Author Topic: New Moto Guzzi promo with Ewan McGregor & V7 Racer  (Read 17274 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: New Moto Guzzi promo with Ewan McGregor & V7 Racer
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 09:05:28 PM »
I think Ewan is a great choice for Guzzi spokesmodel.

The guy has been riding Guzzis for years.  Used to ride a LM-I around London before he became a superstar.

He rides.  He rode Guzzis for years before getting paid to ride them.  True enthusiast.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »
HEY NOW ,IT'S EWAN and he's got an app for Moto Guzzi. B.F.D Sorry I'm a dinosaur and really hate this crap.  Mindless drivel I say.

Paul :BEER:

Guys....guzzi is a COMPANY. they make products FOR SALE....to, you know, CUSTOMERS. These are people, with money, looking to buy a MOTORCYLE. Moto Guzzi sells motorcycles. Bringing GUZZI and CUSTOMERS together is not a negative thing, is it? am I missing something?

WTH is wrong with them having a spokesmodel that brings a bit of attention to the line? Can you think of a marketing campaign for a product that went out of it's way to promote it's product without trying to add a bit of zip and appeal? So who do they find. This bloke.

Raise your hands kids...which of you has ridden your motorcycle across Mongolia and Siberia? Right. I thought so.

McGregor can afford any frickin' bike he wants. But when some journalist looking for a a high profile submission for a magazine, sportin' some run o' the mill HD softail says, Hey Ewan, I want to do a day ride with you and interview you along the way....and the guy, who, let's face it, could by the '47 Indian for sale here with 1/10th of the payday he got for his 2 minute guzzi promo...that guy shows up on a '72 Ambo and states he likes to take the back roads and take his time....and the Ambo is one of four or five or six Guzzi's in the garage....WTH are we trashing this guy? I don't get it.

Seriously. Extract that broom handle from that rear orifice.....this weekend ride will probably be a LOT more comfy anyway.

And, stay off my lawn!   :wife:
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »
What's with this whippersnapper from the talkies posing on a girl's bike!

We need more grumpy old retired farts on carb equipped big blocks representing the brand. And what's wrong with newspaper advertising!?!

Bah humbug!

;p
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »
WTH are we trashing this guy? I don't get it.

Yeah.  I don't get it, either.   
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 06:24:54 AM »
He's probably just tightening up everything the factory left loose..... ;D

That is really, really funny!   :D

Bill

P.S.  Now, as Verizon just upped our data limit ("for free; no strings"  ;) ::) ) from 20GB to 40 GB per month, I guess I'll go watch the vid. 

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
What's with this whippersnapper from the talkies posing on a girl's bike!

We need more grumpy old retired farts on carb equipped big blocks representing the brand. And what's wrong with newspaper advertising!?!

Bah humbug!

;p

I must be getting old <sigh>.
Carbs=your brains
FI=your bikes brains
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
WTH are we trashing this guy? I don't get it.

I'm not a Ewan trasher, but at my age, it does look less convincing to me than it would if it were an older guy in the promo.  If I were were still in my 30s or younger, I'd probably think it was really cool.

When I look at record jackets on 70s rock albums now, and see the band members that I thought looked like the coolest, baddest people around when I was in my teens and 20s and bought the records, they mostly look like kids trying to look cool.

So as Tazturtle was saying, I think it's an age thing, and Guzzi aimed this promo at guys younger than we are.  Actually that's pretty smart of them.    :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:54:25 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

andrewdonald1

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »
The guzzi model I believe is in the same state as toyota was a few years ago.
Their customer base is getting older and if they want to survive they need to bring in a new young generation of customers.
That was the point of the Scion line in the USA (maybe that brand line exists around the world.. I don't know).. Toyota's original customer base was built in the 70-80's.
They/we aren't getting any younger.

I see Ewan as a way to connect and potentially build a new customer base from the younger generations.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 09:51:14 AM »
he's 43. His "hit" was filmed 19 years ago. Considered a Middle aged white guy, by many.

Now if this were Justin Bieber or one of the Jonas brothers, I'd be on the eyeroll bandwagon. I guess, as I see it, realizing that image generating has to happen in an instant, an in a medium that is all about slick production (30 seconds of a youtube vid), they could do a lot worse than to find a middle aged guy that actually loves and uses the product, and is a household name throughout the western world (Europe, North America, Asia), and has a generally positive reputation and image. Trainspotting to Star Wars, no black eyed Transvestite mugshots, has a wife and kids.

Seems pretty shrewd to me.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 09:58:22 AM »
Sorry guys, my point was the Madison avenue drivel to sell something,  not bashing Ewan although if he is the poster boy for motorcycling this season I think he's lowered his standards a little for this and it's just another paycheck for him. No particular value showing features and benefits of the product. Matthew McConahay(sp) selling Lincolns?? same nonsense, mood lighting, slick camera angles, music that somebody thought fit etc etc.

A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline freedom

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Most of these comments make you guys sound like hipsters  ;)  ;D ;D ;D
"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
Guys....guzzi is a COMPANY. they make products FOR SALE....to, you know, CUSTOMERS. These are people, with money, looking to buy a MOTORCYLE. Moto Guzzi sells motorcycles. Bringing GUZZI and CUSTOMERS together is not a negative thing, is it? am I missing something?

WTH is wrong with them having a spokesmodel that brings a bit of attention to the line? Can you think of a marketing campaign for a product that went out of it's way to promote it's product without trying to add a bit of zip and appeal? So who do they find. This bloke.

Raise your hands kids...which of you has ridden your motorcycle across Mongolia and Siberia? Right. I thought so.

McGregor can afford any frickin' bike he wants. But when some journalist looking for a a high profile submission for a magazine, sportin' some run o' the mill HD softail says, Hey Ewan, I want to do a day ride with you and interview you along the way....and the guy, who, let's face it, could by the '47 Indian for sale here with 1/10th of the payday he got for his 2 minute guzzi promo...that guy shows up on a '72 Ambo and states he likes to take the back roads and take his time....and the Ambo is one of four or five or six Guzzi's in the garage....WTH are we trashing this guy? I don't get it.

Seriously. Extract that broom handle from that rear orifice.....this weekend ride will probably be a LOT more comfy anyway.

:+1

More power to Moto Guzzi if the McGregor ad campaign sells motorcycles to the next generation of riders. Personally if some hipster jumps on any of the V7 line up over an HD Iron 883 or Triumph Bonneville it's a win for the marque, which desperately needs new blood in my opinion. Is the ad campaign imagery and fluff? Sure, but if that's the hook that then get's a potential new Goose pilot into a dealership so be it. As far as McGregor goes, as someone previously posted he's owned and ridden Moto Guzzi's long before he his movie career. Hardly a sell out if he jumps on board to promote a marque he's been enthusiastic about for going on two decades and if he's makes some extra coin doing it good for him.
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
Hey, lay off, the guy has a Tenni!  ;D
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
New Moto Guzzi promo with Ewan McGregor & V7 Racer
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
If he's not a 'real' Guzzisti, he sure puts a lot of effort into pretending that he is.. On the internet

http://instagram.com/mcgregor_ewan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »
His frist hit was 19 years ago, he has been in many big movies since.  Ever heard of Obi Wonkonobi?   :  Everything I have ever read or seen about him makes me like the guy.   I like him even more knowing he is a Guzzista!!!

Ewan is, registered on this board, don't know if he has ever posted, but Luap said he is legal to do so.  Maybe he will chime in and tell you Dicks where to go.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:54:43 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
"Wonkonobi" , is that Swahili for chocolate candy ? ;D

Dusty

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
43 is young to me!  Been to any bike shows lately. The depends outnumber the hipsters 3 to 1  :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
If he's not a 'real' Guzzisti, he sure puts a lot of effort into pretending that he is.. On the internet

http://instagram.com/mcgregor_ewan

He calls that bike "Shitstorm" - looks like shit, but rolls like thunder!

Kurt
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:42:40 PM by Tazturtle »
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
Sorry guys, my point was the Madison avenue drivel to sell something,  not bashing Ewan although if he is the poster boy for motorcycling this season I think he's lowered his standards a little for this and it's just another paycheck for him. No particular value showing features and benefits of the product. Matthew McConahay(sp) selling Lincolns?? same nonsense, mood lighting, slick camera angles, music that somebody thought fit etc etc.

yep. I get this. and they could certainly focus on the idea of RIDING more than the idea of how cool it looks to be dressed for riding...no argument there.

His frist hit was 19 years ago, he has been in many big movies since.  Ever heard of Obi Wonkonobi?   :  Everything I have ever read or seen about him makes me like the guy.   I like him even more knowing he is a Guzzista!!!

Ewan is, registered on this board, don't know if he has ever posted, but Luap said he is legal to do so.  Maybe he will chime in and tell you Dicks where to go.

easy there, young jedi!
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2014, 02:00:11 AM »
Sorry fellas but for my generation, (x) Ewan Macgregor is the closest thing we have to Carey Grant.  Watched Train spotting
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »
Train Spotting.

Not for the squeamish.
http://youtu.be/HykHNFjApGc
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:15:54 AM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline freedom

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
Sorry fellas but for my generation, (x) Ewan Macgregor is the closest thing we have to Carey Grant.  Watched Train spotting

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee

Rick T.

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »
Yeah.  I don't get it, either.   

I really love my Guzzi. And I really like that Guzzi understands how to connect with a younger, newer generation. I can say this, though...  I'm on a few other boards. Of all the discussion boards I've participated in past and present, this one has the grumpiest, crustiest, meanest, old-farts around.  Sometimes it's funny... Most times it's just sad.  I'll be 48 next February - maybe in 20 years I'll understand.  ;D

Offline Oca

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
I really love my Guzzi. And I really like that Guzzi understands how to connect with a younger, newer generation. I can say this, though...  I'm on a few other boards. Of all the discussion boards I've participated in past and present, this one has the grumpiest, crustiest, meanest, old-farts around.  Sometimes it's funny... Most times it's just sad.  I'll be 48 next February - maybe in 20 years I'll understand.  ;D

I'm 65 and this post is spot on.  :)
Santa Rosa Valley, CA
'06 -- 1100 Breva -- GONE
'12 -- Stelvio NTX 1200 (burnt orange) -- GONE
'14 -- Griso 1200 SE

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

:+1  it gets really tiring readi.g some of the bilious spew that some members seem to post reflexively. Why would Ewan even care to post in this environment?  Personally, he seems like someone who doesn't have to prove anything to anybody, least of all some of the mean spirited grumps on this board.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »
The red suspender jokes are here for a reason!   Guzzi seems to be working hard to broaden its customer base, and that is very needed.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Penderic

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
That explains the plaque that came with the owner's manual.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:11:51 PM by Penderic »

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »
:+1  it gets really tiring readi.g some of the bilious spew that some members seem to post reflexively. Why would Ewan even care to post in this environment?  Personally, he seems like someone who doesn't have to prove anything to anybody, least of all some of the mean spirited grumps on this board.

2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Penderic

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Ewan's a good person to have as a spokesman and rep.   ;-T

--------------------------------------------------------------------
For the fringe....

For the ladies....

Phil_P

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 06:30:45 AM »
According to my kids, I'm a grumpy git, but compared to some of the experts on here, I am but a neophyte!

Phil

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here