Author Topic: Sell or Part Out?  (Read 697 times)

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
Sell or Part Out?
« on: August 06, 2021, 09:26:30 AM »
I own a 2014 California 1400 Custom. It is the silver (grey?) color and is fitted out as a Touring model. That is, it has the touring windshield, MG hard bags, MG 50L top box, MG fog lights, "roll" bars, heated grips, etc. It gets to be a long list if I include every thing added to make a fully optioned touring model, which it now is.

My question is.....

Do I attempt to sell it as it is?

or

Do I strip it back to the "Custom" configuration and sell the many accessories on their own?

Thanks for your comments.

dave
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Sell or Part Out?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:31:03 AM »
IMHO...Sell it complete and.... "AS IS..."  :wink: :thumb:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:38:02 AM »
When I marketed my Gold Wing "loaded" no one was interested.  I removed the "farkles" and dropped the price and got a buyer.  Once he was on site, He then was offered the $1300 seat and after reinstalling it and going for a ride.... Had to have it!    He also bought his and hers Gerbing jackets that were wired for the bike.
The rest was sold on ebay.  I netted just under what my original asking price was.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
Depends how much time you are willing to spend dealing with buyers and what you think is difference in total sale price(s). One transaction for a bit less... or 8-10 transactions for a bit more?

I see some ads with a base price, then the seller lists all the accessories that could be had individually or as a package deal.

You could take some good pics now, then remove the accessories and take more pics. Let the buyer "customize" it with what they want and sell the balance as parts.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »
why do you want to sell it?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 10:19:59 AM »
My formula is farkles - If on the bike buyers value them at  about 20 to 30% of retail. Farkles sold off the bike bring 40 to 60% of retail.

I also have found bikes in stock trim or less sell faster than well farkled bikes. I think people believe that if you add tons of farkles you really beat the bike. If its in stock or less trim it must be a garage queen.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 10:40:37 AM »
Accessories such as quality exhaust, racks and bags, and windscreens are valuable to me, and I'm OK paying a premium for bikes with those.

Upgraded mirrors, levers, handlebars, turn signals, etc. make me wonder if the bike has been down - but it's good if the undamaged originals are included.

Power Commanders and air-pods have negative value. (IMO)
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »
Agree with others, you will get more $ if you sell separate, but then you have to deal with people... ugh.

I would suggest you list it with the extras as a 'firm' price. You will inevitably get an offer of less. I've had success at that point saying, "Yeah, I'll go down to that price if you don't want the corbin seat or quick-release windscreen."

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
When I marketed my Gold Wing "loaded" no one was interested.  I removed the "farkles" and dropped the price and got a buyer.  Once he was on site, He then was offered the $1300 seat and after reinstalling it and going for a ride.... Had to have it!    He also bought his and hers Gerbing jackets that were wired for the bike.
The rest was sold on ebay.  I netted just under what my original asking price was.

My experience mirrors Johns.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »
Agree with others, you will get more $ if you sell separate, but then you have to deal with people... ugh.

I would suggest you list it with the extras as a 'firm' price. You will inevitably get an offer of less. I've had success at that point saying, "Yeah, I'll go down to that price if you don't want the corbin seat or quick-release windscreen."

I've found to never put the word "Firm" or "negotiable" and even  "OBO" as it really is a meaning less string of words. What does best offer mean. Best off today? Is the price negatable? Best offer out of the 1st three offers. Its sort of to open of a term. When I see negotiable or OBO it means the seller will take less and the asking price is not the starting point any longer. 

People like to feel they got  deal. If you put firm that means they cannot use their negating prowess to get you to drop the price $50 or $100. Funny thing is people are satisficed with that. So I price my bikes within a hundred or so of what I will actually take let them beat $50 out of me and they think they are the negotiator of the century.

I list a price and and that's it. I've also started putting in some ads I will not entertain offers made over the internet and will only entertain offers made in person. Its a bit standoffish but it helps separate out the tire kickers offering 50% less than your asking price or want to trade a Xbox and guitar.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:36:21 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 01:17:34 PM »
I list a price and and that's it. I've also started putting in some ads I will not entertain offers made over the internet and will only entertain offers made in person. Its a bit standoffish but it helps separate out the tire kickers offering 50% less than your asking price or want to trade a Xbox and guitar.

Wait, wait, wait... what type of xbox is it?!?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
Try and sell as a package.  Figure it out from there.  Deal on the accessories.  If need to take them off and sell later.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here