Author Topic: Speaking of Movie reviews  (Read 3419 times)

Joe A.

Speaking of Movie reviews
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:34 AM »
I've been paying for Netflix for a year, never used it. Don't really watch TV except for news and Letterman. Anyway, some good musician documentaries and a Motorcycle movie I enjoyed this cold winter weekend. I'm sure a lot of you have seen these, but this is for late bloomers like myself 8)

Beware of Mr. Baker - Ginger Baker was an intense individual to say the least. Born to Drum.

Ain't In It For My Health - Levon Helm. One of my life time favorites and a guy you just wished you could hang with.

The World's Fastest Indian - Self explanatory. Well discussed here on previous threads, but damn, what a movie!

My wife and I are just now beginning to watch Breaking Bad and the Blacklist. both very entertaining.

Hope this helps your winter go by. I just hope I don't get to used to this damn tv thing!!

P.S. what I really enjoy is watching Youtube vids on my large flat screen and sound system!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:48:45 AM by Joe A. »

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Speaking of Movie reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:20:06 AM »
A few years ago and being to cheap to pay for a sound system I "upgraded" to wireless headphones.  The TV area has terrible acoustics

The headphones, even though cheap, have been great.

I can watch TV without disturbing anyone - and I can't hear what the Mrs. is talking tennis to me.       :wife:

I hate tennis

A Win - Win.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »
Ginger Baker came across to me as a real egomaniacal prick. He had the gall to call Hendrix simply a showman.

THe Eagles documentary is quite good.

Try Charge and Faster! The former is a docu on development of electric motorcycles to compete at the Isle of Mann. The latter is Moto GP narrated by Ewan MacGregor.

There is some really good stuff buried in Netflix
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Joe A.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
Ginger Baker came across to me as a real egomaniacal prick. He had the gall to call Hendrix simply a showman.

THe Eagles documentary is quite good.

Try Charge and Faster! The former is a docu on development of electric motorcycles to compete at the Isle of Mann. The latter is Moto GP narrated by Ewan MacGregor.

There is some really good stuff buried in Netflix

Agreed Baker was a prick, but it was a good watch. I have the Eagles on my watch list for this weekend along with the other two you recommend. Thanks for the tip!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Oh- if you enjoy documentaries, here are some other sure fire hits:

G Dog  the story of Father Greg boyle, a Jesuit priest who sets upa  gang intervention program in East LA. Not at all pandering or toucht feely. Inspiring, uplifting, and at times genuinely funny story. Watch this and you'll feel there is some hope.

Deceptive Practive-  Spend some time behind the scenes witha  world class card magician. Unvarnished look at the very hard work of up close, in you face sleight of hand.

Drew- man behind the poster-   Background story of the artist who penned all of the classic movie posters of the 70s-90s. Superbly talented yet totally taken for granted. You appreciate how his iconic paintings are truly burned into your mental hard drive.

THere's something about great documentaries that I find fascinating. If you feel the same way, you're in for a treat.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Joe A.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
thanks for the documentary tips, big fan of them, and I probably would have overlooked the ones you mention. I have some experience with Jesuits form H.S., nothing touchy feely about those guys. If any one had an issue with someone,some of them would schedule 30 minutes in the gym, give the parties 16oz boxing gloves and let them go at it. When caught drinking beer, we were joined foor a cold one before getting "the talk." good guys (my experience)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here