Author Topic: Good Coffee *NGC*  (Read 17753 times)

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
Re: Good Coffee *NGC*
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »
Ahh,  cuban coffee.  I agree with you. Superb. Desert like. A client introduced me to  that little joy in san jose. Three or four of those and I was good for another all nighter . Also discovered guaranar drinks, another cuban additive. I bought a case of ginger ale from s. Am. With guaranara which contributed greatly to my finishing a three month job in one month... I miss that coffee. A frothy sweet coffee that was unlike any others since. I'd anyone has a great cuban restaurant in Phoenix to recommend, I would appreciate it.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:28 PM »
Go here

https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/

and buy green coffee beans.  Kenya and Yemen for $6 to $8 a pound.

Then go to Target and get an air popcorn popper to roast it yourself.  You will never go back.
All instructions you need are on Sweet Marias' site.

Current mix is Yemen & Kona .  But I did spring for the small roaster.

redrider

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
The topics we discuss! I learned years ago that Maxwell House, Folger's and perhaps others grind their coffee from last years crop and it sits for a year or more until stocked in the store. Flavor/quality start to degrade within 15 min of grinding. No wonder I cannot stand some one else's brew. While I have tried Kenyan, Central American and Hawaiian and generally liked them, I find it hard to beat grinding my own Eight O'clock fresh every morning. Our housemates during vacation were astounded at the fresh, robust flavor without bitterness. It became quite a hit for the week at the beach.

And don't even attempt to sell me a cup from Starbucks. Trendy crap.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »
  I agree but you should try the Kau coffee.  It's the latest thing here among Konas.
  BTW don't buy Kona blends.  There is currently a scandal on how little Kona added to other coffee makes it labeled Kona blend.
  Some have none at all.  Buy pure 100% Kona or the new Kau.

As long as they are meeting their trademark requirements I don't think I should not drink a coffee I enjoy just because it says it’s a Kona blend. I buy the Archer Farms Kona Blend from Target for use in our ADC as an everyday coffee.  The label says "blended with 10% Genuine Hawaiian Kona coffee" so I assume they are living up to the trade name requirements but I would never buy it thinking I was getting a Kona anyway.  It's just a good low acid coffee that has enough flavor that I can drink black but works for Kim too when she adds in her fixings.  And since it's $9 for a 20oz bag it's easy on the wallet (note I do ride a Guzzi).

For Kona I get the Blue Horse medium beans from Amazon and at least from the notes I receive them here within a few days of their roasting.  No ADC for those bad boys as I press them.  $36/lb delivered means I drink a whole lot more of the Target stuff but for a few weeks a year I get spoiled.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
As a COSTCO shopper I try all of their whole bean roasts.  "Peruvian" was good but is no longer available. Lately, "Costa Rica" is about the only light roast available here in Montana.  It's good too.

But for the fact coffee beans continue to loose flavor after they are ground, there has been little talk about coffee preparation and the types of grinds necessary to do so.  Drip is okay but if I have time, I prefer a more favorable French press brew.

And if you eally have the time, Turkish brewed coffee is strongly smooth and has a bit more horsepower.  Product of the grind process is like powder and it's slow heated, until it foams, in an ibrik - that long handled thingie with a pour-cup on the end.  The imported Turkish branded Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi is just too metallic tasting for me. [Maybe cause it's shipped over in a tin.]  My home burr grinder is adequate, but most often I go to Starbucks for processing.  But, I also slowly accumulate the ultra fine powder that's always deposited on the top and sides of the grind chamber, after any grinding process.

So there.

'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
I was given a Nespresso Pixie coffee machine for my birthday this summer.
If it broke down I'd go out and buy an other tomorrow!

makes small or big cups:

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
Spuddy -- it's hard to grind coffee fine enough for Turkish / Greek / Armenian /etc (Middle Eastern). The best I've found is Venizelos. It's as finely-ground as flour.
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »
It's not the 10% kona in a blend that bothers me, it's what they swept up off the floor to make the other 90% that keeps me buying unblended, whole beans.

I still use the cheeep "San Francisco" French roast whole beans in the 3# bag.  I grind a few through the kitchenaid grain mill (very consistent grit) and brew through my (very old and failing) kitchenaid espresso machine.  None better.  I'm having a cuppa right now.

When I was in America last month my hosts had coffeemakers that used little Dixie cups filled with whatever coffee.  You drop the charge into the breach, close the receiver, and it punctures the Dixie cup and forces water through it.  One example allowed me to choose my water amount (4 - 12 oz, I think) and with the other you control the amount of water out by the amount that you add to begin with.  The concept is not bad -- pre-measured grounds in a neat, spillproof container.  But the Dixie cups are packaged 50 - 100 in a box, preground.  Nobody but Juan Valdez knows what's actually in those dixie cups or when it was processed.  And unless you drink a crapload of the stuff, even a 50ct box stays on the kitchen shelf a long time (this is after it's been on the shelf at the piggly-wiggly for a long time).  IMO, beans ground yesterday are already one day stale and taste it.  Although I appreciated the convenience and drank this stuff, I couldn't wait to get home and have a FRESH cuppa.

Spuddy -- it's hard to grind coffee fine enough for Turkish / Greek / Armenian /etc (Middle Eastern). The best I've found is Venizelos. It's as finely-ground as flour.
cr

It's impossible to get a good grind from one of those helicopter-rotor impact grinders.  They can't do a consistent grit and they bruise the beans playing whack-a-mole with them.  I use a mill grinder.  Right now that means a grain mill attachment on my kitchenaid power head.  I can dial in the grit I want and always get the same size powder back -- less the bruising of the cheeep grinders.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 04:29:37 PM »
I use a mill grinder. 

Blade = Bad.  Burr = Better.  But is Mill any different?

Anybody got mill grinder pics?
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
No pics, but my mill grinder has two plates -- one stationary and one driven -- that can be 'dialed' to the desired gap (= grit size).  I typically run the adjuster in until the plates touch and then back it off about four clicks.  After testing the grit I might open or close it a half-click.  Here's a link to an example.  It has a video to help explain it.

This is the standard, metal, kitchenaid grain mill attachment.   Mine is much older and has a metal auger and a different knob and faceplate, but I think it's functionally identical.  Some folks prefer the metal auger on general principles, and some like the plastic one because it's easier to clean the peppercorns out before switching over to coffee.  I use mine to also mill flour and grind seeds like peppercorns, mustard, rice, etc.  I've not seen the metal auger as an issue, and I'm a big believer in metal over plastic.

Phil_P

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
Store your ground coffee or unground beans in the freezer and the flavo(u)r will last much longer.

Phil

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
I used to buy gourmet coffee. Since the budget does not allow any more I have grown fond of supermarket Cafe Bustelo.

Now that I have been given a Keurig I have one of the fill with your own containers for it and make single servings for myself all the time. I use much less grounds and the coffee is great. I am not into the Keurig cups of flavored garbage but I do like the fill with your own option. Not fancy I know but for great coffee on a budget I don't think it can be beat. If you want to try Bustelo it's often found in the ethnic food isle and not with the rest of the other coffee.

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 12:58:54 AM »
I'd sort of like to try Bustelo just for the experience, because it seems to be the standard for Cuban coffee.  We're far from Cuba here (and our one chance to get any closer we went to Puerto Rico, which has its own coffee thing going on.)  My guess is that it's going to be a pretty dark roast, with more than a hint of robusta ... but haven't ever seen it for sale around here, and for the same reason if anyone stocks it, they probably don't sell much, so it's likely to be old.  It would be interesting though to have some idea how to roast/blend for Cuban taste.

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
I find Bustelo everywhere here but like I said it's never with the coffee but in the ethnic food isle often in a brick and not in a can. Surprisingly hard to spot even if you know what you are looking for. If you like I would be happy to send you a can sometime.

I agree on the fresh mad bread as well. There is a little restaurant in Delphi Indiana called Stone house. They have the best bread I have ever tasted. There BLT sandwich is like none I have ever tasted anywhere else. 

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
I love coffee. I prefer Kona. I grind it myself and throw it in the French press.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

keithl

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »
One benefit of the USA becoming a northern province of Mexico is that grocery stores now carry the packets of Nestle instant coffee from Mexico, which are just as good/awful as Starbucks', at literally 1/10 the price. Check them out, they actually aren't terrible.

I know exactly the coffee you're talking about, I have some at home.  It's good and easy and I'm a picky coffee guy.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
What about Community Coffee?  My son who found it in Louisiana swears by it.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline G5

• New Egg
    • MotoGuzziGuy
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 06:16:59 PM »
+1 for Eight O'Clock beans, especially Decaf, Central Highlands & African Plains.  Using an electric kettle to make really hot water to pour over Melita & Chemex coffee makers.  Haven't noticed that the type of grinder makes a difference in the taste.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
2017 Royal Enfield 500

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »
Bunch of fussy eaters, eh? No wonder our oil threads get so involved.

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
What about Community Coffee?  My son who found it in Louisiana swears by it.

Being born and raised in South La. I've been drinking Community for over 40 yrs. It's finally spreading out a little in the S.E., but can always be had thru their very good online services. I told a friend about it and he's been on their subscription service for 10 yrs now. I currently drink their coffee & chicory blend (very mellow med. roast,quiet rich), they're best known for their dark roast (real deal, serious dark roast, what my mom calls tug boat coffee). Very good quality at supermarket prices. Give 'em a try.  
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »
  But is it as good as elephant poop coffee?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »
  But is it as good as elephant poop coffee?

How big a cup do you need for that?
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2014, 05:55:19 AM »
 Organic Sumatran we get at Wegmans. My wife grinds the beans every morning.....The drink of the gods...

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »
I used to drink the Morning ride variety from http://www.jitteryjoes.com/ I worked at a place that sold it and could buy it at wholesale pricing. I seem to remember it being tiger poop beans though I could find no reference on there web site. Any way another very good coffee.

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:17 AM »
It's funny the way this thread has gone. I posted the original post both here and over on Badweb, and after reading the various responses, I've come to these conclusions.
I'm doing it all wrong! I'm buying my beans (usually) at Starbucks, I use a Krups spinning blade grinder and I brew it in a Mister Coffee coffee maker.
Oh! The shame of it all!
But; ya know what? I like it, and friends who have coffee at my place like it. I have one friend who tells me it's the best coffee she's ever tasted. I guess my friends have no taste when it comes to coffee, either.
I'm sitting here typing this and drinking a cup of the blended Kenya. It tastes pretty good to me. Once the Mamuto AA beans run out, I'll go back to drinking coffee made from just Starbucks beans and I'll enjoy that.
It's fun, though to see how different people like their coffee. This coffee thread has gotten the same mixed opinions on both forums, and it's almost as good as an oil thread. Thanks, guys.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 11:03:14 AM »
Still trying to improve my already good - great coffee I have just ordered a Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741 to replace the Cuisinart dripper. Can't wait for it to get here and taste the difference (real or imagined) this makes in my morning cups.... **C
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
Still trying to improve my already good - great coffee I have just ordered a Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741 to replace the Cuisinart dripper. Can't wait for it to get here and taste the difference (real or imagined) this makes in my morning cups.... **C

Wow!  That's a fancy one.   How will you know if the difference is "real" or "imagined"?   ;)

I suppose it's just like the feeling you get with new golf clubs or a new shotgun or a new boat ... it doesn't MATTER if it's real or imagined!   ;-T

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »
I'm doing it all wrong! I'm buying my beans (usually) at Starbucks, I use a Krups spinning blade grinder and I brew it in a Mister Coffee coffee maker.

If you were really doing it all wrong, you'd have bought the coffee already ground.  There's no real question that a burr grinder does a better job than the bean blender type, but it's kind of a fine point and the difference might be hard to detect depending on how the results are brewed.

I don't know anything about the Mister Coffee equipment, the only specific complaint I know of with drip brewers is that with some of them, it's hard to brew full strength coffee - not room for enough coffee in the basket or something.  Maybe a problem only if you're making a full pot?  Don't know, on the rare occasions when I use one it's all guess work.

That Technivorm looks pretty slick.  For a while there was great enthusiasm for vacuum or siphon style brewers - like they used back in the '30s, when my Sunbeam was made.  It's chrome plated copper with its own element, but more typically they're glass stovetop designs, two more or less spherical parts, one on top of the other.  The top is a sort of funnel, that seals into the bottom part where the water is boiled.  The steam forces the water up through the funnel into the coffee grounds, and then when you take it off the flame, it cools and sucks the brewed coffee back down into the pot.  Supposed to be one of the cleaner brews, vs. say French press.

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:26 PM »
When done properly, I like Turkish/Greek brew as a good espresso, and the equipment is simpler for the first. You got to have the correct coffee grind for that. The Israeli "Elite Turkish coffee" is decent and can be easily found in the USA. Ketter/Rajuan is better.  I'm sure there are other brands as good but I'm not familiar with what's in the shops in America. It's a fine grind with the appropriate roasting. You could make your own roast and grind but it's too big a hassle imo.
Fill a Finjan (or any small pot if you don't have one) with ~6 oz of water for each cup, add a full tea spoon of the coffee to each, stir it. Heat the finjan on a small fire. Once the coffee simmers and starts to rise, take the finjan off the fire a stir again. Repeat heating till rise and stir, and that's all to it. You can add sugar while brewing or after, makes no difference. Neither is the amount of froth.
Take care to remove the finjan off the fire once it rises, if you let it boil you'll get burnt coffee and if you'll drink that you will not want to hear about coffee for a week.

Coffee (n.), a person who is coughed upon
(form www.washingtonpost. com alternate dictionary)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
Fill a Finjan (or any small pot if you don't have one) with ~6 oz of water for each cup, add a full tea spoon of the coffee to each, stir it. Heat the finjan on a small fire. Once the coffee simmers and starts to rise, take the finjan off the fire a stir again. Repeat heating till rise and stir, and that's all to it. You can add sugar while brewing or after, makes no difference. Neither is the amount of froth.

So how do you avoid getting a mouthful of grounds?   Does it go through a filter after .... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here