Author Topic: GoPro, Garmin or Other Action Cams ?  (Read 24400 times)

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
Re: GoPro, Garmin or Other Action Cams ?
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
My observations using a GoPro.

1)  Video quality is top notch
2)  Sound quality is marginal
3)  If you're not careful, the camera can rattle in the case
4)  There are a multitude of mounting options, limited only by your imagination
5)  They are incredibly tough and continue to work when dropped off bikes at speed, out of helicopters, off hot air balloons etc.
6)  They are an ugly wart on your helmet / bike and you will look a bit of a prat
7)  The GoPro codec isn't compatible with all video editing programs
8)  Some of the connector attachments are prone to vibration failure
9)  You WILL lose some of the little shiny nuts
10) GoPro IS the gold standard.  Virtually all action footage you see on TV is done with GoPros

Nick

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »
My observations using a GoPro.

1)  Video quality is top notch
2)  Sound quality is marginal
3)  If you're not careful, the camera can rattle in the case
4)  There are a multitude of mounting options, limited only by your imagination
5)  They are incredibly tough and continue to work when dropped off bikes at speed, out of helicopters, off hot air balloons etc.
6)  They are an ugly wart on your helmet / bike and you will look a bit of a prat
7)  The GoPro codec isn't compatible with all video editing programs
8)  Some of the connector attachments are prone to vibration failure
9)  You WILL lose some of the little shiny nuts
10) GoPro IS the gold standard.  Virtually all action footage you see on TV is done with GoPros

Nick

Nick, if you could do it over again, would you buy a GoPro or get something else?

oceanluvr

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 07:19:03 AM »
Why did you select that particular camera for purchase?

Ok, why did I select the Replay XD Mini, good question.  First of all I should tell you I am anal retentive and research the heck out things, before I make a purchase. Thanks internet!  After reading tons of reviews, clearly most reviewers give top marks to the GoPro. But then it gets a bit fuzzy with all the other players in the market.  I can point to numerous side by side videos comparing all the cameras, and even the GoPro, on some videos or reports is not as good or only equal to others.  I decided on the Replay for several reasons. Not least of which was how often will I use it!  I mean, how many videos of my bike ride, or my fishing adventures, or diving trips does anyone want to see?  For that reason alone I decided I did not need another $350+++ toy sitting in my drawer, after the newness wore off.  Plus buying the camera is only the initial cost, as there are lots of accessories, you will feel compelled to buy.I suspect that will be the same thing for most casual users.  At $145 for the entire Replay kit, which includes mounts, I thought why not?  Additionally, it is the smallest, at 2ozs, more aerodynamic than any of the others, except the Ion, which is still bigger and made out of aircraft aluminum; plus I did not have to buy an underwater housing for it.  Comparing the videos of others with this camera, i thought the ones done by people who knew what they are doing, looked pretty darn good.  However, I purchased mine through Amazon and can return it in 30 days, so i will keep playing with it and then determine if i keep it or upgrade.

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2014, 07:55:41 AM »
Nick, if you could do it over again, would you buy a GoPro or get something else?

That's a tough one.  I really like the aesthetics of the garmin units, but haven't been impressed with the video quality. I wish the GoPro had a gimble mounting system, but if I had an ounce of creativity, I could come up with something that would do the trick.  I haven't tried the latest versions of GoPro (mine is Hero2), but I hear the sound quality has been improved.  I'd probably do the same again.  Everything is a trade-off and I don't mind looking like a prat!

Nick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:07:52 PM by nick949 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2014, 07:55:41 AM »

Offline Damnyankee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
That's a tough one.  I really like the aesthetics of the garmin units, but haven't been impressed with the video quality. I with the GoPro had a gimble mounting system, but if I had an ounce of creativity, I could come up with something that would do the trick.  I haven't tried the latest versions of GoPro (mine is Hero2), but I hear the sound quality has been improved.  I'd probably do the same again.  Everything is a trade-off and I don't mind looking like a prat!

Nick

Nick, a couple of things about the GoPro audio. If you modify the case (Not the waterproof one), cut an opening where the mic is, get an external mic or get one of those fuzzy things that surround the camera, the audio would be much improved on the Hero 2. I have one and with the external mic..the sound is excellent and it does record in stereo.

I bought thisd mone and an additional case, modified the case so I could use the camera without taking it out of the case.

I'd buy another GoPro in a heartbeat ;-T

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
Nick, a couple of things about the GoPro audio. If you modify the case (Not the waterproof one), cut an opening where the mic is, get an external mic or get one of those fuzzy things that surround the camera, the audio would be much improved on the Hero 2. I have one and with the external mic..the sound is excellent and it does record in stereo.

I bought thisd mone and an additional case, modified the case so I could use the camera without taking it out of the case.

I'd buy another GoPro in a heartbeat ;-T

I did drill a hole in the side and bought a cheapo Chinese Sony repro mike.  So far I haven't noticed much difference in sound quality, but I haven't really experiemented much.  It sounds as though I should - thanks.

Nick

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »
I've noticed that video of the same thing gets monotonous after a few minutes.

That's always been the case.  One of my grandfathers commercially raised chickens in his retirement, lots and lots of chickens.

I remember when he bought an 8mm movie camera. He took what seemed to be hours and hours of home-made movies of his chickens running around in his several huge chicken houses. He would do us a big treat sometimes and show us movies. "Hey kids, you wanna see some movies?"

We would have to sit there for ages watching the same scenes of generic chickens running about with an occasional mug shot of my grandfather pointing to something like a new water dispenser or something.  He himself  loved it and would watch with great intensity. B O R I N G.

I've noticed the same "Chicken House" effect of some ride reports made with action cameras that go on and on of curve after curve of the same thing on and on. Not talking about you, Nick.

I think good video is like chrome- needs to be judicious and mixed with other visual images. A little bit goes a long way.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:00:45 PM by leafman60 »

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »
After playing around with this stuff for a while, I've come to the conclusion that there should be a 5 second rule.  That seems to be the optimum time for any single scene should be visible - or perhaps its the maximum attention span of any viewer.

I now use multiple cameras so that I have multiple views, then try to mix it up.  I also cheat.  Not all my footage is sequential and linear (or even from the same trip!). 

But beware - filming can start to take precedence over riding.  I find I'm stopping all the time to park the camera - ride by - collect the camera - reset it on the bike - strap if on my chest - attach it to the helmet - turn it on - turn it off - switch batteries - change SD cards  etc. etc.

And no matter what you do, you still don't have enough usable footage when you get home.

Some of my older stuff goes on waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too long to hold the viewers interest.  I know my stuff is still very 'home-made' and it shows, but I'm having a lot of fun trying to improve.

Nick

Offline Sack

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »
If anyone comes across a good deal on these cams for the Christmas season, please post.

I'm in the market.

I's like to see more comparisons of video quality.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw

Mat knows his stuff and compares camera models quite a lot. For raw footage not modified by YouTube go to: http://www.techmoan.com/

You'll see right away how much native video is. He concentrates on car cams because they are quite popular in the UK and the rest of Europe. I believe to help settle insurance claims. Take your time and watch the native footage included with each cam.
'08 Norge and (mint) 1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2014, 06:32:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw

Mat knows his stuff and compares camera models quite a lot. For raw footage not modified by YouTube go to: http://www.techmoan.com/

You'll see right away how much native video is. He concentrates on car cams because they are quite popular in the UK and the rest of Europe. I believe to help settle insurance claims. Take your time and watch the native footage included with each cam.

Okay, I'm going to watch it but what are your conclusions as to the best to buy?

Offline Sack

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »
Okay, I'm going to watch it but what are your conclusions as to the best to buy?

For me, the video quality available today is simply amazing. I do feel that the brands who push themselves to the top of their markets become household names and that's all many/most consumers want. So in that regard, no matter how good the GoPro models may be they have an advantage in the marketplace because of their name popularity.

Besides riding motorcycles I fly RC aircraft. That's how I came to see many of the lesser known brands and models. For me then, sticking a several hundred dollar camera on a craft that could possibly never be seen again is a tough pill to swallow. This is where cams like the Mobius amaze me. Their video is outstanding, they're aerodynamic enough to be easily used on my aircraft plus go almost unnoticed on a bike. I like those qualities and I like their price. So for me, cameras like the GoPro are too expensive and too large. Buy what tickles you.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Mobius-Action-Camera/dp/B00N6AWQ5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418393210&sr=8-1&keywords=mobius+camera

Dang, those things are so cheap and so small, is the video quality as good as the $500 cameras?

Offline Sack

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Mobius-Action-Camera/dp/B00N6AWQ5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418393210&sr=8-1&keywords=mobius+camera

Dang, those things are so cheap and so small, is the video quality as good as the $500 cameras?

That's just it, I think the sample videos I've seen speak very well for several of them. For my uses, plus the chance of losing one (or more),  I can swallow losing a sub-$100 camera, though I certainly don't want to. Their relative lack of frontal area makes them a great choice for RC and almost stealth on a bike or car, etc.

Here's a well done video using the Mobius on an FPV RC quadcopter.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm2saUt4wR8      and one waaaaay up high:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idfEOi3J1IA

..and one closer to the site topic here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvYnV_MUStw

Best price on the Mobius in the US that I've found:  http://us.banggood.com/wh_buy/Usa/Mobius.html

Penderic

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »
New semi pro camera on a quad setup  ... this is the latest commercial effort by the makers of the popular Phantom.

The DJI Inspire with a 4k HD stabilized camera. You can get real nice tracking shots with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYUrz8-JSJg

Chasing a Triumph! Teaser...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDt5TyHC4KU
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:55:06 PM by Penderic »

redrider

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »
Curious about run time and recharging-I use the VIO and get over 2 hours of continuous  run and recharge of the AA's takes less than an hour. I carry 2 spare battery sets and change out every 2 hours with no loss of data due to auto shutdown or power fail. Oh, Harbor Freight NiCd 2300mAH have been the most consistent and reliable.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »
The new version of the Drift Ghost seems to be getting a good rep.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »
I rushed out and bought a GoPro. This is literally the 2nd time I ever powered it up, first vid with zero practice. I'm very happy with it, although the software takes like 50Gigs of space to use in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umvg2Qj4ooA
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here