Author Topic: What’s your number?  (Read 889 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
What’s your number?
« on: August 18, 2021, 09:56:11 PM »
When restoring a bike I’m pretty picky about getting everything right and shiny, probably about a 9 on a 10 scale, while some here are solid 10’s.

After the bike is on the road though my standards drop considerably.  I’ll let a broken tach cable go for weeks or months, or an oil drip may wait all summer.  I wash the bikes maybe every two months. I’d say my pickiness number for daily riders is about a 6.

I’m always surprised that I can pay attention to such detail during builds and then let it all go out of my head for routine maintenance.  It’s as if I never learned anything.

I’m interested in everyone’s approach to maintenance (not what you should do, but what you do do).
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline mondtster

• Hatchling
Re: What’s your number?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 10:20:47 PM »
When it comes to mechanicals, I am a perfectionist. Broken stuff or poor performance really bugs me. I like using my machines however, so a little dirt and grime from riding things is acceptable. The only time a bike I own will be spotless is probably the day of purchase and the day of sale.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 09:32:34 AM »
I've owned many bikes. (none purchased new)  If they are not in very good condition, I fix 'em up to about an 8-9 and keep them there. Mechanically and electrically, I keep my bike pretty near perfect, but a small ding on the fender, discoloration on exhaust pipes or a sewn seat repair I can live with.  I do like to keep my bike very clean and the shiny parts shiny. I'm not too hung up on originality. For example, my SP project doesn't have several of it's original parts. It will be wearing Made-in-China copies of Japanese turn signals which look somewhat like the round 850 T3 blinkers.

When it comes to bikes, I'm a serial monogamist, so that makes it easier to be persnickety about maintenance.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »
I've only "restored" one and that was in 1998 but I think I've managed to take pretty good care of her and ride too. She's undergone a few modifications, like Dusty Hill from ZZ Topp says, "a hot rod is never done"

I'll give myself a 7 or 8  :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:11:05 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 12:43:38 PM »
Bikes are built to be ridden, not trailer queens. Daily use will take them out of concourse condition, but that's ok. Miles make smiles!

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 01:11:06 PM »
I don't ride with things broken or in need of replacement (oil, tires, etc), but I only take the bugs off after a ride as well as lube the chain and top off the fuel tank.

Deep cleaning only happens when taking the bike parts off for other reasons like service, repair, storage, etc.

I like to cover my bikes away from home so getting grit off is important to keeping the finish good.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »
What’s my number? I thought this was a question about retirement savings.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 05:28:16 PM »
867-5309

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
I build bikes from piles of unrelated parts. The mechanical and structural is in order..I prefer an old finish showing signs of use and adventure

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 06:58:50 PM »
It's all a matter of opinion, and what you consider 10.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 08:07:08 PM »
I don't have a number. 

I want my machines to run great and be completely reliable or easily fixed.  I know people with perfect bikes.  Glad they're happy.  That's good enough for me.   

Some of those experts even help me make my bike run perfectly because they know me welL.  There's no better friend than a friend that loves your motorcycle, even when it's not perfect and never will be.  I've spent a career doing perfect stone work for others.  I just want to relax and be bike happy in my own world.

The important Guzzi factory special & race bikes didn't have fancy paint or cosmetics.  Just shoot some primer and get to work. Paint doesn't win races.  Paint doesn't set new world records-

'Nuff said...
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 08:54:41 PM »
I don't restore things.  I fix them to work well, and ride them to death.
I prefer a well-worn original to a restored bike anyway.

Here is my 1960 Heinkel, in 1989.  It had about 60K miles on it then.  I still have it, and it's over 80K miles now, which is pretty good for a scooter.

Here is the dash on my 1962 Maico Maicoletta.  It only has about 20K miles on it, but it's all original.  I still have it, too.

And here is my 1993 Ducati M900 Monster in 2016, on the weekend kit turned over 250K miles.  Looked like hell, but still ran great.
Don't have it anymore; it got killed by a hit-and-run driver in 2017, at 265K miles.  Otherwise I'd still be riding it, and be over 300K by now.

So, "my number" is probably between 2 and 3.  ;)

PhilB
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:56:07 PM by PhilB »

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
What’s my number? I thought this was a question about retirement savings.
And I was thinking Sleep Number..
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 06:27:21 AM »
The Monster was a 10 when I got it and it will stay a 10. The Cal between 9 and 10. Have owned a few road dogs that I just left dirty and rode the crap out of them. Now I don't ride all that much so they're easier to keep nice.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here