Author Topic: NGC: SF Bay area Bomb Cyclone  (Read 821 times)

Offline centauro

• Gosling
NGC: SF Bay area Bomb Cyclone
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:27:59 AM »
Is anyone from the Bay area OK? News showed some horrific images after the storm hit; flooding, landslide, downed trees.
I thought we only got these type of storms in Florida.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: NGC: SF Bay area Bomb Cyclone
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 06:30:44 AM »
my son is out there on extended vacation... he was posting pics the last few days of beautiful sunsets, coyotes playing in the park, and he & his friends oogling the boys of the SF fire department outside washing the trucks... no signs of bad weather.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 09:10:45 AM »
my son is out there on extended vacation... he was posting pics the last few days of beautiful sunsets, coyotes playing in the park, and he & his friends oogling the boys of the SF fire department outside washing the trucks... no signs of bad weather.

My two Guzzi buddies in Mt. View and Los Gatos told me the exact same thing!! :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline guzzied

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
I was visiting the Bay Area (Oakland Hills) on Sunday, boy, never seen so much rain in that short of time and I lived there 59 years of my life. Glad I was on 4 wheels, cause the winds were brutal...
Mike Stewart

Sold  2000 Green V11 Sport
        2000 Jackal V1100 Cafe Project
        2002 Ghezzi Brian
        2002 California Special Sport 
        2003 Rosso Corsa

Ride 2002 EV Sport Custom
       2003 EV Touring Custom
       2014 Norge 8V

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
REALLY?  I have lived in San Francisco since 1982, in 30 hours this past weekend we had the second-highest rainfall total in 130 years, Sacramento had the highest.  Some flooding in low-lying areas, but the winds were the story.  Over 700 trees down in the city alone, including several hundred-year-old majestic cypress trees near my home.  We had leaks in our house, minor, driven by 70 mph winds, not much compared to FL.  The next day Monday, dry sunny like it never happened.  We went for a hike on Mt. Tam in Marin country, with amazing waterfalls everywhere.  We need the water, but not all at once.  We are still well behind the curve with regards to water in our reservoirs, but at least our fire season is over. Sadly no rain in the extended forecast.  Most folks out this way had power outages, some damage from falling trees and minor flooding limited to areas where you would expect it.  Nothing like Florida or the Gulf Coast, but a real record-breaking storm.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 09:29:58 AM »
Dang it's been so dry for so long, I hope something soaked in and topped off water supplies and it didnt just wash out a bunch of topsoil
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 04:09:39 PM »
I live in the southeast corner of the Bay.  I was in Sacramento (100miles) on Saturday for a wedding.  Drove home in the rain on Sunday.  Slow and steady.  No cruise control.  Just missed two spinouts.  One in the median and one into a roadside field.  My house is in a hilly area so no flooding.  All sorts of items blowing around the neighborhood.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 12:24:14 AM »
We had the Jeep out Sunday.  No signficant slides here between the west side of the Bay and the coast last weekend, but there was a lot of debris on the roads.  And a few hilsides that had begin to shed small boulders.  And a few gusts of blow-your truck-off-the road wind.  Not a terrific time for a ride or driving at night.

It we get more of these storms we'll almost certainly lose bits of some of my favorite riding roads around the CZU Lightning Complex Fire burn scar.  But it would be a small price to pay to get some snow pack to help out the farmers in the Central Valley next year.  Here's what our reservoirs -- or what used to be reservoirs -- look like.  Note the once-there-used-to-be-water-here line at the top of the slopes.  I have no idea who cut those trails where you'd have needed scuba gear back in the 90s.  And yes, those are trees beginning to grow down there.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here