Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 41414 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Hi there
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »
Not the O ring that goes around the body of the clutch bearing that sits at the back of the box?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Snowtigeress

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
Try here.  Parts number and names are one same page.

http://www.harpermoto.com/

For example.

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/1980-90-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-65-custom-650-1982-1985/gear-box-en-v65-custom-650-1982-1985.html
 :BEER:
Matt

thanks for that i think i might have found it.....

and Its also giving me the part numbers for my bike :bow

Snowtigeress

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
Not the O ring that goes around the body of the clutch bearing that sits at the back of the box?
thats the one it is,found it through the harpers parts list.so hopefully I can rebuilt it properly tomorrow then jusdt have to wait for my blind bearing puller and ring guzzibits for a shaft input tool,then it should not take long to put back together and in 1 piece........just hope i can find where all the parts that were in the box came from that the mechanic took off when previous owner had it....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:37:46 PM by Snowtigeress »

Snowtigeress

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2014, 07:38:54 AM »
Typical. I have a whole week off work, and I spend it all waiting for stuff; then it all comes on the same day! So where was I? And how much can I get done before I have to go back to work tomorrow?

Used Clutch-Plate from Guzzi-Bits; £6. With a bit of luck, Tef can make me a shaft holding tool out of this.... more waiting!

Blind Bearing puller. It looks like it was made by a bored YTS kid in metalwork! and it didn't go in the hole! Bludy cheapo Chinky e-bay tools! BUT, tef took a dremel to it, ground the petals a bit thinner and more even, and took a little metal off the lip so it went in the end case.

and I tried it out on the swing-arm bearing in the old gearbox

So, that works, lets do the real one.

Bash in the extractor..

Attach the other bits, and BASH!

Here it comes..

and out it is.

Other side.

And out it comes.
I Like this tool!

New swing-arm bearings

clean holes for Swing-Arm bearings

Press it in

Drift it in

Tap it home.

One down, do the other.

SO, what we got next? Mysteriouse circlip and O-Ring.
Yes. Well after looking at all the holes and shafts and not having a clue where the thing could have come from; Tef picked up the remains of the old UJ we'd used to lock the out-put shaft... "Err.. I think it might have come out of here" he admitted..."When I took the bearing cap out so you could put a drift through the hole to lock the shaft" Cheers Tef, could have thought of that earlier!
O-Ring... after much head scratching and looking at many drawings in the book and on the web and looking at ALL the photo's we took when I toook it apart... think it goes on the input shaft, in a rebate on a collar under the big nut. SO... I THINK I can take the box apart A-Gain.. put gaskets in and do it up propperly.

In with the screws and.. torque them all down to 10Nm, with the low range torque wrench. Tef's trying to get me into 'good' habbits. I'm heavy handed, and this is supposed to make sure I dont strip little screws.

And that's about it. I cant put the bell-housing on until Tef has made that shaft holding tool from the old clutch plate. NOT sure how that is going to happen; he says he has an idea that involves an old 21mm socket and his stick-welder.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2014, 07:38:54 AM »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
              Engrossing ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2014, 12:27:16 AM »
Snowtigeress:  I am near-speechless with awe and admiration.  The term "Indomitable" was coined for you.  Please continue to update us and include photos--or we'd never believe it!!

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

tusong200

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
What a great thread!!!

DungeonMaster

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
"I'm a little heavy-handed..."   ;D

That's OK - you sure do one HELL of a job with a total tear down and rectifying some previous dumb-asses screw ups!!

DM

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2014, 09:34:30 AM »
I could never work on a transmission in a white t shirt with horses on it.. ;D :BEER: but they say that good mechanics don't get dirty.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
I'm following this one!
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »
Hello, in the UK I'd also check availability and prices of parts from motomeccaspares.com in Dorset. I had good experience shopping with them so far.
Thanks for updating here with the rebuild.

Dan

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2014, 11:23:34 AM »
Can Snowtigress pop over here and do a clutch for YCRN?  I think she is the chick for the trick clutch repair!!! 

Snowtigress: :bow
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
Snowtigress,

I see pots and pans and kitchen sink in the back round. Maybe eve some bags of food hanging on the wall.
Are you doing this rebuild in your kitchen? Just askin??  ;-T :food
Red 90 Mille GT

Snowtigeress

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
Snowtigress,

I see pots and pans and kitchen sink in the back round. Maybe eve some bags of food hanging on the wall.
Are you doing this rebuild in your kitchen? Just askin??  ;-T :food

Some of it is in my boyfriends kitchen when the weathers bad

My first project started outside but then winter so it ended up behind boyfriends sofa

drying bits by the cooker

rebuilding the brakes at the dinning table

making  new speedo and taco needles

detailing newly painted switch cases

Customising the clocks

whole bike then moved in

as was wiggly time

nearly finished with wiring

sorting out decals to be made up

nearly completed

detailing side panels

tank

Wheels were powdercoated

decided I could not find a helmet I liked so customed my old lid

now a matching set

went out for  a ride with the boyfriend and spotted my next bike

Ok i didn't gert the v50 I went bigger

Snowtigeress

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
Making an Input Shaft Holding Tool[/u]

OK, well, we started with this:-

£6 Used Clutch plate from Gutsibits. Then Tef got ME to drill out the rivets.

Rivets removed; the middle popped out

And after knocking the springs out, that left the splined hub.

Now we needed a handle....

I just happened to find these knocking around.. I think they might have come off a Honda CB125.. ;-) So over to Tef and the big arcy-box!

He drileld a couple of holes and used big washers to bolt through the spring gaps; then splattered weld all over it!

Then tried it on the input shaft...needs a bit if grinding so we can get a socket past it!

The finished tool, in operation, torquing the two-ton nut of doom to 100Nm!

Now the bell-housing can go back on...

Y-E-S... there IS a bell-housing in that picture.....

JUST got to find/buy some screws! and we might be a bit close to making this thing look like a motorbike again... when work give me another day off... maybe!

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »
These photos go to the Moto Guzzi hall of fame. No polished aluminium fuel tank cafe racer, concours restoration, Cycle Garden photos go near.
Good job.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
Like the work being done. ;-T
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Rob Morton

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2014, 01:50:07 AM »
Some of it is in my boyfriends kitchen when the weathers bad

drying bits by the cooker

Yes, this is why am waiting till after the wimbledon wet season before I start the the respray of tank, side boxes, tail light and dash.
Hopefully it will be drier and warmer for quicker, more reliable drying times.

:)

Rob

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
This is, like, one of the most amazing Guzzi mechanical efforts I've seen.  The combination of practical work and beautiful photos are unprecedented in my experience.

It's making me feel REALLY guilty for my lazy butt leaving all sorts of unfinished business in my own shop .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
go, Snowtigress, go!...
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »
Add me to the list of admirers...

Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2014, 08:19:35 AM »
I didn't quite get it.

Show me ONE more time how that bell housing goes on????  ;)

Lannis (make note - Mike Tiberio, admirer number 72)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Snowtigeress

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Right Weekend off again......

Gearbox reassembled just got to tighten the main nut on the bellhousing.....

Trying to find the shaft locking tool or even make something that would do the job

any tips?
I used the broken UJ to hold it on the old gearbox case but thats because it had a huge hole

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2014, 01:28:12 AM »
Can you fabricate a holding tool from the old drive shaft?

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2014, 03:20:22 AM »
We cut the centre  out from an old clutch plate and welded a blinkin great piece of steel on it. Actually, that is not quite correct. We welded a small piece of flat steel on it and then bolted a much larger piece on to it, just in case it needs to be sent to Oz or something.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Snowtigeress

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2014, 12:51:18 AM »
Here's where I've got to.
The shaft holding tool let me tighten up the nut of doom so I could put the bell-housing back on, and put the gearbox back together. But I couldn't do up the input shaft nut. The shaft holding tool would have held the shaft, but I wouldn't have been able to put the socket over the top to do it up; so the shaft had to be locked from the other end of the gearbox... which was how we got it undone; except we now have the turret on the end of the gearbox stopping me hold the shaft with anything, but a new shaft.
So; time to build up the back end, so I can lock the box with the back wheel.

Bevel Box coming off the old swing arm.

Lots of debris left in there!

Bevel box bolted on new swing arm.

Bit of chain? grease on the new shaft...

And fit it to the back of the box.

Bit more on the coupling and splines...

A-N-D this is where it went wrong... the rubber boot ought to be clipped inside the shaft tunnel on the swing arm with a spring clip, THEN clamped round the gearbox turret when the swing-arm is fitted. But I had no spring-clip. It didn't come with the rubber boot... and, the picture in the book, shows a totally different boot, used on the V50! so how was I to know!

anyway, worry about that later, go with what we got.

Swing-arm on, and peg in place... you may notice, I had to take the bevel-box back off!

Observe the peg... that little bugger has come back to haunt me!

Coupling back on...

Bevel box back on... again...

Back wheel 'in'

And the transmission can go back under the bike, so I can use the back brake to lock the shafts to do up the input shaft nut.

So back brake re-fitted...

AND... with a peg spanner on the brake lever, and a couple of pieces of wood through the wheels and swing arm... the input shaft nut can FINALLY be tightened up!

Before I take it all apart... A-Gain! Cos I need to get the swing arm off to fit that ruddy gaiter clip!

Except, remember that peg? well IT decided it didn't want to play ball...
It only went in the day before, and grease was applied to the threads when it went in... NOW it dont want to come out... it was hit with an impact driver, and budged 1/8th of a turn, before it decided to round out!
An old 8mm hex socket was ground to take a packing pin to try and force it to grip... but that rounded too... so we slotted it with drill and dremmel, and tried using the handle of the pin wrench in the slot.... it just bent! This little bugger do NOT want to budge! So... err... well, what else can I do whilst Tef ponders this one?

I know... bolt the engine on!

There we go... err... and that's about it. DID look a bit more bike like... briefly... but then I had to take it to bits again!

So looking for 'stuff' to do, I pondered the rusty exhausts.

And atacked the red-stuff it with wet & dry

Chrome has completely 'gone' on the back of the silencer, and the metal beneath is badly pitted, but seems thick; so hopefully a bit of heat-proof paint will eek a bit more life out of them.

And that's 'progress' since my last week-end off work.
- The gearbox is now rebuilt, and attached to the engine  - note to self; must torque engine bolts.
- Swing Arm peg needs 'sorting', a new peg may be required if it wont come quietly!
- A gaiter spring clip is needed to fit the UJ boot 'properly' Need to try and source that; guzi-bits list it as 'unavailable'.
- Second silencer needs sanding; both need painting. Note to self - order exhaust gaskets.
- brake pads were observed to be rather very 'thin' when caliper refitted; Note to Self; check prices and pennies add to shopping list
- Next Job; attach engine rails and bracketry to transmission; re-fit to bike. THINK I can do that without the swing-arm.. and get it all back in 'sort' of one piece. In fact, might be able to leave UJ gaiter and swing arm peg 'as is' to get it all back together, and then sort those after, if I put the bevel box back on YET again, tempererily!

So SORT of getting there... slowly... when work gives me time off, and I do actually spend it doing stuff twice or thrice over! what the heck... Only June... still got ten weeks till my licence restriction lapses anyway!

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2014, 05:15:38 AM »
Glad to see you're making progress. You really have picked quite a job to tackle but it looks like you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Once you get it on the road, it will be all the more special because all of the work you have put into it. :bow

John Henry

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
Well, fortunately, it looks like you have a spare swing arm because it looks to me like the one you are using is toast. The threads are Shirley  ;D buggered beyond use..
I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the spring for the u joint boot, the boot is pretty well trapped between the back of the transmission and swing arm. Stiff upper lip, and all that... ;D
Edit.. from page 3 of the Lario rehab thread..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:36:25 AM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2014, 06:56:08 AM »
The swingarm is alloy, the stub axle is steel. This is where heat will be your friend. You may end up toasting the boot and you'll need a new stub axle but of you stuff a LOT of heat into the area around the stub axle and then grab hold of it with something big and brutal you will probably be able to get it out. Then run a tap through the threads from the inside out and, touch wood, you'll save it.

Pete

Snowtigeress

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2014, 03:56:03 AM »
Well, fortunately, it looks like you have a spare swing arm because it looks to me like the one you are using is toast. The threads are Shirley  ;D buggered beyond use..

I had to buy a new swinging arm as when I brought it,the uj had shattered the old swing arm

[quote author=Chuck in IndianaI wouldn't be terribly concerned about the spring for the u joint boot, the boot is pretty well trapped between the back of the transmission and swing arm. Stiff upper lip, and all that... ;D
Edit.. from page 3 of the Lario rehab thread..

[/quote]

That pic has the clip in place thats why its tight,mine was flapping all over the place,but managed to get the clip and now its not moving

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here