Author Topic: GoPro, Garmin or Other Action Cams ?  (Read 24392 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
GoPro, Garmin or Other Action Cams ?
« on: November 27, 2014, 05:33:11 AM »
Have any of you guys tried an action cam?

I've decided to get one and I'm trying to select the best.

One of my fellow euro riders had a Garmin attached to his helmet on our ride through the Alps.  I was impressed how the Garmin would display a subwindow of a map with an icon for the rider and show where on the map the video was made as the video played back.

There's been a few comparative reviews published but others' experiences can be helpful.

http://action-camcorders-review.toptenreviews.com/

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:57:47 AM by leafman60 »

oceanluvr

Re: GoPro, Garmin or Other Action Cam ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »
i was just about to post the same question  ;D

Go-Pro seems to have a lock on the market by the number of users; however, I like the Garmin as it interfaces with other Garmin products such as the electronics on my boat and I would assume newer generation GPS units.  On the other hand, I like the shape of the Contour+2, seems a lot more aerodynamic as oppose to the Go-Pro.   Will be interesting to hear feedback from real users of all the devices.  The following link has a listing of probably all of the cameras on the market today with user reviews.  

Once I narrow it down to a few I always check AMAZON for best pricing plus they sell a heck of a lot of product so therefore has a lot of good end-user reviews.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Sports-Action-Cameras/ci/20184/pn/2/N/4062787633
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:05:42 AM by oceanluvr »

dilligaf

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 06:29:58 AM »
I purchased a GoPro for Marion about 3 years ago.   She fooled around with it but, after a month or so it went in the drawer. I dug it out and played with it attached to my windshield.  The GoPro has it's uses but I seldom use it.  I have no problem with the pictures it takes or the videos. Right now it's in the drawer.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 06:47:45 AM »
GoPro has the most shooting options and mounts.. file storage gets huge fast..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFeuPWgDB9k
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 06:47:45 AM »

oceanluvr

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 06:55:51 AM »
I just went on Amazon to check out the action cameras and apparently they are having a 'black Friday'  sale [Thanksgiving] on a lot of the action cams....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12/184-3159608-1021200?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=action+camera&sprefix=action+camer%2Celectronics%2C267

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:17:20 AM »
I just went on Amazon to check out the action cameras and apparently they are having a 'black Friday'  sale [Thanksgiving] on a lot of the action cams....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12/184-3159608-1021200?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=action+camera&sprefix=action+camer%2Celectronics%2C267
Interesting how so many of them look like complete copies of the GoPro for a fraction of the price.. wonder how they perform in a comparison..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

redrider

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »
I use the Vio-POV HD. Picture quality is outstanding and depending on settings, up to 5 days of video can be recorded on a 32 gig card. Most other cams use proprietary batteries with lengthy recharge times. Vio uses 4 AA. I prefer NiMH and I keep 2-3 sets ready with a swap out after a couple of hours. An Eveready Rapid Charger fills them up in 30-45 minutes. No fiddling with pesky recharge time. Lithium batteries last longer but costs are constant.

The best feature is the DVR with full color screen. In the field editing is a godsend and the settings menu has everything you need. Really. Waterproof? Yes. I used one to film a dolphin excursion in September. I also just installed a remote mic in the tail of the V11 and that works well.

$329.00 gets you a lot of camera that looks good on the bike. Gopro is butt ugly, IMO. I have video posted on youtube-89Millegt is the channel. VIO make an outstanding product. I have two, one front and one rear.

I did get one of those innovv ones but it is a PITA to program and edit settings. Run time is about the same but you must recharge with a PC or laptop. Video is good.

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »
I have tons of videos from mostly going to Alaska and back on the Super Tenere, pretty boring, and way to big to put on the net.  The cameras are good for close up stuff, but when in a ride with others it doesn't show much.

On a trip to Colorado this summer, with 24 others on dirtbikes, they had tons of videos on every ride (8 days) but I didn't get a single one.  Tip, carry several SD cards if you wish to copy some videos from others.  Every evening we downloaded the videos to the computer, but unless you were in the same cabin with someone, and had a blank 32gb SD card you would not get them.  I viewed bunches of videos on laptops from the Gopro 4 and they are great pictures/videos.

I have uploaded some but I have tons more on my computer.
My channel on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCry67t8NvnzPWEt_6ZykjgQ

P.S.  The newer gopros have wifi so you can get an app for your smartphone to manage the gopro.  Several of the riders had the gopro mounted on their helmet, and the iphone mounted in a holder on the dirtbike handlebars, every pause, they could be seen adjusting the camera for better aiming, and editing the tape they just made.

Unless you have young eyes tho, the smartphones are about impossible to see in the daylight especially if you are wearing sunglasses.

The guy behind me captured this ride from start to finish, but I am still trying to get a copy (rainbow trail), Chris where are you, LOL. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:31:02 AM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

oceanluvr

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »
In case you were not confused enough...Action Cam Battle Spring 2014: The Six Best   :pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij-aAlYcyhU&spfreload=10

After watching this excellent comparison, I would eliminate the Garmin and Ion and rank the Go-Pro and Sony as the winners.  Sony definitely had the best sound quality and just about equal on the video quality IMO....what say you?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:37:02 AM by oceanluvr »

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:54:29 AM »
Lots of uses for the Gopro or similar.  This is Gopro's new drone.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:55:49 AM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

biking sailor

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:08:59 AM »
The lens angle is an important feature to select.  Electronically adjustable are best, but with features up goes the price.

I don't use them much, but my son does a regular MC blog with tons of video footage and produces ride videos of others, leading and following them.  He regularly has 3 or 4 cameras mounted on his bike, along with his helmet cam (which he likes the Drift for it's aerodynamics and controllability) when he's filming. He'll always turn his helmet cam on all the time, along with the Sena mounted on the other side.  He spends more on camera equipment than I do on all my riding gear!

His advice to me was don't waste your money on the cheap GoPro imitators.  You won't be happy in the long run.

tusong200

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 09:14:11 AM »
GoPro has the most shooting options and mounts.. file storage gets huge fast..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFeuPWgDB9k

Long live JB...."Truth" in any other form is still "Truth"

Kentktk

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
It is quite amazing how well an iPhone 5 does with on the bike ( attached to Helmet ) videos. This is even after Vimeo reduced the quality from 1080p to 720p

https://vimeo.com/113006621?utm_source=email&utm_medium=clip-transcode_complete-finished-20120100&utm_campaign=7701&email_id=Y2xpcF90cmFuc2NvZGVkfGZjOTRmMDY1MDY1NmQ1NDVhZTU2NjE5NDIwYTBmYjYyMTAwMHwzMjI3OTg0MnwxNDE3MDkyMDgwfDc3MDE%3D

oceanluvr

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 09:54:31 AM »
It is quite amazing how well an iPhone 5 does with on the bike ( attached to Helmet ) videos. This is even after Vimeo reduced the quality from 1080p to 720p

https://vimeo.com/113006621?utm_source=email&utm_medium=clip-transcode_complete-finished-20120100&utm_campaign=7701&email_id=Y2xpcF90cmFuc2NvZGVkfGZjOTRmMDY1MDY1NmQ1NDVhZTU2NjE5NDIwYTBmYjYyMTAwMHwzMjI3OTg0MnwxNDE3MDkyMDgwfDc3MDE%3D

You know i was thinking, why is it bank robber footage seems like it was shot with an old 8mm, why is that, when there are amateur cameras that duplicate movie theater quality?     ??? Just wondering...don't want to hijack the thread

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »
 I use a Contour Roam, I like the shape, very simple to use with it's big on off switch so you can turn it on and off with gloves on. It is waterproof and very rugged. Down side is you can't change the settings without plugging in to the lap top. I think the new versions have more controls. You can get the Roam for around $120.
http://youtu.be/gxsUD1TwsGQ
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gxsUD1TwsGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:05:17 AM by steven c »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
I was just looking at this Sony:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1073680-REG/sony_hdr_as20_b_hdr_as20_compact_pov_action.html

Image stabilization, remote mic., WiFi...  $100 Black Friday sale

If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
But, I really like the idea of coordinating the video you capture with a map location of where the pictures come from.  Can GoPro do this easily?

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »
I also have a Contour. One feature I really like is that you can rotate the lens so the video is perfectly vertical no matter where/how you mount the camera. I like the controls better than the GoPro, too. Contour went out of business for a while but is back and should be introducing some new models.

Rich A

redrider

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
In the field editing and adjustments with universal power supply. VIO. The Chosen One.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
My brother likes his GoPro.  The feature he likes most is that his iPhone can be used as the viewfinder.  They link through some sort of bluetooth connection.  The camera can get location date from the phone and can be controlled by the phone.  So, he can mount the camera anywhere he wants, put the phone in a cradle on the bars and see whatever it is the camera sees.

Me?  I don't bother with pictures.  The scenes that I see as breathtaking are 'ho hum' in a picture.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
My brother likes his GoPro.  The feature he likes most is that his iPhone can be used as the viewfinder.  They link through some sort of bluetooth connection.  The camera can get location date from the phone and can be controlled by the phone.  So, he can mount the camera anywhere he wants, put the phone in a cradle on the bars and see whatever it is the camera sees.

I have GP3 and that is how I set mine up, but didn't realize can get location date. Haven't had it that long and of course I have not read the entire book.

Fun to have but I have to figure out how to edit so I don't fall asleep watching the boring stuff.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
I have Sony Action Cam and am pretty happy with it. Has it's disadvantages of course, but i paid a quarter of what a GoPro would run me.

Will provide links to my videos later.

redge

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 05:48:52 PM »
I don't understand why people keep churning out these videos. Several minutes of what a person on a road, whether on a bike or in a car, sees in front of him or her is a pretty good definition of pointless.

Nobody who makes serious motorcycle videos uses this kind of footage more than a few seconds at a time, and for good reason. It puts people to sleep.

P.S. I'm talking about road footage, not dirt bike race footage, etc., which is a different issue.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:59:11 PM by redge »

redge

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
I use the Vio-POV HD. Picture quality is outstanding and depending on settings, up to 5 days of video can be recorded on a 32 gig card. Most other cams use proprietary batteries with lengthy recharge times. Vio uses 4 AA. I prefer NiMH and I keep 2-3 sets ready with a swap out after a couple of hours. An Eveready Rapid Charger fills them up in 30-45 minutes. No fiddling with pesky recharge time. Lithium batteries last longer but costs are constant.

The best feature is the DVR with full color screen. In the field editing is a godsend and the settings menu has everything you need. Really. Waterproof? Yes. I used one to film a dolphin excursion in September. I also just installed a remote mic in the tail of the V11 and that works well.

$329.00 gets you a lot of camera that looks good on the bike. Gopro is butt ugly, IMO. I have video posted on youtube-89Millegt is the channel. VIO make an outstanding product. I have two, one front and one rear.

I did get one of those innovv ones but it is a PITA to program and edit settings. Run time is about the same but you must recharge with a PC or laptop. Video is good.

I've watched all of your videos. There are two problems. You have significant problems with image quality (there are serious exposure issues that would be corrected with a better understanding of digital latitude) and with sound quality (although recording with a mic off the camera is an improvement).

The second problem is that I could not figure out why any of your videos have been made public. Are they supposed to be videos that you think people want to see for their content, or are they all "tests" of the gear that you've spent a bunch of money on that you want to share as "tests"?

I'm asking because you've been posting videos for a couple of years, but what you've posted all looks like really rough test videos, none of it edited and none of it looking anything close to a decent home movie, let alone a finished video.

Re your comment about GoPro - that it looks "butt ugly" - not sure what it means (the camera or the images that it produces) but have you actually owned and used one of their cameras?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:55:06 PM by redge »

redge

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
Have any of you guys tried an action cam?

I've decided to get one and I'm trying to select the best.

One of my fellow euro riders had a Garmin attached to his helmet on our ride through the Alps.  I was impressed how the Garmin would display a subwindow of a map with an icon for the rider and show where on the map the video was made as the video played back.

There's been a few comparative reviews published but others' experiences can be helpful.

http://action-camcorders-review.toptenreviews.com/

This is a pretty good "action cam" video, made in New York with a Bentley and an iPhone 5s:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYhM0XIIwU

P.S. If you do a bit of research about how this video was made, yes you'll find that certain shots, particularly camera movement shots, were done with some fairly sophisticated gear; but those shots aside, this video says plenty about what can be done by someone with a cell phone or tablet and some skill and imagination.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:38:49 PM by redge »

oceanluvr

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
I've watched all of your videos. There are two problems. You have significant problems with image quality (there are serious exposure issues that would be corrected with a better understanding of digital latitude) and with sound quality (although recording with a mic off the camera is an improvement).

The second problem is that I could not figure out why any of your videos have been made public. Are they supposed to be videos that you think people want to see for their content, or are they all "tests" of the gear that you've spent a bunch of money on that you want to share as "tests"?

I'm asking because you've been posting videos for a couple of years, but what you've posted all looks like really rough test videos, none of it edited and none of it looking anything close to a decent home movie, let alone a finished video.

Re your comment about GoPro - that it looks "butt ugly" - not sure what it means (the camera or the images that it produces) but have you actually owned and used one of their cameras?

WOW, what a rough crowd!   Freedom is the word of the day... It's your choice to watch them or not!  But I don't think he asked for your opinion on the quality of his videos.  Only 17 posts, not a paying supporter and you are already bashing a member, not a good start IMO.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:52:46 PM by oceanluvr »

redge

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
WOW, what a rough crowd!   Freedom is the word of the day... It's your choice to watch them or not!  But I don't think he asked for your opinion on the quality of his videos.  Only 17 posts, not a paying supporter and you are already bashing a member, not a good start IMO.

Hi Oceanluvr,

I guess that either you don't know that these videos are on YouTube, or that you don't know that posting videos on YouTube is an invitation to comment. Meanwhile, I chose to express some views on making videos, and to provide a link, that raise some questions about some of what is said in this thread. So?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »
a pretty good definition of pointless.

A pretty good definition of pointless is shitting in someone's thread, n00b.

:+=copcar
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

redge

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 11:30:06 PM »
A pretty good definition of pointless is shitting in someone's thread, n00b.

:+=copcar

I haven't said anything to, or about, the original poster to this thread.

I have suggested that it is possible to make a really good video with a cell phone, such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYhM0XIIwU&app=desktop

Is saying that a problem?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:29:22 AM by redge »

Phil_P

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 02:36:12 AM »
 :+1 On the 'Contour' range. The shape allows you to tuck the camera in closer to your helmet than the 'gopro' shaped devices, and also if on the side they are perhaps a little less prone to getting smacked by low hanging branches. Some deals on the Contour include the waterproof housing if that matters. Mine has the mini GPS card that lets you track your ride.

A point that matters with ALL the HD cameras though, is make sure the video capabilities of your PC are up to displaying them. For ages I was convinced I had a dodgy camera, with pausing and skipping, but it was only the speed opf the PC not keeping up with the demands of HD playback that was causing the problem. A decent video card resolved that.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here