Author Topic: i really dislike navigation systems etc rant... anyone with me?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: i really dislike navigation systems etc rant... anyone with me?
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »
I like my Beeline; I've had good luck with my GPS/Phone/Nav and have replaced my tankbag riding notes and maps.  (I do keep them tucked away).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:31:53 PM by Ncdan »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2021, 08:31:35 PM »
I'm really kinda hoping to lure TWA out to Cedar Vale next May  :thumb:

The Sultan

March - June is my heaviest work travel time.  But, the next time I have to go west for work, I would like to ride southeast OK.  The last time it was a detour from beelining down 54 on my way home, so didn't get to explore much. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2021, 09:08:20 PM »
Imagining/planning/plotting a road trip using PC based mapping software to transfer to my GPS is road trip foreplay. Executing it is the.......

the solitary reaper analysis
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2021, 10:41:56 PM »

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2021, 07:35:00 PM »
I look at a map.  There are places in the American outback that cell phones, nav systems and credit cards don't work.   :boozing:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2021, 10:19:10 PM »
Woah, I'm suddenly even much more confused than usual...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2021, 12:35:12 AM »
I am still a notes guy. But..I do use my phone as a GPS speedometer to be certain of my speed.

Why am I still a notes guy you may ask when I'm riding along with my phone on GPS speed. Because I can not clearly see the Google map.

Maybe it's my phone in the light or my sunglasses, I just can not quickly read the screen while watching out for traffic.

I have never used one of the Tom Tom or Garmin type units. Maybe their screens would be easier to see in normal day light conditions. I can clearly see boating use depth finders and mapping displays with the same sunglasses on a boat. With my phone, I have a hard enough time looking at the screen in broad daylight with my other hand shading the screen.

OTOH: I do not mind using Google maps and keeping it open on my phone so it knows where I am. When I need to either refresh my memory or write a note while at a gas stop or the like, I look at it rather than a paper map.

Just my dos centavos,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2021, 03:17:35 AM »
A confirmed Luddite here, but I tried to like it, 2 Garmins that both died in action, then a number of apps on iphone.
Apart from the reliability thing, two things stand out
1/ you cannot see bigger picture ie detailed map of 50 mile range, as you zoom out you lose the back roads I ride on
2/ As others, glare in the sun, makes it really hard to read
Best setting I ever found was list of turns, the next one being at top with distance to, disappearing after you’ve made turn.
After that ,Scenic app, the easiest to make your own routes with, or make in another program and send to scenic for turn by turn

But rarely do I use now, Outside of cities, I don’t need it in Aus, if I ever get back to Europe, I’ll probably mount phone again for routes avoiding towns etc, especially over the mountains, little goat tracks are hard to find without

What I do carry and totally rely on is ipad mini in tank bag, have to stop to read like paper map. I use memory map, have the world offline, works everywhere except in tunnels.
Screen does not lose detail  as you zoom out (Configurable)
Sometimes I have my route on display, sometimes just a straight line to where I think I might get that day.
So I use it as a moving paper map, replaces drawers and draws of real paper maps, no contest.
Of course the big advantage over paper is that it shows where you actually are on the map.
For travellers with time I recommend, especially for those that the journey is the point, the destination almost irrelevant, often I never go where I first thought of, somewhere else magical appears.
For couriers , delivery drivers , holidaymakers in hurry to get somewhere, turn by turn is probably a no brainer, I never tried bluetooth speaker but for distraction/ sun glare etc it makes sense
The last point and have to say, the game changer, the ipad is also my library, always have a few books downloaded and when I get to wifi or connect to my phone I can use the net ; possibly like other old gits, even though my phone is theoretically a keyboard, my fingers and thumbs can’t accurately hit keys, ipad makes it doable.
So Luddite now invariably carries ipad, on aeroplanes, only the ipad, can read books, study maps on a thing that weighs nothing and use no space.

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2021, 07:13:58 AM »
The couple of times that I tried navigating with a Tom Tom device, it led me on a "Wild Goose Chase" (Guzzi content, LOL!), and ended somewhere completely away from my planned destination.

Since then, mapping the route on a phone or tablet has been much more accurate and helpful. But I still prefer to trust a good, up to date paper map and my wife doing the navigating part.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »
As Dirty Harry famously said “A man got to know his limitations”, My navigation skills are really poor. Also, the older I get the more I find that I really need to focus on the road and not trying to figure out where my next turn is.
I Very seldom lead in a group ride unless I’m very familiar with the area and the route I’m taking.
Lisa always preformed all the navigation when she was my riding partner but no longer rides. Therefore I do use the GPS on my phone, attached to my bars. I use ear phones so I can listen to my riding music and make the turns that Seri tells me to make and I always seem to get to my destination. 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
Just a little more info on the Beeline.  It's a Nav system that works off the smart phone.  Program a route and the Beeline gives arrow pointers and mileage countdowns to critical turns.  Not maps that are hard to see.  It works like route notes with no chance of missing a turn due a missing highway sign (pretty common in my state). 

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-gear-and-products/beeline-navigation-review/

Just make sure you're phone is charged.  I carry a battery pack in my tankbag that works great for my phone, camera and bluetooth speaker.  And the arrow can be confusing on three way intersection on unmarked back roads, so you might make a turn around, but the arrow will tell you right away that you've made a wrong turn.

On my last trip to Arkansas, the route leader was using a map and went by a critical highway intersection.  Three riders went past me when I made the correct turn.  I waited for a while but they kept going.  We finally met at dinner but the were an hour and half late.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 09:36:37 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2021, 10:07:57 AM »
Just a little more info on the Beeline.  It's a Nav system that works off the smart phone.  Program a route and the Beeline gives arrow pointers and mileage countdowns to critical turns.  Not maps that are hard to see.  It works like route notes with no chance of missing a turn due a missing highway sign (pretty common in my state). 

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-gear-and-products/beeline-navigation-review/

Just make sure you're phone is charged.  I carry a battery pack in my tankbag that works great for my phone, camera and bluetooth speaker.  And the arrow can be confusing on three way intersection on unmarked back roads, so you might make a turn around, but the arrow will tell you right away that you've made a wrong turn.

On my last trip to Arkansas, the route leader was using a map and went by a critical highway intersection.  Three riders went past me when I made the correct turn.  I waited for a while but they kept going.  We finally met at dinner but the were an hour and half late.

Woah I completely missed that.

That looks great

I think I'm gonna pick one of those up.

Thanks for posting that.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »
Don't ever attempt using any fancy device to find Woolraoc , trust me on this , we were so far off in the boonies the locals sitting on their porches were pointing and laughing as we went by  :laugh:

TS

My Beeline plotted the route from CV to Woolaroc but it went through the numbered highway (123) rather than the backroads from Pawhuska.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2021, 10:17:19 AM »
Woah I completely missed that.

That looks great

I think I'm gonna pick one of those up.

Thanks for posting that.

I purchased it from one of the members here that got it from "go fund me" startup.  He never used it and sold it for cost.  The only glitch I've had is when the phone goes into battery save mode.  I had my phone adjusted for 70% power.  Just to be sure now, I carry one of those $30 battery packs with USB connect.  Very handy on the road. 

I think Triumph and RE use a version of it on some of their bike now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 10:18:23 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2021, 10:34:31 AM »
Don't ever attempt using any fancy device to find Woolraoc , trust me on this , we were so far off in the boonies the locals sitting on their porches were pointing and laughing as we went by  :laugh:

TS

1 missed route out of 13 years of usage…it was a fun diversion. Who knew the back door had been closed?  We wasted more time on V7 fuel and spark plug diagnosis issues if I recall correctly until my TomTom suggested the V7 be parked downhill…started right up
If I recall correctly! 

:boozing: :boozing:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2021, 10:38:51 AM »
I purchased it from one of the members here that got it from "go fund me" startup.  He never used it and sold it for cost.  The only glitch I've had is when the phone goes into battery save mode.  I had my phone adjusted for 70% power.  Just to be sure now, I carry one of those $30 battery packs with USB connect.  Very handy on the road. 

I think Triumph and RE use a version of it on some of their bike now.
So this device works in conjunction with an app you put on your phone?
You may have to explain this to me in the upmost simply terms, LR and thanks for sharing this with us👍
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 12:44:54 PM by Ncdan »

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2021, 01:08:31 PM »
From the reviews for the Beeline app in the Google Play Store it seems that one can use the app independently of the device and see how it works before making a financial commitment. This might be a good idea, considering a number of negative reviews of the system. However LowRiter's testimony means a lot too. It certainly seems like a promising device.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2021, 01:43:14 PM »
Update: I just downloaded the app to my phone and confirmed that it works independently of the hardware. I plotted a route to Lansing, Minnesota [sic] Iowa!!, and then took a walk down the street and confirmed it was leading me on the way with the same arrow system seen on the device. But I don't see how to add waypoints or load info from other applications. I suppose this can be figured out. Anyway, you don't need to buy the device to test the software!

M.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 10:57:44 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
So this device works in conjunction with an app you put on your phone?
You may have to explain this to me in the upmost simply terms, LR and thanks for sharing this with us👍

Dan, Beeline has a Nav App that installs on my Smartphone. 

Supposedly, I can download or text a map to the phone as well.  Unfortunately, there is a special "map" digital format (GPX?) that I can't quite find to do that.  And I find all the digital map programs and Apps to difficult to tailor, certainly not as easy as using a magic marker on paper maps; OTOH, maps usually only show the marked highway and not the back roads.   

What I find the best way to make a custom map, is to build it from the start by waypoint to waypoint.  Typically the sections of road right after the turn you want to make or right after merging to the road you want to be on.  It gets frustrating altering a preexisting route with the final destination already entered.  I found this is true with Google Maps as well as Beeline and all the other demo Apps I've played around with.

When I was in Arkansas and riding back highways, it worked great.  There are many curvy roads there but not many alternatives when going to a specific place.  But again, sometimes I had to plot point by point until I entered my final destination.   It did work great when I was running out of fuel and needed to get to the closest town with gas.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
From the reviews for the Beeline app in the Google Play Store it seems that one can use the app independently of the device and see how it works before making a financial commitment. This might be a good idea, considering a number of negative reviews of the system. However LowRiter's testimony means a lot too. It certainly seems like a promising device.

Moto

I'm not aware many negatives.  I'd like to know. 
John L 

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2021, 02:23:16 PM »
Dan, Beeline has a Nav App that installs on my Smartphone. 

Supposedly, I can download or text a map to the phone as well.  Unfortunately, there is a special "map" digital format (GPX?) that I can't quite find to do that.  And I find all the digital map programs and Apps to difficult to tailor, certainly not as easy as using a magic marker on paper maps; OTOH, maps usually only show the marked highway and not the back roads.   

What I find the best way to make a custom map, is to build it from the start by waypoint to waypoint.  Typically the sections of road right after the turn you want to make or right after merging to the road you want to be on.  It gets frustrating altering a preexisting route with the final destination already entered.  I found this is true with Google Maps as well as Beeline and all the other demo Apps I've played around with.

When I was in Arkansas and riding back highways, it worked great.  There are many curvy roads there but not many alternatives when going to a specific place.  But again, sometimes I had to plot point by point until I entered my final destination.   It did work great when I was running out of fuel and needed to get to the closest town with gas.
Got it👍

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Update: I just downloaded the app to my phone and confirmed that it works independently of the hardware. I plotted a route to Lansing, Minnesota [sic] and then took a walk down the street and confirmed it was leading me on the way with the same arrow system seen on the device. But I don't see how to add waypoints or load info from other applications. I suppose this can be figured out. Anyway, you don't need to buy the device to test the software!

M.

The way I did it was to enlarge the area on the map that I wanted to place a waypoint and point to it with my finger, then add another and another.  I think you can add perhaps 10 intermediate destinations. 

But, I find all of these map programs to be about the same: not too friendly to custom tailor a route.
John L 

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »
I have the Garmin Zumo that Itchy Boots suggested. Have fiddled with it but in the end I just like paper maps.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2021, 06:21:01 PM »
Moto, did my comments help?
John L 

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2021, 06:42:58 PM »
Moto, did my comments help?

Yes! Sorry not to have said so right away.

At least on my Android phone the technique is to tap on the blue line indicating the original route. Doing that creates a pin symbol that you can then drag off the route to establish a new waypoint. Works pretty well. I wonder if the underlying data is from Google.

I'm under doctor's orders not to do any riding right now, but in a couple of weeks or so I'll strap my phone to the handlebars and try the system for free. Maybe that will cause me to shell out $250 for the device.

You might like to read the comments on the Android store or elsewhere for yourself. It seems like many of them had to do with the accuracy of the data rather than a fundamental problem with the system.

Reading the documentation on the company site I was interested to see there are two modes of using the system during a trip. One requires a data or Wi-Fi connection, but the other does not and operates independently via GPS alone, including when it leads you back to an appropriate route if you miss a waypoint. At least as I understand it.

I'm eager to try it.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2021, 07:51:56 PM »
Yes! Sorry not to have said so right away.

At least on my Android phone the technique is to tap on the blue line indicating the original route. Doing that creates a pin symbol that you can then drag off the route to establish a new waypoint. Works pretty well. I wonder if the underlying data is from Google.

I'm under doctor's orders not to do any riding right now, but in a couple of weeks or so I'll strap my phone to the handlebars and try the system for free. Maybe that will cause me to shell out $250 for the device.

You might like to read the comments on the Android store or elsewhere for yourself. It seems like many of them had to do with the accuracy of the data rather than a fundamental problem with the system.

Reading the documentation on the company site I was interested to see there are two modes of using the system during a trip. One requires a data or Wi-Fi connection, but the other does not and operates independently via GPS alone, including when it leads you back to an appropriate route if you miss a waypoint. At least as I understand it.

I'm eager to try it.

Moto

My point is, don't do an "original route".  Do it one intersection or highway at a time until you get to the final destination.  It's dang near impossible to modify an original route.  I find it's true for Google Maps or any other App.  Now if you're satisfied with the original route, or on the road and just need to get where you're going, OK.
John L 

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
Yes, your method does work. But for some reason it takes a lot of tapping to establish the next waypoint when I try it. Maybe I can get the hang of it with practice.
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2021, 09:04:57 PM »
Yes, your method does work. But for some reason it takes a lot of tapping to establish the next waypoint when I try it. Maybe I can get the hang of it with practice.

Making a custom Route?  Probably not.  I find it a PIA. 

As I've said, none of these Nav Apps seem to make it very easy.  Beeline is no better or worse than Google Maps and all the others I've tried.  Not sure why we can't just make as it as simple as tracing a yellow marker on a map.

OTOH, if you just want to follow the easiest route, and don't get lost, just follow the recommended route.
John L 

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2021, 09:38:25 PM »
Making a custom Route?  Probably not.  I find it a PIA. 

As I've said, none of these Nav Apps seem to make it very easy.  Beeline is no better or worse than Google Maps and all the others I've tried.  Not sure why we can't just make as it as simple as tracing a yellow marker on a map.

OTOH, if you just want to follow the easiest route, and don't get lost, just follow the recommended route.

I'm having some trouble understanding your meaning. For what it's worth I just mapped out a route over to Lansing, Iowa from Madison that is very much like a really enjoyable one I took three or four weeks ago. It didn't take long to lay it out. Since some of the roads are not really marked highways, I expect it will be really handy to have the arrow showing me which way to turn at the smaller intersections. A lot of the convenience factor probably depends upon the kind of terrain you plan to go through. This is a route through the Driftless Region of Wisconsin with lots of squigglies. (Not to be confused with twisties.)

Moto
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:44:33 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here