Author Topic: Mini Adv Bike. CSC Cyclone  (Read 10643 times)

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Mini Adv Bike. CSC Cyclone
« on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
Have any of you guys seen this? Small 250cc Adv Bike. Bags, lights and intimidating look. What do you guys think? Zongshen engine, apparently people say it's reliable.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/2014-csc-rx-3-adventure-tourer-preview.html
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline ItsForrest

• Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
  • Hatchling
Re: Mini Adv Bike. CSC Cyclone
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
Well, it has a "fashionable travel suitcase" as well as a "streamlined and humanized windshield." But really the clincher is the "handlebars with necking technology." I mean really, what more does a motorcycle need?

http://californiascooterco.com/csc_cyclone_rx-3.htm

The urge to buy terrorizes!

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
Good concept.  Bad origin.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
I'm sure some stuff is lost in translation. This place isn't too far from me. Maybe I can make a day trip and ride one if they end up over here.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Wildguzzi.com

Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »
That would be a big bike in China, for the most part they are limited to 125 or electric.
The old Chang Jiangs were 750cc but they are classed as sidecars.

Don't the Chinese make the BMW 800 cc bikes for export?
They can make some quality stuff if they put their mind to it.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:31:30 AM »
Don't the Chinese make the BMW 800 cc bikes for export?
They can make some quality stuff if they put their mind to it.

You can build to a price point or you can build quality. Seldom do the two cross. The Chinese are very capable of building world class items but we don't let them with the disposable society we live in.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:32:59 AM »
Its a great idea. An old friend of mine is in a "rebuilding year" and needed cheap transportation. His answer was to pick up a two year old Honda CBR250RA. It cost him $3K, the insurance is really low, and it gets 65mpg. The bike is big enough that he doesn't look funny riding it and it had less than 1000 miles on it!

Is a two year old Honda with low miles a better deal than a similar spec'd, but unproven bike with a miniscule dealer network at the same price? Hmmm...the luggage IS a big plus.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:40:58 AM »
I checked it out at the motorcycle show, it's not a bad looking bike. The luggage is a bit of a joke, 007 carried bigger luggage than this thing. It appeared to be well built but one would have to thrash it for a couple years to get a real feel for it.

Only one source for parts. Warranty work; send it back to them or they send you the parts for you or a local shop will install them. Not a show stopper for Guzzi owners, but for brand growth for these guys........
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
A fantastic concept that makes a lot of sense for international exploring-a 250 with a Chinese brand name will, I think, be better accepted in many areas of the world.

For the daily coffee crowd,not so much.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
It looked interesting so I checked the specs.  385 lbs and 25 hp isn't so great.  If it were 100 lbs lighter, it might be a fun bike.  By comparison, a Guzzi V50 is lighter and has almost double the power.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
50 hp on a V50? Uhh, probably not.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
27-30 hp probably more like it!  But still weighs a lot less.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
Is 385 lbs. the dry weight or wet/curb weight of the Cyclone? Dry weight for a V50 III is 335 lbs.
Charlie

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
Is 385 lbs. the dry weight or wet/curb weight of the Cyclone? Dry weight for a V50 III is 335 lbs.

Also consider the luggage. That has to account for 15 to 20 lbs.

It looked interesting so I checked the specs.  385 lbs and 25 hp isn't so great.  If it were 100 lbs lighter, it might be a fun bike.  By comparison, a Guzzi V50 is lighter and has almost double the power.

My 2012 V7R might get close to making 50hp with a re-flashed ECU and open exhaust. The only way the V50 could make 50HP is if you taped two of them together ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:46:07 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
thats a nifty little bike.  I was in a few places around Asia this fall, and there were a zillion small displacement bikes everywhere. Add to that eleventy million scooters.

I'm really wanting this little KTM number that's headed stateside in 2015 @ about $5,500.  There's a Duke version, and it'd be easy to imagine an ADV version, too.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
50 hp on a V50? Uhh, probably not.  ;D

The specs I found say 45hp for V50s.  I assume that's at the crankshaft.

For example: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/moto%20guzzi/moto_guzzi_v50%20ii%2079.htm
Maybe they're wrong?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:57:29 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

dilligaf

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
I have posted this before but, back in the day, I put close to 100K on an SL175 Honda.  I had to replace the cam once and I also had to replace the rings.. The motorcycle was used primarily for my work commute that was mostly Interstate.  I would also load up my son and our camping gear and head for the BRP.  Great little bike.  ;-T

My brother, who lives in Tampa, FL, also has been riding well over 50 years and a motorcycle is his primary transportation.  His opinion is anything over 200cc is a waste of cc's.  He recent purchased a Yamaha Majestic so he has backed away from that but complains about the poor gas mileage of the Majestic.  :o

Looks like the gas capacity is over 4 gallons and assuming 50+MPG that's a 200 mile range. It's not something one would care to be seen on riding to Starbucks but is something you would ride to Alaska(A 6 gallon tank  and a little less weight would be nice).  Not something I would purchase today but 20-30 years ago I would have been all over that.  ;D

The above is posted on the assumption the motorcycle cam make it out of the driveway without breaking down.   :BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »
You can build to a price point or you can build quality. Seldom do the two cross. The Chinese are very capable of building world class items but we don't let them with the disposable society we live in.

Or rather say we don't "encourage" them to build quality stuff to sell here.    We're perfectly happy with pot metal tat, if it's cheap enough.   

This would be a neat little bike if the metallurgy and assembly quality is good.   They're right about a 250cc bike being all you "need" to get across a rough part of the world ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »
I was googling more stuff on Zongshen and came across this
 http://www.piaggio.com.cn/en/Piaggio.php looks like Piaggio and Zongshen have a partnership. There you have it. It could end up being a new mini Stelvio.

it also just passed it's EPA testing. Good for the 49 normal states. Still waiting on the land of fruits and nuts to approve it.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »
It looks like an interesting little bike.

I wonder how reliable the engine is going to be. It sounds like they've had good luck with it so far and their engines are already all over the world. The main gripe I have with the chinese is that they CAN make reliable things, but when they do it's usually heavy and overbuilt. I have yet to see the chinese make something that is a thoroughly modern, minimalist design that is still reliable. They have to get there someday if they want to ever be a serious contender in the world, maybe now is the time...

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 02:24:14 PM »
Selling a used one of those could be challenging.

"Zongshen what???"

Nice concept none the less.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »
Only a hop and a skip from India to China. Another small displacement Harley?   ;D :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »
Only a hop and a skip from India to China. Another small displacement Harley?   ;D :BEER:

Like the Sinnis Heist 250 :D

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »
So I rode the Guzzi to their shop today, about 70 miles or so, hour and some change on the freeway. Met the owner, Steve I believe. He let me look over the bike and answered my questions, then let me take for a spin. Real nice man, real nice setup he has there. The bike was nice. I was very much impressed. It's incredibly well made, doesn't look or feel like junk at all.

Little background on me, been riding about 5-6 years now, only street bikes. Take it for what it's worth. my experience is mainly cruisers, owned 2 Guzzi's, ridden a bunch of Harleys, few sport bikes, honda cbr600, gsxr 750, nothing too crazy. The most comparable bike I've ridden to this is a WR250R supermoto'd out.

The RX3 seating is just right. The triangle felt great. Legs right below you, bars right where they need to be. The WRR felt tall for me, dunno why. I'm 5'11 190lbs 34in inseam. This bike fit me, I didn't feel cramped. Hell, I felt more cramped on my Goose than on this.

The gauges are nice. Fuel, gear indicator, speed, RPM, everything is right there. Easy. The WRR I rode was a 2009 model, it didn't seem as hi tech as this thing. And it sure felt more plastic-y than the RX3. 

LED running lights, regular hi-lo beam, led turn signals, led brake lights, really nice stuff.

It's not fast, but you guys already knew that. It will keep up with traffic for sure, I hit an indicated 76mph and there was still some throttle left over. I'm sure it will hit a true 75. Sure it could be fixed with sprockets or whatever you guys want. I liked it the way it was. I enjoyed the lightness of it, very easy to maneuver. The only issue I had was the grabby clutch, the friction zone didn't seem right. Snappy, you know? Other than that, a real joy.

I only did a few miles on it, but I can definetly see this coming into my garage in the future. It spoke to me.

Here's some pics.

The one I rode, yellow ish.

Right saddle bag, small, fit a waterbottle or something. Not much else.

Trunk is big enough to fit a FF helmet, just won't close, if that's any indication to size. Not bad.

Here's some engine bits. Looks good.

Where the center stand hooks up.

Two piece crash bar, solid, plenty of places to attach your farkles

More lights

Tourfella top box looks well made, felt good and strong. I've owned hepco-becker luggage and this seems about 85% at least as good.

Only issue.was clearance opening the left lid, a spacer could fix that easy.

Just offset the left bag a bit more, maybe half inch or so, it'll be perfect.

there you have it.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 05:34:40 PM »
Oh and for the heavy weight babies. This yellow one as it sits with fuel in the tanks comes in about 385lbs they say. Not bad.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
The factory makes a couple of different 250cc V-twin engines, too, mostly for mini-cruisers but it's fun to think about a cheap Morini replica.

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here