Author Topic: 2003 moto guzzi stone engine tapping  (Read 27949 times)

Offline Rico88

• New Egg
Re: 2003 moto guzzi stone engine tapping
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »
also I had a pressure test performed correctly which showed 150 psi on both sides, and a leak down of 6 percent on the left, and 9 percent on the right, if that helps any.

Vasco DG

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »
Dropping the sump for a looksee was rather the whole point. The crap, if there is any in there, and the milky substance which is probably mayonaise from water in the oil, won't just drain out.

Look, I'm really sorry that you're having these problems but there are no short cuts. It has to be done right otherwise you might as well not bother.

Pete

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2015, 07:44:21 PM »
If you have a copy of the instructions I'd be very grateful if you could send them to me. I'll try and get them into a format that is easily downloadable and can send it to Greg Bender or someone who can pop it up on his site for future refference.

Pete

I have a hard copy which I could scan and convert to pdf.  There's 53 pages, so might take a little while.

Yell if anyone wants me to do this.

Offline Rico88

• New Egg
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM »
Dropping the sump for a looksee was rather the whole point. The crap, if there is any in there, and the milky substance which is probably mayonaise from water in the oil, won't just drain out.

Look, I'm really sorry that you're having these problems but there are no short cuts. It has to be done right otherwise you might as well not bother.

Pete

So where would the water have come from is my question. I was just trying to change the oil to the proper oil so I could ride it to the shop confidently. I thought the oil was going to be reused.

If I tow it to a shop, get the sump dropped, everything cleaned, and the oil pump inspected. Does that address the how the water was getting in?
The only time I've seen oil with the milky substance before is in my jeep when the radiator went out and I blew a head, I had to get the head rebuilt and it cost me around $2k. I'm assuming that's not what is going on here, since there is no obvious signs of trouble other than the oil color. With my jeep it was overheating and running rough

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
One of the major by-products of combustion is water. There is always some blow-by past the rings so you get moisture in the cases. If you only do short trips or ride slowly in cold weather the moisture won't get expelled through the breather system and will settle out on the inside of the motor as it cools. Moisture from the atmosphere will also be drawn into the engine from outside as the engine cools down after a run and the gasses inside contract.

You can get to the oil pump easily enough without taking the sump off, it lives in the timing chest but since the whole point is to clean out any debris AND inspect the pump both sump and timing chest cover need to come off.

With your compression test figures? They still strike me as a tad low but if they are even they it's probably all good.

Pete

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2015, 01:08:17 AM »
If you have a copy of the instructions I'd be very grateful if you could send them to me. I'll try and get them into a format that is easily downloadable and can send it to Greg Bender or someone who can pop it up on his site for future refference.

Pete

I have those Pete, printed out on paper and courtesy of MPH. I'll scan them and send them over in the next day or two
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Vasco DG

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2015, 01:22:02 AM »
I've already got them in PDF format from another forum member. I'm going to ask Greg Bender if he'd be kind enough to host them on 'Thisoldtractor'

Pete

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2015, 04:36:00 AM »
OK
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Rico88

• New Egg
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »
Thanks everyone. I got everything re-cleaned, put new oil in Rotella T6. Got the pump inspected and it is said to be fine and have no signs of damage. The oil leak is fixed, and the exhaust leak is fixed, and the engine seems to ride Great! I Rode it today and was pretty Happy!.. Atleast until I got off of work and went out to find my front tire is now flat and wont hold air... But I am going to start a new thread on that one if anyone wants to chime in..
Sometimes you just have love-hate relationships... I love her even though she hates me.. Hopefully she will stop putting up a fight soon and just let me ride her like she is meant to be ridden..

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
 ;-T
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
Good grief.  It's a rescue.  She's not hating, she's just having a little hissy fit on account of the abuse.  You've looked upskirt now and know you can trust her, and She'll come to terms with you as her benevolent master.  Once you've got an understanding, it will be all right.

I've owned my favorite Guzzi since '78 and we still go 'round sometimes.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here