Author Topic: tire irons/spoons  (Read 12398 times)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
tire irons/spoons
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
I am looking to buy a set on hand tools to change tires at home and in case on the side of the road .

I see there are different shape or irons , some are "spoon shaped" some dont' which one would you recommend to get ?

I understand that the longer irons work better than the short one .
I need to get also something to break the bead ( like a c clamp )

I need to get rim protectors ( plenty on the market thats not a problem )

Suggestion / advice highly appreciated it .

Thanks and sorry if for someone this feels like an "oil thread" lol
Marco

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
Re: tire irons/spoons
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »
For rim protectors, an old piece of garden hose slit lenghtwise will work.  Tres thrifty.

What to carry will depend on whether you've got tube type or tubeless tires.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:56:17 AM by cloudbase »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »
I'll be watching this thread.
Perhaps anything else that's required for a roadside repair like valve removal tool.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
Since you say side of the road, then I assume you have tube tires.  For tubeless I carry the compressor and some gummy worms, no spoons.  Extra schraeder valves.

When I ran tubes I carried the cheap irons from Cycle Gear (four of them, in case one broke or bent, and they came in pairs).  Cclamp for busting bead.  WD40 and NAPA tire lube (in smaller containers).  My rims I don't worry about.  They are scratched up enough so a few more don't make any difference.  Spare tube and rim strip if for spoked wheels. 

You can go  lighter and more 'elegant'.  There are spoons with an axle wrench on one end.  Get one for the pinch bolts  and you're all set.  Also bead breakers that come apart and serve as tire irons.  etc.  etc.

Air compressor.  Get a good one.  Takes a long time to fill up a tire from empty.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »
     These work for me. I use 2 of the 16 inch ones. The little lip on the ends really helps not to slip off and scratch your rim.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/16__steel_tire_iron/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:42:24 PM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
tube wheels .
spokes wheel

Gonna carry a spare tube.
rim strip
I like the water hose trick as rim protector .
C clamp
4 , 16" inches long tire iron.
tire lube
small compressor to hook up to the battery ? ( i don't have those fancy outlet plug in my bike. )
How about those C02 cylinders ? how many for inflate a 130/18 inches wheel ?

thanks

Just to make a laugh , i found these on the web and made me smile....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/bead-breaker/motorcycle-tire-bead-breaker.htm

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:45:51 PM by arveno »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 01:53:33 PM »
 For the actual work, bigger is better.  You may also want a small device that clamps onto the rim to keep tha bead from following your irons around the rim.  It only takes up about a cubic inch of space in your kit.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 02:01:06 PM »
Are you going to change tires on 18 wheelers with that 16" bar? Three 8" spoons/iron are all you need. If you forcing the tire on or off the rim your doing something wrong. It's very easy to tear a tire one you start adding leverage. If you tear the tire your done.

Plastic rectangles 3x4ish of orange juice or laundry detergent bottles also work great for rim protectors. Simply bend a lip on them and hook over the rim.

Sometimes a 4th tire iron is nice along with a piece of string. When starting to install the second side of the tire over the wheel push the tire bead over the rim in one spot Then put and iron under the rim and over the tire. Iron points away from the rim. Now take a piece of string and tie it to the free side of the lever, wrap around under the tire and tie it to a spoke or better yet the hub. This will keep the bead from walking when trying to lever the tire over the rim.

3 to 5 CO2 cylinders for a tubed tires and an infinite amount for tubed. Take a a look at the stop and go bead breaker as an option. Also carry patches and glue. A new pinched tube will leak just as nicely as the old leaky tube you are trying to replace.

Unless you change your own tires I suggest you find an old rim, tube and tire and practice to get a feel for it. learning how to fix a flat in a controlled enviornment will pay dividends if you ever have to ply your newly aquired skill while out and about.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:03:10 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
If using tubed tires, would products such as Slime work in a pinch? I know the tube would be shot at that point with that stuff in it, but maybe it will get you home?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »
Depends on the size and type of hole.  I had one leak that it worked well.  If you get something like a nail, and it has a chance to tear the tube even a little bit, then no.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

dilligaf

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
    These work for me. I use 2 of the 16 inch ones. The little lip on the ends really helps not to slip off and scratch your rim.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/16__steel_tire_iron/

Me too.  I carry four. I've used them at home and I know they work.  I've carried them for thousands of miles. Wouldn't leave home without them.  Never know, may need them one day.  Came close the other day.  Found a nail when I got home from a two week ride.  No idea how long it had been in the tire(tube type).  Went flat when I pulled it out.  I purchased my rim protectors however I have use soda bottle cut to fit and they work. I carry dish washing soap with my camping gear and, if I ever need it, would use it for bead lubricant.  I also carry a bicycle hand pump. Never used that either but, maybe one day. I have pumped up bicycle tires with it and I hope I never have to pump up a motorcycle tire.   Going to take a lot of pumping. I also carry tire patches, never used them but I carry them and I suspect I will find the glue dried up should I try. I also carry a spare tube.    The most useful tools I have found to date  is a cell phone and a AAA card. Work great. Breaking the bead at home is hard enough so good luck on the road.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
the best tire iron I have is an Italian made one given, not sold, to me by Freddie Marsh in Warehouse Pt CT.
I had stopped by to buy a tire iron but he did not have any in stcok so he went into the shop and took one out of the tool box and gave it to me. he said he could not charge me for it as it was used
he promised to add the price of the tire iron to my next purchase but he never did
do you remember Freddie Marsh?  http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=222

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »
I use Motion-Pro irons and I never use one longer than 11" long.  Here's why: with too much leverage its possible to bend the flange of your rim. I promise you that this creates bad wobbles if it happens on your front wheel (don't ask me how I know). Take small bites, don't get in a hurry, and use mounting lube (aerosol detail spray works great if you're on the road).

You can use your side stand for breaking the tire bead. It works like a charm.

I use a Viair 70P 12 volt compressor for mobile tire repairs. As a matter of fact, a compressor and a bottle of Slime is a nifty kit for repairing simple tube-type punctures. You can leave the wheel in place! If you need to remove a tire out on the road, you'll need a compressor to get your tire to seat (this typically requires 50 psi, or so). That Viair unit is sorta big, but it's packaged well and will operate when you need it.

It can be a pain to get a tube's valve through the hole in the rim. There are several tools on that Motion Pro site that will make the job more tolerable.

Don't trust a patch on a tube of you don't have to. A front tire tube will work in the rear tire in a pinch.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:50:46 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 05:18:32 PM »
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

makarushka

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:23 PM »
This one is great... 17.5" inches gives plenty of leverage, sturdy as hell, nicely rounded spoon. Doubles up as a good prybar, too.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 05:53:15 PM »
The trick lightweight off road "tar arns" that Aerostitch sells look good , however owning a set of the BMW toolkit set has sufficed me for years .

Dusty

I have a set of the Aerostich irons and while light I would still bring along a set of cheap long levers.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
For rim protectors, an old piece of garden hose slit lenghtwise will work.

Thanks for that idea.  I have plenty of old garden hose for that, so now I can quit wrapping my irons with electrical tape.   :)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 06:35:14 PM »
I have a set of the Aerostich irons and while light I would still bring along a set of cheap long levers.

Same here. My wife bought me the expensive and small Aerostitch irons. Convenient to carry, but small and expensive. I wouldn't use them at home normally.

Note the tool in front of the rim for this roadside tire repair. That tool will break the bead, push the tire off the rim, push the new tire on the rim. And is isn't horribly large when disassembled. I bought it years ago and used it at home for dozens and dozens of tire changes. I now carry it in my camper, luckily for me. TireWizard. No longer in production.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:38:32 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »
Perazzimx14, Sir, this sounds very interesting, but I cant tell exactly how you do it.... Ive never been good at explanations like this,If its not too much trouble, do you have a pic, or a diagram you can post to show how the technique works? Thanks
Rick.

***Explanation :
Sometimes a 4th tire iron is nice along with a piece of string. When starting to install the second side of the tire over the wheel push the tire bead over the rim in one spot Then put and iron under the rim and over the tire. Iron points away from the rim. Now take a piece of string and tie it to the free side of the lever, wrap around under the tire and tie it to a spoke or better yet the hub. This will keep the bead from walking when trying to lever the tire over the rim.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »
Well , thank you all for your comment.... i have two sets of tires to change so i can practice at home, will post the result later...

Offline DaGoose

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
Take a look at Stubby Tire Tools. Better than irons.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/stubby-tire-tools/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:41:19 PM by DaGoose »
Say a prayer to the G-ds of adhesion and all ways trust your cape!

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 12:30:01 AM »
I bought everything at Harbor Freight. C clamp and tire irons. I tried tire lube, wasn't working for me. However, baby powder did. So I don't know. I used a bike pump to pump up my tires. My valve cover caps have the valve removal tool built right in, however a nicer one is available at autozone for like 2 bucks.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 04:47:54 AM »
Perazzimx14, Sir, this sounds very interesting, but I cant tell exactly how you do it.... Ive never been good at explanations like this,If its not too much trouble, do you have a pic, or a diagram you can post to show how the technique works? Thanks
Rick.

***Explanation :

As it turns out I received my new to me DR650 wheels yesterday that I need to remove the tires so I can do a mock up and snap a pic later today or tomorrow.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »
  Proper way to get a tire changed.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »
She's not dirty enough. I can't buy that the picture is legit and not posed. I know my face wasn't smiles.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:08 PM »
Jim just loves that picture.  I don't blame him  :D  :D  :D
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »
  What makes Semper Guzzi think she's not dirty?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 11:02:49 PM »
  Proper way to get a tire changed.

Some tools have pretty high maintenance requirements.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
I have an almost new c clamp style bead breaker for free if someone wants it. Pay shipping. It's heavy...
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 12:45:28 PM »
I have an almost new c clamp style bead breaker for free if someone wants it. Pay shipping. It's heavy...

If you zip tied it to mine, they'd make an admirable boat anchor.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here