Author Topic: A smaller sized touring bike?  (Read 6892 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A smaller sized touring bike?
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »
Started this thread looking for a touring bike with factory fairing and bags at a wet weight around 500 pounds, capable of hauling rider, passenger and luggage for a multi day tour. (The GL650. Weighed in around 530 lbs.) I thought 30 years of technology could produce such a bike if it was desired but maybe it’s not? I realize just about any bike could have bags thrown over the back and ridden for days on end. I’m thinking of a factory set up touring bike around 500 pounds that can carry 2 people comfortably. Is it possible?

Yes, I realize ANY motorcycle can be used for touring.  But a mid weight “factory bike” with fairing and bags capable of caring 2 people reasonably comfortably ?
?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2021, 04:21:18 PM »
I decided to put together a sport touring bike to fit my needs this past Spring. 2021 RE Conti GT. Added a touring saddle side bags and then a factory rack that I put a Givi universal baseplate on. Then a Givi 45 liter trunk. Perfect solo sport tourer for me. The 270 degree crank makes it smooth like a Guzzi. 70 mpg out on the road. (Euro 4 cert) I think the suspension and brakes are great. I've been told the Conti has stiffer springs than the INT. It suits my 250# short bulk well. I got it broken in before I got my new knee installed. Started riding again last week 10 weeks after the knee installation. VERY pleased to be back riding and working my way up to touring on it this Fall!

yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »
   That new Benelli TRK looks pretty good. Seem to be popular in Europe. Pretty good reviews. I sat on one and liked it. Deal breaker for me was no center stand.

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »
guzziboy66 been looking at that bike myself. I found one that has been lowered. 21ltr tank, 400km from said tank and 213kg wet, 110hp at 11500rpm.

You could also look at a Benelli 899 Trek.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:10:01 PM by stubbie »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2021, 10:14:12 PM »
I decided to put together a sport touring bike to fit my needs this past Spring. 2021 RE Conti GT. Added a touring saddle side bags and then a factory rack that I put a Givi universal baseplate on. Then a Givi 45 liter trunk. Perfect solo sport tourer for me. The 270 degree crank makes it smooth like a Guzzi. 70 mpg out on the road. (Euro 4 cert) I think the suspension and brakes are great. I've been told the Conti has stiffer springs than the INT. It suits my 250# short bulk well. I got it broken in before I got my new knee installed. Started riding again last week 10 weeks after the knee installation. VERY pleased to be back riding and working my way up to touring on it this Fall!

Interesting; you find the OEM Enfield 650 suspension great and I find it awful (hard).  The answer lies in the rider's weight, apparently.  You weigh 250# and I'm 133# this morning.
I need to give serious consideration to the Big Mac diet.

Ralph 
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2021, 05:45:48 AM »
Interesting; you find the OEM Enfield 650 suspension great and I find it awful (hard).  The answer lies in the rider's weight, apparently.  You weigh 250# and I'm 133# this morning.

Ralph
I test rode an Enfield Int several months ago and found the suspension as you did ................. very stiff over our not so good roads.  To be fair, I find many bikes to be sprung too stiff for my 160 pounds (dry wt.)  I guess I prefer bikes that many would find too lightly sprung.
Example, I found my 2008 1200 Sport especially compliant, after minimal time spent tweaking the stock suspension.  Conversely, I could never get this compliance out of my 2012 Griso 8vSE.  Main reason the Sport was ridden 4x as many miles as the Griso over same time period.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2021, 06:05:28 AM »

For a lightweight, inexpensive Guzzi touring bike, this:

Wondered why it took so long.  I have had mine for close to 18 years now and it does everything I want it to.  Tours just great.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2021, 06:12:48 AM »
My Breva750 is a great smaller touring bike, and this is my second one - which I plan on having for a few years until I buy a V7 850 Stone and rig it out the same way - small screen + HB racks for my HB bags + centrestand, or......maybe the new road going V85 based thing will come along and I will go for that (and ride it until I cark it!). For reference I'm 5 foot 3.

Reading the conversation its apparent theres a huge difference between European/UK touring and touring in the US. The twisty roads start 3 miles from my house and they are excellent. Some motorway is a necessary evil, not the done thing when I tour. From Dunquerque to Mandello I think 5% of the miles were on motorways; a  bit near Valenciennes, a bit between Strassbourg and Friegberg (Autobahn) and an accidental bit in Switzerland that we had no pass/carnet for and got on by mistake!! Luckily not fined!!!!
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2021, 06:47:48 AM »
Good opinions.  The Versos 650 is a great bike, and I'm pretty sure a Royal Enfield 650 would be near the top of my list of new street bikes if I was buying.

As always it's a personal thang.  What a smaller touring bike really depends on one's point of reference.  Kinda like what is skinny or fat.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:28 AM »
Just don't plan on riding on any freeways... :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :bow: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2021, 10:18:11 AM »
Freeways/motorways(UK)  are probably childs play compared to the Bahn. Lane discipline is the key. Tooling along at an indicated 100mph, Jeff on the Norge and me on the Breva 750, we passed a fair few cars and trucks doing a steady 80 to 90. The MOMENT you pass them and its safe to do so, you have to pull back into the "slow" lane because you can bet there's a Focus RS or a Porsche or Audi or Merc doing between 120 and 170 wanting to come past. And the amazing thing (compared to the UK) is THEY then move to the far right lane if there is nothing in front of them. It all works amazingly well.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2021, 11:41:31 AM »

free image hosting website

What more do you need?
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2021, 01:26:18 PM »
With an aging demographics of motorcycle riders, Is there a market for a smaller sized touring bike with a fairing? Does every touring bike have to be over 1000cc and 600 pounds? Remember back when Honda marketed the 650 cc twin engine Silver Wing? Some riders on here are considering much smaller bikes to tour on in place of a Norge or Big block Guzzi. Many of us are realizing we can get by with a much smaller bike for touring.

They’ve gone smaller with adventure bikes. Is there a market for smaller sized touring bikes with a fairing or is that market segment too small? Or have the adventure bikes taking on that role?
Closest thing would be the 2022 Moto Guzzi V7 with the 850 engine and a frame mounted fairing and matching hard bags. For some reason I can't find a picture of one on the internet.
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2021, 06:33:24 PM »
Just don't plan on riding on any freeways... :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :bow: :smiley:

Are you saying the Royal Enfield 650 doesn't have the horsepower to run on the freeway?  I seem to remember you buoying one recently.  Is this from personal experience?  What do you think the max comfortable touring speed would be?

In my imagination, freeway in AZ means WFO!  Am I close?
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2021, 09:25:16 PM »
Benelli 1131 Amazonas Trek, 810mm seat height, 21ltr tank, 350km, 125HP

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »

Ralph

LOL! You'll need a 52" chest and thick legs too. I come from a long line of sturdy mine and mill workers! Just ride it two up!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2021, 07:05:50 AM »
I would also like to see a real “TOURING” midsize motorcycle offered by all the major companies. When I say “touring” I’m saying  one that the buyer does not have to start replacing substandard equipment from the get go, to have a good tourer. When one has to do that, they have not purchased a true “touring” motorcycle.
Huzo is proving, as we speak, that any motorcycle can be equipped and used as a touring bike.

Some of the problem is too many variables. I prefer symmetrical hard bags with no exhaust cut out at the sacrifice of sticking out further. The next feller might like bags that are tucked in as far as possible and the third guy may prefer soft panniers. Grips, handlebars, handle bar rise and pull back, pegs, windscreen, seats and on and on are different combos for each person. The best a manufacturer can do is give a blank slate and let you build to suit from there.

As I've aged and "toured" more my wants in a bike have evolved too. Before it was looks and performance now it wind management, a comfy seat and good fuel range. I guess I changed from form over function to function over form.

I really do not what a "smaller" touring bike as dimensionally I have not gotten any smaller.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:10:05 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2021, 07:16:39 AM »
if you want full wind protection,i think it is difficult to get all you want in a touring bike below a certain size and weight.  the best one i had was a 2004 r1150rt.  the specs put it at 630 lbs ready to ride.  it had a 60 inch wheelbase which meant a passenger could ride in reasonable comfort and a real full coverage fairing. it was a little topheavy.  previously, i had an 1100rs that weighed 50 lbs less but the coverage was not in the same league as the rt.  the original r100rt may have come in a little under 600 lbs, but look what it didn't have.  no abs, skinny bike tires, far less stout construction.
i just don't think you can get what you want for under 600lbs. 
Blue Guzz

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2021, 07:35:14 AM »
Along with any of the modern V7 variants from Guzzi, I always thought the 2020 Triumph Bonneville Black would be a cool bike for a small, capable, reliable touring mount... :thumb: :bow: :boozing: :cool: :wink: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2021, 08:04:10 AM »
JJ, haven't done any touring on my 2016 Bonnie 1200 yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so.  The bike isn't a lightweight, but is fairly low while still having good seat to peg distance. 

At this time, the bike is equipped with a set of Givi pannier mounts (well-made .... sturdy) and a light weight set of Givi E21 Monokey bags.  I have a Cortech bag with built in bungees that easily attaches behind the rider on the passenger section of the saddle for additional capacity.  Since the majority of my 'camping' has been in mom and pop motels the past several years, no rear rack installed for tent, sleeping bag, etc.  But Givi makes a rack that'll work with these pannier mounts.

The T120 gets good mileage, close to 50mpg, which translates to somewhere between 170 - 190 miles per tank.  Roughly 80hp with a ton of torque down low in the rpm range.

I would hate to have to change the rear tire while on a trip.  Stock mufflers are unfortunately in the way of rear axle removal.  Single sided swing arms and lug nut mounted wheels have spoiled me.  Wire wheels on the Bonnie aren't tubeless.

Couple of pics.........

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2021, 08:29:13 AM »
after reading some of these replies and taking a ride yesterday on it, I think I'll stick with the MG spec 542# 2002 California Stone, yes a little heavier than that with lights and bags, etc.
Even though most of my touring these days is behind a one-ton truck pulling a 5th-wheel, I wouldn't hesitate to ride that bike cross country.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »
Bit late to this party, but will relate an encounter at Sturgis about 2001~ camped next to a young man on his way back from Alaska. He was riding a 250 Honda (the small cruiser) on his way home to the midwest (forget the state). Said he had had no problems other than a worn out rear tire and the small gas tank (about 150 miles IMS). Said he could maintain about 60 MPH on the freeway if forced to use them. He had a full camping set up and only had duffle bags for storage and a softbag of some kind on the luggage rack. I am sure that bike qualified as a "touring bike"111

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »
Bit late to this party, but will relate an encounter at Sturgis about 2001~ camped next to a young man on his way back from Alaska. He was riding a 250 Honda (the small cruiser) on his way home to the midwest (forget the state). Said he had had no problems other than a worn out rear tire and the small gas tank (about 150 miles IMS). Said he could maintain about 60 MPH on the freeway if forced to use them. He had a full camping set up and only had duffle bags for storage and a softbag of some kind on the luggage rack. I am sure that bike qualified as a "touring bike"111

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Being able to maintain 60 is about 30 MPH shy of what is currently needed on most highways/.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 10:39:38 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2021, 10:45:15 AM »
I'd be really happy if Guzzi expands the V85 range to include a more road going bike.  Don't need a full fairing like my old Norge, and I don't need two up capacity.  Time will tell.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2021, 11:09:35 AM »
If I can't hold up my EV, LM3, V700, I'll just run the sidecar rig full time. Cal2/SCF sidecar. Not going to SB at all NOR buying a new bike.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »
Hi All,                                                                        8-1-21

My first "tourer" was a 2007 HD Sportster 1200 (white) with windshield, side bags and tail rack.  It weighed a little over 550 pounds and I rode it around Lake Superior, through Maine, Mass and New Hampshire.  It also made it to Virginia, the Carolinas and points west. It was a great bike, reliable, more than enough power, stable and comfortable for 3-5 hours at a time, heated seat and grips and there were dealerships all over the place. It had a single disc on the front so it was limited in the twisties, but adequate. 

Be well, stay well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »
if you want full wind protection,i think it is difficult to get all you want in a touring bike below a certain size and weight.  the best one i had was a 2004 r1150rt.  the specs put it at 630 lbs ready to ride.  it had a 60 inch wheelbase which meant a passenger could ride in reasonable comfort and a real full coverage fairing. it was a little topheavy.  previously, i had an 1100rs that weighed 50 lbs less but the coverage was not in the same league as the rt.  the original r100rt may have come in a little under 600 lbs, but look what it didn't have.  no abs, skinny bike tires, far less stout construction.
i just don't think you can get what you want for under 600lbs.
1983 Honda GL650 Silverwing Interstate is 529 lbs wet.
2010 Honda NT700VA ABS is 571 lbs wet.

Both were equipped with shaft drive, integrated hard bags. and frame mounted fairing.

Both also were equipped with 5 speed transmissions. Would be nice to see a dct or at least a 6 speed transmission. Current choices from Honda offer either chain drive or else a 1200 that weighs 667 lbs wet.
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »

1983 Honda GL650 Silverwing Interstate is 529 lbs wet.
2010 Honda NT700VA ABS is 571 lbs wet.

Both were equipped with shaft drive, integrated hard bags. and frame mounted fairing.

Both also were equipped with 5 speed transmissions. Would be nice to see a dct or at least a 6 speed transmission. Current choices from Honda offer either chain drive or else a 1200 that weighs 667 lbs wet.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2021, 12:19:15 PM »
I'd be really happy if Guzzi expands the V85 range to include a more road going bike.  Don't need a full fairing like my old Norge, and I don't need two up capacity.  Time will tell.

I have been hoping for something like this myself as I have said previously. Something lighter than my 1400 but a little more substantial than my V7lll.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »
Freeways/motorways(UK)  are probably childs play compared to the Bahn. Lane discipline is the key. Tooling along at an indicated 100mph, Jeff on the Norge and me on the Breva 750, we passed a fair few cars and trucks doing a steady 80 to 90. The MOMENT you pass them and its safe to do so, you have to pull back into the "slow" lane because you can bet there's a Focus RS or a Porsche or Audi or Merc doing between 120 and 170 wanting to come past. And the amazing thing (compared to the UK) is THEY then move to the far right lane if there is nothing in front of them. It all works amazingly well.

In the USA its the goal of most drivers to get in the left lane and stay there no matter how many cars pass you on the right or if there are no cars in front of you. Tractor trailers drives like to get in the left lane and try to pass other TT's going 1/600th of a MPH faster. Sometimes it takes 9 or 10 miles but eventually they either pass or give up and fall back inline.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here