Author Topic: A smaller sized touring bike?  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: A smaller sized touring bike?
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2021, 12:36:22 PM »
You would be amazed at where weight savings can be made when designing a touring bike from scratch.  The problem is that the price would either make it unsellable, or the profit margins would be less. 

the wet weight of a Harley Road Glide Ultra is 937 lbs.

the wet weight of a Harley Sport Glide is just under 700 lbs. 

The goldwing tour is 837 lbs.

The BMW 1600 GTL is 771 lbs

The BMW R1250RT is 615 lbs.

So, I suppose I could move to the R1250RT, but the increased seat height might make it feel as heavy since I can't triangle out my legs like I can on the Harley.

You're speaking my statistical language here.

I would love to see a comparison of those bikes with regards to ergonomics for both rider AND passenger.

Though weight aside the FLH platform does make quite an effective tour bike. I just gave mine it's annual bath following a service (mostly fluid changes). And I took her for a spin to dry off with the windshield, bar bag, trunk, and side bags all drying in the corner of the garage. It feels much smaller stripped.

For years I chased some sort of idea smaller 3/4 or so RK size tour bike - I looked at everything from the FLD (Dyna Switchback) or the Dyna or Softail Fat Bob (for dual discs) but with added windshield and bags. The Sport Glide is REALLY close. But the chassis definitely feels different and has less room. Plus you give up so much (passing lamps, front and rear crash bars, floorboards, ground clearance and lean angle, oh yeah and DUAL DISC brembos plus the RDRS system). I don't think 100# is worth it.

I sorta found my Jackal was a 3/4 sized RK, and same with the similar size/weight/power 1200 Sportster Roadster. But I definitely gave up comfort in terms of both room and suspension.

But there have to be trade offs, there just have to be.

if the op's criterion was a bike with a true full coverage fairing (the only thing that gets wet in the rain at 60 mph is the crown of the helmet and the tips of the riding boots), then in my book, the RT is still the lowest weight bike you can get.  615 is not bad, but the seat is pretty tall and there is a lot of weight up high.

:thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2021, 07:38:30 PM »
if the op's criterion was a bike with a true full coverage fairing (the only thing that gets wet in the rain at 60 mph is the crown of the helmet and the tips of the riding boots), then in my book, the RT is still the lowest weight bike you can get.  615 is not bad, but the seat is pretty tall and there is a lot of weight up high.

Yes I was thinking of a full fairing, factory saddlebags similar to the Honda Silver Wing I mentioned. So if we’re thinking 2-up touring, 500cc + and around 500 lbs, is that possible? Maybe the Yamaha Tracer with saddle bags and a touring fairing might come the closest.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2021, 08:40:10 PM »
The FJ9 / Tracer is a nice rig.  If you want a light upright tourer, hard to beat. 

Beware of those behemoth FJR1300's.   :grin:  I understand the bikes are OK but don't be associated with the riders.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:42:08 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
 I’m starting to see the reasoning.
If I could choose between a new V85 or a new V120 today for the same money, I would certainly take the 850 over the 1200.
Watching loaded ADV bikes pass me now, I am more enamoured by the look than I thought I would ever be. I reckon I’ll show the V85 a bit more love when I get home....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2021, 11:58:38 PM »
The FJ9 / Tracer is a nice rig.  If you want a light upright tourer, hard to beat. 

Beware of those behemoth FJR1300's.   :grin:  I understand the bikes are OK but don't be associated with the riders.

Beware of FJ1300 riders? Why?????
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Womble

• New Egg
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2021, 01:41:35 AM »
No one appears to have mentioned the F800GT, dropped by BMW last year, but a superbly capable 'small' (at 800cc) tourer designed as such.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 01:44:21 AM by Womble »

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2021, 06:33:28 AM »
willow:  I think you may just have to have the weight if you are going to securely move around a bike with the kind of power made by the r1250rt.  it takes a pretty solid frame to be prepared to handle 350 or more pounds of rider and passenger and 50-80 lbs of gear and support a full coverage fairing and tail trunk.  while in its day, the small wing was a pretty cool bike, it didn't have abs and the module to go with it, didn't have 80-130 horsepower, didn't have wide (heavier near-sportbike wheels and tires, nor did its bags have the volume of today's bags and has been pointed out, we all weighed 15% less then.  my last rt was a 2004 1150rt and it scaled at 630 and made 90 hp as rated by the maker.  today's version makes 125 hp as rated and scales at 615.  i am sure that if they could, they would have chopped more weight from it.  I suppose an 80 hp version could in theory weigh less, but you know what comes next, people complaining about not enough power, and with 400 lbs aboard, they could have a point,
not trying to knock anyone, just contributing to a very interesting conversation.
Blue Guzz

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2021, 02:05:35 PM »
Beware of FJ1300 riders? Why?????

Meant as a joke with local riding buddy who has a 1300 and his wife has the 900.  He's on the board.   :wink:

I suppose if I have to explain a joke, it's not funny.   :evil:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2021, 02:07:30 PM »
F800GT is a good choice. I had three F800’s and never had trouble with any of them.

But now for something completely different:

60 hp, 120 mph top speed, ABS, electric windscreen, heated grips, heated front and rear seats, supremely comfortable. This is the 650cc model, which has been discontinued.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 02:10:57 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here