Author Topic: Car Buying Advice (NGC)  (Read 14197 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Car Buying Advice (NGC)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
New Mustang ,300hp, 30 mpg highway, not a hatch but a lot of fun for the coin! 

Especially a convertible!   ;-T

Cue the classic image of cruising PCH down to San Luis Obispo.   :BEER:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
Re:
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 01:27:41 AM »
If you're buying new, and only putting 3k on a year, any car sold in the US is going to be reliable for YEARS...

Late-model VWs should go 50-100k AT LEAST without something major.

If you like the Golf.... Get a Golf.

We have a 2004 VW Golf with 165000 miles om it and it is still going strong. It has some minor things go wrong but the engine uses no oil and the auto transmission stills feels like new. I agree with Kev get a Golf they are solid cars.
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 09:59:09 AM »
My vote: Mini Cooper. We love the hell outa ours. We got the Clubman for the faux rear door and the barn door tail but they are discontinuing this model for a proper four door.

Been great on road trips - lots and lots of fun to drive.
Weird gauges and controls - rather counter or at least very non-intuitive... Odd for krauts but there you go these days.
We're very happy with how we've been treated by the dealer but we use the Penske anchored dealer and they alone may be outstanding as I've heard tales of dread from other BMW based dealer experiences.
We bought the "Sport" or "S" but will be test driving the non "S" next time. I/we love the power but it has old school turbo-lag and the "S" comes with run-flats rather than a spare tire.
Cool little car and while as cute as wet foal, it's not the emasculating fem-atic cute of a VW Sheetle with its bud vase.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re:
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »
If you're buying new, and only putting 3k on a year, any car sold in the US is going to be reliable for YEARS...

Late-model VWs should go 50-100k AT LEAST without something major.

If you like the Golf.... Get a Golf.

;-T With a manual transmission.  ;)
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

Re:
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
I had an '03 VW Golf GTI VR6, 6-speed - Lots of fun, I still miss it. I leased, and the car was so much fun to drive that I went way past my mileage. I decided to not keep it at the end of the lease, but I wish I would have. I still miss that car - I have also driven a newer TDI golf diesel when I was out of the country (it was my rental for a week) - I think it was an '05, and that was great as well.

The only thing that ever went wrong with my '03 during the 5 years I had it, was some sort of clutch plunger and that was replaced under warranty during the lease, but I don't recall what part it was exactly - Either way, it seemed like an easy fix.

Used cars is also the way to go for me too.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »
My vote: Mini Cooper. We love the hell outa ours. We got the Clubman for the faux rear door and the barn door tail 

The Mini Cooper Clubman is a fun, cool car that might meet the OP's requirements.   ;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 11:10:39 AM »
I have a '12 Mazda3 Touring Hatch and it's a truly versatile vehicle.  As someone said above I doubt you need the mpg performance but you might be interested in the utilitarian aspects for such a compact car.  It's not tow rated but I pull my utility trailer and that combo is pretty unbeatable.

As for mpg performance I'm getting an average 34.6mpg with a 41mph average speed while running 87 Octane gas.  At $1.84 gal I doubt I can beat that with any vehicle that can tow a small trailer and fit 3 adults comfortably for a 3 hour ride.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »
I went through all this last summer.  I was looking for a hot hatch.  The VW is great handler but expensive and I am afraid of the reliability.  The Focus and Fiesta just didn't turn my crank and the sport models are expensive.  I really liked the Kia Forte Turbo hatch but just couldn't deal with the dealer.  My sons have had Mazda hatches and they are pretty nice but I couldn't get a stick & sunroof, the dealer wasn't interested.

In the end I got a '14 Accord EX/stick 4 cyl which was the best option and cheaper than all but the smallest / cheapest hatches.  This model has had a few rattles but has been a comfy, economical, sporty and this one has some unexpected power.

I think you have to make some hard justifications to spend less money or money on a car than an Accord for a family car.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
OP here, I want to thank everyone for your ideas, including the Cadillac CTS :+=copcar. Seems to fit  that Guzzi owners are in the market for stick shift hatches which every other American runs away from the buy some jacked up hatch/wagon called a CUV.  I am going test driving next week and will report back once I get some seat time. Not sure about the Mini, have rented them and just did not like the high doors and closed up feeling.  My neighbor has been waiting for three months to get side rear glass window for her Mini Cooper S, German parts via the UK....Thanks again, looks like Golf, Fiesta, Mazda 2/3, Fit, and Nissan Versa Note are on the list now.

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
FWIW I have a friend who works at a multi - multi huge dealership near me. He says the one car model they sell that is in the shop more than any other brand, and he says by far, is VW. The earlier models were much better, but the newer ones need repair a lot.
And speaking of VW, they have a diesel model that gets over 80mpg that is not allowed to be sold in the USA. So much for competition.  
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
OP here, I want to thank everyone for your ideas, including the Cadillac CTS :+=copcar. Seems to fit  that Guzzi owners are in the market for stick shift hatches which every other American runs away from the buy some jacked up hatch/wagon called a CUV.  I am going test driving next week and will report back once I get some seat time. Not sure about the Mini, have rented them and just did not like the high doors and closed up feeling.  My neighbor has been waiting for three months to get side rear glass window for her Mini Cooper S, German parts via the UK....Thanks again, looks like Golf, Fiesta, Mazda 2/3, Fit, and Nissan Versa Note are on the list now.

you might look at the Kia Forte Turbo hatch.  really.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 05:24:04 AM »
"Small 5 door hatch."

What about an Impreza?

You said you liked the Prius. Just ready for something different?

John Henry

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:20 AM »
"Small 5 door hatch."

What about an Impreza?

You said you liked the Prius. Just ready for something different?

John Henry

I've got three hatches- '12 Mazda3 (70k), '07 Fit Sport (90k), and an '06 Saab 9-2x (Impreza wagon and 80k).  Ok so the Mazda has a lot advantages with being newer but my brother had the '05 Hatch and I can say without a doubt the Mazda is the best of the lot.  The Saaburu is just so quirky and at 80k miles has had more issues than than the other two.  Throwing misfire codes on the back cylinders, torque-bind on the drive train, and leaks are the most memorable.    The Fit doesn't give me fits but it's not near as practicable for hauling or moving stuff around as the other two and Kim's Bimmer gets better all around mpg.

Don't know anything about the Korean hatches but the Mazda is really hard to beat.  Kim' off to the furniture store this morning and I'm sure I'll be pulling a heavy piece of something out of the back when I get home.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »
I really can't believe that no one suggested a Rolls Phantom Drophead Coupe. ???
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2015, 08:44:21 AM »
Easy,
Low mileage, late model c-6, babied,hatchback, 31mpg hwy, 27 in town, fun to drive, most comfortable car I have owned. Sporty too.

Doh, c-6 corvette.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »
I'm gonna a wee bit outside the box here and have you check out a late model Ford Flex. With the normal 3.5L engine it will touch 30mpg on the freeway. She is a bigger car, three rows of seats (keep the back ones folded if you don't need 'em). They ride VERY nice and was my first choice (ended up with my second choice, a Ford F150 - it's a long story) when I recently traded in the Edge (best damn car I've ever owned, almost as nice as the Flex in ride, sits a bit higher; hell, check out the Edge too!).
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 10:49:18 AM »
I'm going to say it again... with the amount of miles you drive, GET WHATEVER YOU WANT. It's NOT GOING TO BREAK for MANY MANY years and miles.

Get a Fiat or an Alfa if it makes you happy.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »
I'm going to say it again... with the amount of miles you drive, GET WHATEVER YOU WANT. It's NOT GOING TO BREAK for MANY MANY years and miles.

Get a Fiat or an Alfa if it makes you happy.

:+1

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline VonNostrand

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »
I'd stay away from the Nissan, if I were you. Any of the models below the Maxima have less than great build quality.
They're just not in the same league as the other Japanese manufacturers. The Versa has been panned repeatedly.
Almost any of it's competitors would be a better choice.

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »
OP Here, seems to be a fair amount of Mazda love here, will move it up my list.  Some anecdotal VW concerns.  Love the C6 idea, but need to seat 4, and remember this will be our only car.  Regarding low miles and MPG concerns, wife is a bit of a tree huger so no sense in barking up that tree, besides coming off a Prius anything is going to seem like a muscle car. You Subie lovers, I get it, but I developed an allergy to snow ice and window scarping in 82 when I left Colorado for San Francisco,  when the great two lane passes in the Sierras close for the winter, I just don't head for those hills.  Again moving Mazda 2/3up the list, test drives next week. I rented a 500L in Italy for about 3 hours this fall, about the worst thing I have ever driven.  One good idea is to rent, will do when I get serious.  I have to say I have rented some  very high mileage Chevy Cruize 45-50k and very impressed by the how they held together, but we don't get the hatchback.....

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2015, 06:27:09 AM »
I don't blame you a bit getting away from the white stuff! OTOH, you don't HAVE to live in an area like mine to justify owning a Scooby. It is still an economical vehicle to own and operate, and a fair bit of room for stuff.

In any event, you need to get something you'll be happy with, regardless of what it is. Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself every time you have to drive anyplace.

I noticed reference made to rentals. I'm not sure if you were thinking of renting when needed, or renting the vehicles you may have narrowed your choices down to for a week or so in order to evaluate them. (The latter being a thought of mine. Sometimes it is hard to make a choice based on a test drive.)

Cheers,
John Henry

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
I seriously love Scoobies, and the AWD is good for handling all the time, especially in rain. BUT if you're not getting a turbo model and not driving in snow ever, then it does come at a cost of economy that might not be worth it.

I'll add to the positive Mazda anecdotal stories. I've got a bud who is a parts manager at a Mazda/BMW dealership who had Mazdas as their personal drivers because he is impressed by them mechanically.

I would quite possibly still get the VW for other reasons.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »
you will be able to narrow your search when you test drive the cars you are interested in.
Some cars just don't fit. Some cars are not fun to drive.
You will know it when you have found "the" car for you.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here