Author Topic: Things that don’t happen on a Guzzi  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Things that don’t happen on a Guzzi
« on: August 04, 2021, 11:01:35 PM »
I finally set out to fix my Commando tail light which was just not working.  Turns out the bottom tail light bracket sheared itself in half from vibration, and this is the ground path to the rear fender.  This after spending half an hour cleaning oil spray from an as yet undetermined source off of the cylinders and cases. It’s like being in a relationship with a smoking hot but completely crazy girlfriend (or boyfriend if you prefer).  I can’t imagine a Guzzi being this high maintenance.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Things that don’t happen on a Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 05:55:53 AM »
I finally set out to fix my Commando tail light which was just not working.  Turns out the bottom tail light bracket sheared itself in half from vibration, and this is the ground path to the rear fender.  This after spending half an hour cleaning oil spray from an as yet undetermined source off of the cylinders and cases. It’s like being in a relationship with a smoking hot but completely crazy girlfriend (or boyfriend if you prefer).  I can’t imagine a Guzzi being this high maintenance.
Ain’t love just a wonderful splendid thing🤔😂

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 06:09:40 AM »
Our motorcycle world needs folks like you.  These are special machines worthy of your time and love.  I don't have the time or patience to do such work and I believe probably most riders are like me in that regard.  I am thrilled when ever I see one in the wild on those increasingly rare occasions.
This does not necessarily apply to riders in WG, but the vast majority just want to put the gas in the tank, hit the electric start and twist the throttle.  Well done and thank you.
Blue Guzz

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 06:13:33 AM »

Spewed coffee on that.  :thumb:

Kathi asked me what I had found so funny in the "news."    :laugh:

Well done.   :bow:

Bill

Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 06:13:33 AM »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »
I had a Commando for three years, one and a half in the UK, then shipped it here. I do not miss the maintenance regimen. YMMV.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 07:37:46 AM »
We’ll see if the G5-T3 knocks it into someone else’s garage. I would probably regret it. It’s my favorite bike for hauling to Vermont and riding the gaps:

a

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »
About five years ago the bracket on the rear fender of my 1000S broke taking the license plate and the holder with it and of course I never found it again. Fortunately I had another license plate holder and bracket but not the little plastic piece below the license plate.  It is likely I will never find it as it was not on any other Guzzi.

And I had a maddening leak from the output shaft seal on the 76 LeMans and was getting ready to pull the transmission when a Mr.Roper suggested changing the original shocks as they were probably sagging too much and causing the leak. Problem solved.

The one thing I can say about Norton’s is that you can source almost any Commando part through Andover Norton but I can’t say the same for Guzzi’s.

Old bikes……
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 08:13:51 AM »
About five years ago the bracket on the rear fender of my 1000S broke taking the license plate and the holder with it and of course I never found it again. Fortunately I had another license plate holder and bracket but not the little plastic piece below the license plate.  It is likely I will never find it as it was not on any other Guzzi.

Old bikes……

Yup.  Fender hinge brackets break and things fall off at speed. But not finding it might hurt less than watching a tractor trailer run over it as you're running back to pick it up.... btdt-

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 08:34:39 AM »

Yup.  Fender hinge brackets break and things fall off at speed. But not finding it might hurt less than watching a tractor trailer run over it as you're running back to pick it up.... btdt-

I know how you feel though mine was only partially crushed by a taxi-cab when the rear fender broke off of my CX with the license plate.  I recovered that one and replaced it with a new fender.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 08:45:51 AM »
Well Norton's do have character......   DonG

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 08:51:16 AM »
Turns out the bottom tail light bracket sheared itself in half from vibration

Pssssssstttttttt

Certain Cali's, the ones with the Jackal-style dual len's tail-light - did this with some frequency (that and turn signals broke off too).

Perhaps the thread should be THINGS THAT ALSO HAPPEN ON GUZZIS.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 09:51:24 AM »
Well Norton's do have character......   DonG

Yes, and they can be a pain in the ass from new.  My friend Kenny is the owner of NYC Norton and he makes some beautiful bikes, yeah, you will drop a lot of money but his restorations are top notch. He also races his Norton's.

https://nycnorton.com
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 08:49:40 PM »
Yes, and they can be a pain in the ass from new.  My friend Kenny is the owner of NYC Norton and he makes some beautiful bikes, yeah, you will drop a lot of money but his restorations are top notch. He also races his Norton's.

https://nycnorton.com

Now THATS a Commando.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 08:57:29 PM »

So it's just like owning a Guzzi but with different broken parts other than tail lights? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 08:58:40 PM »
Now THATS a Commando.

TMI, put your shorts on!
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 09:00:01 PM »
So it's just like owning a Guzzi but with different broken parts other than tail lights?

But with many fewer wrenches and special tools. The Norton gets its own tool drawer.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 09:02:34 PM »
But with many fewer wrenches and special tools. The Norton gets its own tool drawer.

winner
John L 

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 06:05:24 AM »
I had a Commando for three years, one and a half in the UK, then shipped it here. I do not miss the maintenance regimen. YMMV.
Larry
I had a crazy hot redheaded Italian/Irish girlfriend for 5 years.........and I don't miss the maintenance regimen either........
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline corsajim

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 10:52:29 AM »
I had a crazy hot redheaded Italian/Irish girlfriend for 5 years.........and I don't miss the maintenance regimen either........
Scott
I can agree there, at least with the bike you could apply some logic.
1100 Sport Carb
Laverda RGS Corsa

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 02:50:03 PM »
Loop frames will snap the bottom lite bracket, I have one like that on one of my 700's.  Even CalVin's had a bad tail lite bracket.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here