Author Topic: 200K Tires  (Read 1941 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
200K Tires
« on: July 29, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
Here’s 200,000 miles of old motorcycle tires, accumulated since acquiring a No Mar.  I finally got around to gathering them up to take them in. 

Somebody told me to keep them to grow small potatoes.  You pile dirt and potato spuds in a stack of tires.  Let them grow. Then kick over the tire stack to harvest your spuds.

But I’ve never gotten around to growing potatoes. 

A No Mar tire changer very quickly pays for itself. 

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:21:31 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 200K Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 10:31:16 PM »
Here’s 200,000 miles of old motorcycle tires, accumulated since acquiring a No Mar.  I finally got around to gathering them up to take them in. 

Somebody told me to keep them to grow small potatoes.  You pile dirt and potato spuds in a stack of tires.  Let them grow. Then kick over the tire stack to harvest your spuds.

But I’ve never gotten around to growing potatoes. 

A No Mar tire changer very quickly pays for itself. 

That picture is so cool. It shows some serious street cred. I could never let tires stack up at home like that. Off to the dump after each tire change.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 05:44:02 AM »

A No Mar tire changer very quickly pays for itself

Well, I'm having a heck of a time trying to get there.  I haven't had a problem demounting but mounting is a different story.  Between technique, lube & getting the tire in the well of the wheel has not yielded the desired mounting results that I thought would be ezpz.  After more than a decade of using a Coats changer at a multi brand mc dealer, I thought the NoMar was an inexpensive option for my small assortment of personal rides but now think I should have spent twice as much for a Derek Weaver set up, etc.  I've watched the NoMar vids over and over to attempt to determine what I'm not doing correctly.  Maybe one of these days something will click in my brain so I can begin fully utilizing my NoMar.  I plan on dragging it out of the corner of the garage in September to do a couple of wheels, I'll wish myself good luck.  The demo at the '19 bike show in CLE made it look so incredibly easy so I bought one.  Oh well. :sad:
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 05:50:03 AM »
Yep, 12 tires on mine, and in this relatively short ownership time I've got her paid for. Go No Mar!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 05:50:03 AM »

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 11:34:36 AM »
I bought a no mar from a buddy, it's in the shed next to the tiller. But I have another buddy that has a real tire machine that can mount and balance a tire in a few minutes and not even say ONE dirty word or break a sweat. My time is better spent doing my job and flip him a 20 and a few beers and call it good.  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 12:40:20 PM »

Well, I'm having a heck of a time trying to get there.  I haven't had a problem demounting but mounting is a different story.

I basically follow the No Mar instructions but learned two important tricks. 

It is vastly easier to work with a tire if it is plenty hot.  I leave mine out in the Texas summer sun for a few hours.  Or in the winter, I’ll put them over a hot car engine with a blanket on top to let the heat soak in. 

Second, I’ve got 3 of those long ratchet style wood clamps you use for holding wood together to glue.   I use these to squish the two beads together on the opposite side from where I’m working.  That makes it easy to force the far side of the tire into the drop center, which is how you get the clearance to mount the tire on the bead seat. 

Sometimes I’ll also use a few short tire irons in addition to the No Mar bar.   The key is never to force it—it should go on with only moderate persuasion, otherwise you aren’t doing something right

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 01:49:41 PM »
I have changed several hundred tars for myself and friends. The NoMar had paid for itself many times over.  It is the only tool in my garage that has actually paid for itself and now makes beer. Two years ago I quit charging buddy's for tar changes. Now after I change them a day or two later a case or two of beer is sitting outside the garage.

I did buy 3 HF motorcycle tire changers on closeout a month or so back. The plan is to rig up a duckbill mount/dismount set up and a few other mods then give them to some friends that live too far away for me to easily change their tars.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 03:31:21 PM »

Well, I'm having a heck of a time trying to get there.  I haven't had a problem demounting but mounting is a different story.  Between technique, lube & getting the tire in the well of the wheel has not yielded the desired mounting results that I thought would be ezpz.  After more than a decade of using a Coats changer at a multi brand mc dealer, I thought the NoMar was an inexpensive option for my small assortment of personal rides but now think I should have spent twice as much for a Derek Weaver set up, etc.  I've watched the NoMar vids over and over to attempt to determine what I'm not doing correctly.  Maybe one of these days something will click in my brain so I can begin fully utilizing my NoMar.  I plan on dragging it out of the corner of the garage in September to do a couple of wheels, I'll wish myself good luck.  The demo at the '19 bike show in CLE made it look so incredibly easy so I bought one.  Oh well. :sad:

I tried a friend's No-Mar on a pair of (tubed) Guzzi wheels once and it was less than easy for me. My brother bought a Coats 200 Cycler for me in NC on one of his road trips for $360 and from the start I found it much easier to use. Super easy on tubeless of course. It too has more than paid for itself - at last count we have changed 72 tires.
Charlie

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 03:31:35 PM »
I hope you take those tires to a tire place to recycle them rather than throw them in the dump where they'll stay for eternity!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »
I basically follow the No Mar instructions but learned two important tricks. 

It is vastly easier to work with a tire if it is plenty hot.  I leave mine out in the Texas summer sun for a few hours.  Or in the winter, I’ll put them over a hot car engine with a blanket on top to let the heat soak in. 

Second, I’ve got 3 of those long ratchet style wood clamps you use for holding wood together to glue.   I use these to squish the two beads together on the opposite side from where I’m working.  That makes it easy to force the far side of the tire into the drop center, which is how you get the clearance to mount the tire on the bead seat. 

Sometimes I’ll also use a few short tire irons in addition to the No Mar bar.   The key is never to force it—it should go on with only moderate persuasion, otherwise you aren’t doing something right

Thanks for the advice!  I haven't given up yet, I'll give it another go in sept/oct possibly.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »
When I can’t get one to take air, I put a TIE DOWN RATCHET STRAP around the tire and tighten it up. This has worked most every time for me. I also always remove the valve stem if a new one was added, to allow aid in faster.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »
I hope you take those tires to a tire place to recycle them rather than throw them in the dump where they'll stay for eternity!

In Pennsylvania at least it is very easy to properly dispose of tars for a minimal fee. Take them to any tire shop/garage give the owner $2 per tar (the PA disposal fee) and they will heap them up on their tar pile for when the truck comes to haul them off.

I wish more people knew this so they would stop throwing them in the woods and streams.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 09:04:15 PM »
I too have a NoMar (that I call a NO MORE) that I have been less that impressed with.  Some tires, like Michelins, go on relatively easy, others like Pirelli GT's are almost impossible.  End up using every tire iron in the tool box, which turns the NoMar into an overpriced tire stand.  I've been meaning to buy a MoJo bar and see it it makes it any easier.  The NoMar mounting bar slips out too easily.   
I saw this nifty little tire mounting device on another web site.  Made in Poland, I think, he sells them on Ebay for quite a bit less than a NoMar:

http://www.olmaxmotors.pl/index.php/video#

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 09:31:39 PM »
Found this video review.  Sure wish I'd known about this machine before I bought my NoMar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNk1lRv5Gww

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 10:12:26 PM »
Found this video review.  Sure wish I'd known about this machine before I bought my NoMar.

. Great video…looks like good quality and easy to use
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 11:38:25 PM »
I recently upgraded from a Harbor Freight unit to a No Mar with a hitch adapter. I am really pleased with it and have a 5 tires in the side yard, just waiting for #6 before I go recycle them.

I struggled with the No-Mar installer tool. I already had gotten proficient with the Mojo Lever, so I just use that. I got the "yellow thing" bead-lock and that is quite handy.

BTW - I have a HF tire changer mounted on a pallet. It has the Mojo Blocks installed. Free to whoever can pick it up. Mojo lever not included.

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 04:24:04 AM »

You can also buy a $18 duckbill and adapt it to a piece of 3/4" pipe.

I really enjoy these videos that show mounting a 180 series super soft tire that can almost be mounted w/o tools. Show me a 90 or 110 series tire with super stiff sidewalls.

When I 1st got my NoMar I put an ad on CL bring me your wheel and tar and I'll change it. I loved when the sport bike guys would show up with a rear wheel/tar. Not only were the tar very install they did not last long. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:31:30 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 05:34:32 AM »
I have a NoMar sitting collecting dust. A highly qualified Guzzi mechanic couldn't get it to work, maybe because they were all old tars.

In Texas they charge $5 to properly dispose of an old tar. So ole Bubba throws them off in a didtch and us tax payers have to pay to pick them up and dispose of them. It should be free to get rid of old tires, then they wouldn't be an eyesore all over the country side.

SmithSwede. The stacking of tars and filling them with dirt to plant potatoes gave me a potato plant with a 4' root and the original seed potato at the bottom of the stack. Idea looked good when I read about it in a magazine.

Tex

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 05:49:41 AM »
I have a NoMar sitting collecting dust. A highly qualified Guzzi mechanic couldn't get it to work, maybe because they were all old tars.

In Texas they charge $5 to properly dispose of an old tar. So ole Bubba throws them off in a didtch and us tax payers have to pay to pick them up and dispose of them. It should be free to get rid of old tires, then they wouldn't be an eyesore all over the country side.

SmithSwede. The stacking of tars and filling them with dirt to plant potatoes gave me a potato plant with a 4' root and the original seed potato at the bottom of the stack. Idea looked good when I read about it in a magazine.

Tex

They don't even have to make disposal free. Collect a disposal fee upon the sale and then when it comes time to dispose simply take to any tire retailer and drop off.

We have bi-annual bulk trash collection where the township states they will take up to 8 tars off the rim for free. Several years ago I loaded up 25 motorcycle tars thinking they'd take 8 then I'd go to the local garage and pay the $2 per to get rid of the other 17. Within a minute the crew had my truck totally unladed, closed the tailgate and said you're all ready to go.

Since then in April and October I load up as many tars as I have at that time and take them to bulk trash. I guess they figure better to take them than risk improper disposal.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »

Quote from: Perazzimx14 on Today at 10:24:04 AM

I really enjoy these videos that show mounting a 180 series super soft tire that can almost be mounted w/o tools. Show me a 90 or 110 series tire with super stiff sidewalls.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _______

Indeed, especially on an old Guzzi wheel with it's rough finished alloy, I've uttered many an obscenity whilst grunting that LeMans front onto the rim.
That said the Olaxmotor does look like a nice piece of kit...

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 04:31:27 PM »
Yes, one of the problems I have with the NoMar is the wheel slipping in the mounting blocks.  A long locating pin like the Olaxmotor uses would really help hold the wheel from turning.  Guess I'll try to remember to use the strap method next time.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 05:43:30 AM »
I just pay the $20 and let someone else have the fun of changing the tire and balancing the wheel. 

I did use a HF tire changer years ago but it was just in the way most of the time. 

If I didn't have the place nearby, I guess I would go to the zip tie method I've seen videos on.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »

Quote from: twowheeladdict on Today at 11:43:30 AM

If I didn't have the place nearby, I guess I would go to the zip tie method I've seen videos on.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ____

I've used the zip tie method on a Ducati rear tyre before but, as discussed above, it's a wide, soft tyre on a smooth finished wheel.
There's no way It'd work on the stiff, skinny tyre/rough cast wheel combination on my Guzzi.   

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »
When a road gets a new TAR seal, and you ride with new TARS, does that make you a TAR TAR?

:thumb: :thumb:

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »
Not everyone recognizes the value of a tire machine or even values one and prefers to pay someone else to do tar changes. That's good for me, makes beer for the fridge.

Yes my machine does sit stagnant for weeks sometimes months but so does the 45mm socket I used once. But when I needed it it was nice to have.

I like having a tar changer at my disposal as the $20 fee is only part of the equation.

1. I save 30 to 50% buying tars online and having them shipped to my door.
2. I can change tars when I want not when shop can fit me in.
3. I can swap tars around. Going on a trip that is 3000 miles but that old tar only has 1500 miles left. I can spoon on  a new one for the trip and when I get back swap them out to finish up the old tar and get my moneys worth out of it.
4. I can by TMPS sensors for $18 and change them out in stead of a dealer charging $130 for the sensor and then a tar changing fee
5. I don't have to drop off wheels or bike at a shop and wait for them to change the tars. Personally I'd prefer to spend Saturday morning riding not sitting in a shop waiting for the shop monkey to change the tars.
6. I can internally plug tars

So yes a a shop that charges $20 on the surface seems like a good value until you ad in all the parts of the equation. Also lot of fellows tout inexpensive tire changes but that is the rider pulling the wheels and bring them to the shop. Getting the wheels off the bike is the lions share of the work.

The reality is my $500 NoMar really was paid off within the 1st 4 tires in money savings, convenience and ability to use the entire tire.

I agree 100% which is why I love living out in the country. I buy online and bring them in with the wheel. Get some breakfast or go back home and pick them up later and eat lunch out.  Don't have many opportunities to eat out when home.

Don't do long trips via motorcycle any more. Longest trip was last Wednesday - Sunday and was only 1100 miles.

At $20 I'd have to have 25 more tire changes just to break even. Removing the wheels is fun.  Changing a tire is work.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 07:05:27 PM »
TWA! $20 a tire!?! Sweet. :thumb: I don't blame you.
Haven't seen any shop doing it that cheap in a long time.
Had used Cycle Gear for the longest ($25, if tire bought thru them) until I went through the usual "make appointment/ get them there" routine and they bailed when seeing the black rims on the GRiSO. "Not going to be responsible for scratches"
though they had done them countless times before for me :thewife:
Took them to the BMW shop nearby and the owner had a good laugh that they were from a Goozi. He said "Nope, go to your Goozi dealer..".
Funny guy..
Guzzi dealer (where I bought the bike!) bent me over $50 a tire.
Last straw, and last time I was inconvenienced.
Have Zero issues doing it on my cheapo machine and on my schedule getting the most out of the tires.
I do have 3 bikes on the road and they all get ridden. That helps.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 07:26:13 PM »
TWA! $20 a tire!?! Sweet. :thumb: I don't blame you.
Haven't seen any shop doing it that cheap in a long time.
Had used Cycle Gear for the longest ($25, if tire bought thru them) until I went through the usual "make appointment/ get them there" routine and they bailed when seeing the black rims on the GRiSO. "Not going to be responsible for scratches"
though they had done them countless times before for me :thewife:
Took them to the BMW shop nearby and the owner had a good laugh that they were from a Goozi. He said "Nope, go to your Goozi dealer..".
Funny guy..
Guzzi dealer (where I bought the bike!) bent me over $50 a tire.
Last straw, and last time I was inconvenienced.
Have Zero issues doing it on my cheapo machine and on my schedule getting the most out of the tires.
I do have 3 bikes on the road and they all get ridden. That helps.

My Griso 1100 was why I bought a tar machine. Needed a new rear tar took it into the local shop and they sold me what they had on the shelf (overpriced aged NOS) and I had to come back in 3 hours. Wheel was off the bike and tire was right there. This is a 5 minute job.

Their willingness to gouge lead me to buy my tire machine and in the long run it has cost them around 400 tire changes so far. This is also the same shop that wanted $7 for a rim strip. The same rim strip that is a $1.25 for at any online retailer or $0.15 cents of electrical tape will take care of.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:02:10 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 07:29:31 PM »
Around here, they charge $45 a tire.. if you bring it in. Changing one set more than paid for my HF tire changer with home made mojo blocks and mojo lever. I'd have a hard time remembering how many tires I've changed with it. Of course, at my age I have a hard time remembering yesterday.. :evil: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here