Author Topic: GUZZISTAS IN MONTANA?  (Read 11037 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
GUZZISTAS IN MONTANA?
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »
Think I asked before, but I'm still looking...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Bill Hagan

Re: GUZZISTAS IN MONTANA?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »

Cam Lay is in Helena ... well, in the boonies around it somewhere.   ;)

Actually, Cam has defected to Krautrads as he now rides a R1200RT.

But his wife rides a V11 LeMans.

Bill

Offline motoguzzibill

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Hi Spuddy,
  Nice to know others are out there. I've been in Laurel for the past 30 years but will be moving into Billings in the next few months. I've had/ridden Guzzi's for the last 15 years or so and currently have a V11 Sport, Norge, and Eldorado. Also enjoy/have Ducati, Triumph and BSA's. Met and rode with Jon B. some years ago but haven't seen him in many years. Only other Guzzi rider I know is Justin in Missoula, who has a Mille, but mainly rides a Triumph Tiger.

Look forward to meeting you if and when the snow melts.
Bill N.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »
Hey Spuddy, Gar Jorgensen  bought a Norge from me.  Gar winters in California but really lives in Buffalo WY.  Great guy and he loves the Norge.

Peter Y.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:01:34 PM by pyoungbl »
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
I'll be riding across at the end of May.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
I started a thread like this last summer before my trip to Helena. I got a guy named spuddy ;D
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
I started a thread like this last summer before my trip to Helena. I got a guy named spuddy

Sounds like a cool dude - I'd like to meet him.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
Sounds like a cool dude - I'd like to meet him.

A guy named after a potato?   Bet he has a hard time getting a date ...  ;)   :D
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »
Won't be long.. I had been planning a move to Missoula last year but the girl MUST be near the family 'we' have decided... Helena it shall be.. I should be back by summer.

I lived in Greenough (at the 'big cow' on MT200) for a bit a few years back when I was Chef of a resort between the Blackfoot & the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Looking forward to getting back, but will deff miss Asheville!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline moltoguzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:00:37 PM »
Won't be long.. I had been planning a move to Missoula last year but the girl MUST be near the family 'we' have decided... Helena it shall be.. I should be back by summer.

I lived in Greenough (at the 'big cow' on MT200) for a bit a few years back when I was Chef of a resort between the Blackfoot & the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Looking forward to getting back, but will deff miss Asheville!
Why Missuola and why leaving Ashville. My retirement is getting close and I've narrowed it down to the mountains of NH, the Ozarks, Blue Ridge and Montana. So I'm very interested in other people opinions that have actually lived in those areas. Mucho grazies, molto grazie, thanks.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
Why Missuola and why leaving Ashville. My retirement is getting close and I've narrowed it down to the mountains of NH, the Ozarks, Blue Ridge and Montana. So I'm very interested in other people opinions that have actually lived in those areas. Mucho grazies, molto grazie, thanks.

I would never leave Asheville in a million years if it wasn't for a woman. This is truly the best place on earth to me.

I can't imagine retiring to Montana? Who is going to shovel your snow & carry in groceries in the 50mph winds? Who is going to maintain your house that basically gets pounded into oblivion 4 months a year and takes most of the summer to get it back winter-proofed?

There is no reason to live there unless

1. You are an AVID fly fisher, elk hunter, snowmobile rider or xc skier

2. Your family lives there and you MUST be near them

3. You like week-long strings of subzero temps, cleaning snow off your vehicles, short riding season

And remember, you are getting this feedback from someone who loves MT and is moving back there :thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »

3. You like week-long strings of subzero temps, cleaning snow off your vehicles, short riding season

4.  You are the superintendent of the Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historical Site (like my cousin is)

5.  You are an inmate of the penitentiary in Deer Lodge (in which case you don't generally have to shovel snow and someone else feeds you.

Otherwise, there's lots of reasons why it's so empty and wide-open ..... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »

I can definitely see looking back towards Asheville, but I am looking forward to your BBQ.

Gimme a call (if you can tolerate someone 169% your age) I can give you the lay of the land.

Paul 'Spuddy' Smietanka
406-431-0830

'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »
Montana is a wonderful place to visit, But I'd rather live in the Ozarks. I wouldn't want to deal with the winter in big sky country.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
Yo Spuddy I'm sure I'll have to bust out a boston butt or two immediately upon arrival! The folks will require it I'm sure!

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
Missoula is a nice college town but have never been there in the Winter. Can't be worse than Duluth Minnesota. Dog friendly too. :D

It's up there for my retirement village. Low population density is a GOOD thing in my book. More people than deer and we have too many deer.  :pop

I grew up in the south eastern part of the state, the area that is hard to appreciate unless you grew up there. They do need to get a handle on DUI, still treated with a soft hand and not taken that seriously. If you hate winters, it will be a poor choice, on the other hand, it tends to weed out the wimps. :)

Several years ago there was a Guzzi owner in Livingston, but I know this as he was selling a couple bikes on here so maybe he is out of the game now.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
     You would think there would be a few Guzzis around Columbia Fall where there used to be an actual Dealer.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 08:54:53 AM »
I dunno if its saying much, but Helena winters are generally a lot easier than Chicago's.  And when it does get cold, it's regularly broken up by a chinook in 2-3 weeks.

Inversions are not that common in Helena as the east slope winds usually blow out the weather after about a week.

You used to be able to push towards 8 months of riding but the cold and wet springs [climate change - whatever the cause] of late, are dampening that.  Suppose my age is softening me up too. 

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
Helena is nice but I prefer Missoula; probably because of the river that goes right through town. Just seems nicer too.

Livingston has some attraction as well as White Sulphur Springs; although it can look a bit rough. :)
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »

Not Montana......but right next door in N Idaho

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

hammick

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »
We own property in MT between Red Lodge and Belfry.  It is very remote and has no power available.

Any of your guys in the business of building pole barns or garages?

I can't see spending an entire winter in MT but we have fallen in love with the state and we try to get there as often as we can.

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »
LOL.  I lived in Coeur d'Alene, too.  I guess the white supremacists have moved in north of there (Sandpoint, Hayden Lake).

No, honestly we ran that group out of town on a rail....actually good lawyers (what?) and I'm even farther north than Sandpoint....30 miles to the Canadian border where incidentally we do most of our riding.
I know the Justin in Missoula....we were MSF coaches together. I get to Kalispell all the time in the summer and there is nothing like the ride through Glacier Park on US 2. Yea, it's a little cool in the winter (-15 here 2 weeks ago) but I still manage to ride about 8 months of the year (heated gear). Best thing about Montana is the 70 mph speed limit, even on small 2 lanes, and the absolute lack of traffic. I have ridden the road over the Yaak, for 40 miles without seeing 1 car.  makes it all worth while.
I also act as a tour guide for any stray Guzzis.   ;-T ;-T ;-T

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline moltoguzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
I would never leave Asheville in a million years if it wasn't for a woman. This is truly the best place on earth to me.

I can't imagine retiring to Montana? Who is going to shovel your snow & carry in groceries in the 50mph winds? Who is going to maintain your house that basically gets pounded into oblivion 4 months a year and takes most of the summer to get it back winter-proofed?

And remember, you are getting this feedback from someone who loves MT and is moving back there :thumb

Thanks! It seems people that live in the Ashville area are very happy living there, I quite a few others say the same.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Honestly it blows my mind there was a Guzzi Dealer in Columbia Falls??????  that is so weird.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »
Honestly it blows my mind there was a Guzzi Dealer in Columbia Falls?Huh??  that is so weird.

Long time ago...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline idahorider

• Gosling
  • pmitchellemerson@gmail.com
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »
Joe Erickson of Great Falls is a regular at the Broken Arrow Rendezvous each summer at Gibbonsville,ID. Real nice guy.
Paul Emerson
Clarkston, WA

2006 B1100
1983 R100RT

Offline Cam Lay

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
When the Goddess and I first came out here (Helena) for job interviews, we were struck by two things immediately: unlocked bicycles in the front yards, and small children running around the neighborhoods without hovering parents. 

This morning my hat fell out of the car when I dropped my son off at the high school. I didn't noticed because it was dark. When I got to work I seriously considered not even going back for a look - it had been 10 minutes, another hundred kids had been dropped off. I figured some kid had a new hat, or it was pulped in the gutter.

There are two trash cans where I drop off the kids. One was covered in snow, and the other had been brushed clean. And there sat my hat, perfectly clean and dry.

This is not the place for you if you don't like snow and cool temperatures. Helena just doesn't seem to support much variety in restaurants, either, though there are two good breweries with attached pubs. It's the state capitol, so you're going to deal with NGOs, legislative hangers on, lobbyists and assorted axe-grinders.

If you think "diversity" means a bunch of people of different skin tones sitting around discussing how great their progressive ideas are, there ain't a lot of diversity here. If you want to see everything from Hutterites to hippies, Indians to androgynes, spend an hour at the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning.

And nobody much cares. There's a strong small-l libertarian streak here. You leave people alone to live their lives as they see fit and they'll pretty much extend you the same courtesy. State government is small and solvent, and most things are done fee-for service.

The flip side of that is that there is less of a safety net than you may be used to, there aren't as many public services (some of that is simply a tax-base argument; with barely a million people, you don't light rail), and if you need complex medical care you're going to Seattle or Salt Lake City.

We like it here a lot. Many people don't. Your mileage may vary.

Take care,
C

Biology is destiny.  Culture is ecology.  Most things are beetles.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
One odd Helena fact.. Gotta be the lowest rate of pet-friendly landlords on earth. I've been looking for 2 weeks with terrible luck

Offline Cam Lay

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
That surprises me. My impression is that it's very dog-freindly here. It's not uncommon to see people bringing their dogs into stores. The Goddess brought the Anxiety Hound into the airport, in fact, to meet me when I got back from Christmas. And the boy and I took him to the farm and ranch store and to the local hardware store Sunday, where the clerk gave him a crunchie-bit and complimented him on his fine manners.

Craigslist has quite a few that show up as "dogs OK." We rented for a year when we moved here, and spent a lot of time looking at real estate. If I can help feel free to email me.

One odd Helena fact.. Gotta be the lowest rate of pet-friendly landlords on earth. I've been looking for 2 weeks with terrible luck

Biology is destiny.  Culture is ecology.  Most things are beetles.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 11:58:09 PM »
My SP winters in the Sandpoint area, if that counts.  I have spent a fair amount of time there also. ;-T BUT not winters.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here