sea/Palomar mountain and one of my favorites through Shelter Valley to Butterfield Stage Stop to Ocotillo Wells. Nice long ride with desert scenery...

1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 02:34:10 PM »
You may just beat the Yosemite reservation system for the 2021 season.  I think it starts May 21st. No ticket, no entry.  Don't know about Sequoia.  Hwy 120 is still snowed in at the summit anyway, but might be open by the time you arrive.  I'm heading that way the first two weeks of June.  Hope to ride all the Sierra passes.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here