Author Topic: Stelvio speedometer sensor  (Read 9481 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Stelvio speedometer sensor
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:48:35 PM »
The Guzzitech Stelvio forum is down for maintenance, so I'll ask here ....

Parked the Stelvio Monday after riding home in the rain.

Today, the speedometer was not working (reading 0 all the time), and the "SERVICE" indicator lights were on.

On the way home tonight, in the wind and sunshine, it started working again and the "SERVICE" lights went off, all back to normal.

The Stelvio guys said it was likely a wet speedo sensor that wasn't properly sealed.   There was a photo journal of someone "unpotting" the epoxy-sealed printed circuit and resealing it .... but also some advice about how to dry out the sensor and coat it with something (without disassembling it).   

I had to take the rear wheel off anyhow to fix a slow leak in the tire tonight.... is the speedo sensor that little bitty box on the inside of the CARC with two 3mm hex screws holding it on?   Once it's good and dry and working, what sort of luck have people had with "sealing" it or "coating" it with something that will keep the water out without screwing up the innards or the wire?

I'm sure the same issue holds with any CARC bike, like a Griso?

Thanks for any advice ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stelvio speedometer sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
I have had great success with silicone sealant, the sort of stuff you use around the bathroom and kitchen sink. If you get a good coating of that on it never leaks.
Roy
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:56:53 AM »
I'm sure the same issue holds with any CARC bike, like a Griso?

Not all the CARC bikes have the speedo sensor in the swingarm like the Stelvio and Griso do.  Breva models have it up front mounted to the fork and I haven't seen much talk about them having the same issues with water intrusion.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:03:12 AM »
I just put some silicone sealant on where the cable goes in the housing, since then all fine. I see no need to disassemble the thing. and yes its the thing with 2 x 3mm screws
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:03:12 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:30:34 AM »
Yes, the tiny black box with two screws.

Before you seal it, dry it with a hot lamp or hot air for a day. If it isn't completely dry, you will have troubles again.

Seal it mainly around where the wire enters.

Get a new warranty replacement. The new ones appear to be made sligthly different and they may have fixed the problem. But seal the new one before installing anyway.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

BravoBravo

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »
Lannis, I had the same problem with my Stelvio and my dealer used dielectric grease to seal the sensor, which seemed to do the trick.

Bruce

Carl Allison

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »
Yes, the tiny black box with two screws.

Before you seal it, dry it with a hot lamp or hot air for a day. If it isn't completely dry, you will have troubles again.

Seal it mainly around where the wire enters.

Get a new warranty replacement. The new ones appear to be made sligthly different and they may have fixed the problem. But seal the new one before installing anyway.

I take it you can't put it in the dryer on "fluff" or "tumble dry". ;D

Offline mphcycles

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
lannis the part that needs sealing is the connector, not the sensor. Use a bit of dielectric on the plug , follow the lead from the sensor up the  rt side.
Mike Haven
MPH Cycles
16510 Park Row
Houston, Texas 77084
832 557 7214
www.mphcycles.com
 (Please just email me ,  I dont PM)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:23:47 PM »
lannis the part that needs sealing is the connector, not the sensor. Use a bit of dielectric on the plug , follow the lead from the sensor up the  rt side.

Sorry, not on mine. It was the sensor for 100% certain.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline John in PA

• Gaggle Hero
  • ML & me
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
Lannis, I repotted mine with GOOP brand adhesive from the hardware store. Pry out the original rubbery sealer.   Dry it thoroughly, get a good magnifier and light, and a toothpick to work the goop into all the crevices of the sensor, and around the cable entrance.  Let it dry.  since it's a solvent based adhesive, it will shrink a bit.  Simply put a second coat on the fill it up again.  Allow to dry thoroughly and you should be good for life. 

I also got the warranty replacement, GOOPed the cable entrance and joints, and set it aside for a spare incase my repair craps out.  So far, so good.

The GOOP is easier to get hold of than the epoxy that's detailed on Guzzitech, and it's the stickiest stuff I've seen.  You could easily glue an object to plate glass with it.  NO electrical conductivity.
John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Buncha Guzzi's

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »
Lannis, I repotted mine with GOOP brand adhesive from the hardware store. Pry out the original rubbery sealer.   Dry it thoroughly, get a good magnifier and light, and a toothpick to work the goop into all the crevices of the sensor, and around the cable entrance.  Let it dry.  since it's a solvent based adhesive, it will shrink a bit.  Simply put a second coat on the fill it up again.  Allow to dry thoroughly and you should be good for life. 

I also got the warranty replacement, GOOPed the cable entrance and joints, and set it aside for a spare incase my repair craps out.  So far, so good.

The GOOP is easier to get hold of than the epoxy that's detailed on Guzzitech, and it's the stickiest stuff I've seen.  You could easily glue an object to plate glass with it.  NO electrical conductivity.

I've always been a big customer of GOOP, from their "shoe goo" (which can help solve a lot of on-the-road problems) to their adhesive.   I'll add it to the list of things to try!

Lannis

bmacneil2008

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
Hi,

100% exact same issue. Yesterday rode for 4 hours in downpour home, miserable ride but made it, Georgia to S. Carolina. Gave the bike a good cleaning today and after towel drying all off took for a quick ride to dry the rest. Same deal, no mph reading and 'Service' LCD and red light.

How best to fix, where is issue, what to seal and ????????????

Thanks.

Robert M.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:01 PM »
Actually, you should be under warranty. Get them to replace it. The replacements are sealed better.

If you need to, you can often pull it from the rear wheel and put it in a warm place for a few day. If you have a way to vacuum it to dry it it quick, that would be good.
Once it is working again, you need to somehow work a sealant into the cracks and where the wire enters.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »
In my experience (Griso) the dry&seal fix is not necessarily foolproof.
Get a new sensor.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
In my experience (Griso) the dry&seal fix is not necessarily foolproof.
Get a new sensor.

Four years on, and the "dry and seal" fix is holding up on the Stelvio.   

Lannis

bmacneil2008

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »
I will just have patience and wait a few days and see if all ok then will apply sealant around the wire. So when is all dry, the red light and service alert does not show? Or do I have to put the tire back on and spin it so the sensor responds before the dashboard resets?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »
I will just have patience and wait a few days and see if all ok then will apply sealant around the wire. So when is all dry, the red light and service alert does not show? Or do I have to put the tire back on and spin it so the sensor responds before the dashboard resets?

If I recall, I'm pretty sure it requires engine running, in gear, clutch out, and some distance traveled.
if you can put a small lamp or anything like that nearby for warmth you will be much better off.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here