Author Topic: Dire straights - On the road again.  (Read 7577 times)

Skin Mechanic

Dire straights - On the road again.
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:09:47 AM »
Do any of you guys know where I can locate key blanks for the Breva? The tip broke off key 1 a coupla years back, and key 2 is about to snap. Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:17:24 PM by Skin Mechanic »

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
Re: Dire straights
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
I usually  have them in stock
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
Perhaps you mean "dire straits":  a bad or difficult situation or state of affairs (also a British rock band, of course); "dire straights" refers to a desperate bunch of homophobic heterosexuals at a gay pride rally.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Curtis. I'm gonna call around and try to locate a locksmith that can cut and clone a blank, as well as extract the broken key from the right panner latch ::)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:23 PM »
Perhaps you mean "dire straits":  a bad or difficult situation or state of affairs (also a British rock band, of course); "dire straights" refers to a desperate bunch of homophobic heterosexuals at a gay pride rally.

Pretty sure Mark Knophler from Dire Straits is from NZ, or is it Oz? (one of those down under places)

Good luck with your key skin ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:14:09 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:53 PM »
Why don't you buy a couple keys from a dealer, a dealer like Harpers for starters?  You asked if anyone knew where you could get blank.  Curtis chimes in and says he would be happy to help you out, and you respond with something like,
" yea, thanks and all, but I think I go find a local lock smith to make me one"

You ask for help here, and you get it,
 and then take the info and spend your money somewhere else, thats not very cool in my mind.

Take your side case to a local smith, but give the guys that make it all possible for us to be riding these fine machines, the business you can.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline ItsForrest

• Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
  • Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:10:52 AM »
That wasn't what I got from his post. I read it as; now that he can get a blank from Curtis, he needs to find a locksmith locally that caan cut that kind of blank as well as extract the broken key.
The urge to buy terrorizes!

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:30:25 AM »
Why don't you buy a couple keys from a dealer, a dealer like Harpers for starters?  You asked if anyone knew where you could get blank.  Curtis chimes in and says he would be happy to help you out, and you respond with something like,
" yea, thanks and all, but I think I go find a local lock smith to make me one"

You ask for help here, and you get it,
 and then take the info and spend your money somewhere else, thats not very cool in my mind.

Take your side case to a local smith, but give the guys that make it all possible for us to be riding these fine machines, the business you can.

ItsForrest, hit the nail on the head. I have to find someone that can mill the blank and clone the transponder.
I spoke with Curtis about this over the phone yesterday. He has the blanks, but I haven't found a locksmith that can clone the key. Guzzisteve said a Volvo dealership could clone the key but Royal Volvo/VW has one of the worst service departments in b'ham. I don't want to spend $$$ on a blank and have a part time dumbass at the Volvo parts counter fuçk it up. Curtis gave me a lead to a website that sells the blanks and can clone the key in house. Option 3 is AF1 Racing, they sell the blanks and can mill them, but they don't program the transponders. As for the pannier, the locksmith extracted the key, but they did not have a blank that would fit it. It looks like a Givi key, but if so which one? The locksmith said he could rekey the latches to a more common blank.

Regarding the other Dire Straights, Dusty's right, Knopfler's from Glasgow. When the local classic rock station plays 'Money For Nothing', the other "F" word is dubbed out. I never found the lyric offensive, but alas, we live in a society that wallows in political correctness. One odd side note, Ian Anderson's vocals on some of the newer Jethro Tull material sounds exactly like Knoplfer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:32:07 AM by Skin Mechanic »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:32 AM »
Oh, my mistake. I stand corrected. Thank you Sultans of trivia.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:50:29 AM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:04 AM »
It's just that you are normally the master of such important details  :o

Dusty

I've been a Dire Straits fan forever. ALWAYS thought Mark was from down under. Master guitarist. Anyone who can pick with Chet & Emmylou is the shiznit in my book.

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »
After sorting thru hundreds of key blanks the locksmith finally found the correct blank. For future reference the blank is Saab SAA1, Ilco X52. It took over an hour to extract the key and he only charged me $15 which may sound pricey, but it's cheaper than a hand job from a 6th Ave. hooker, and this 'happy ending' comes with a lead. Regarding the ignition key, he referred me to a locksmith in a dilapidated store front on the seedy side of town who can clone the transponder. I haven't heard from motorcyclekeys.com yet but the locksmith at AF1 Racing said he could mill the blanks from the key with the broken tip as I did not want to mail the good key off to Timbuktu.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
No one has asked the important question. Skin- where the F you bin??

We're left here to wonder about your voyage navigating through the strange waters of Wally World. What's going on? Where's the cucumber?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
I'm still in league with the forces of evil(walmart), processing vendor invoices and donations to the local food bank. I pissed a bunch of people off with some posts I made last summer, so I decided to blow this joint and concentrate on what really matters; sitting on the couch and binge drinking homebrew. As a general rule alcoholics drink to avoid their problems but since this key bull$hit I've hardly touched the stuff. I wouldn't have bothered showing my ugly mug here again were it not a serious issue. I've lurked on guzzitech, but their forum is splintered into so many chat rooms, it's damn near impossible to perform a relevant search. I did find this thread regarding yet another hurdle, which is to recover and change the user code;

http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/breva-one-key-no-code.13984/

Bill's brother doesn't remember the code and I've tried keying in the obvious numbers; 00000, 12345, service code, zip code, last 5 digits of the VIN.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:42:36 PM by Skin Mechanic »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
Check out the Notting Hillbillies , a side project for Knopfler .

Dusty

Yuuuuup I got those cd's too, You gotta run me down............

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
After sorting thru hundreds of key blanks the locksmith finally found the correct blank. For future reference the blank is Saab SAA1, Ilco X52.

A locksmith here in NZ found the Silca ZD18 fits perfectly on the Aprilia pannier locks.

Skin Mechanic

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
A locksmith here in NZ found the Silca ZD18 fits perfectly on the Aprilia pannier locks.

Cool that, I found a more comprehensive list of compatible blanks on a locksmithing website:

Cole SB11
Curtis SB-11
Dominion SB9
ESP SAA1
Ilco X52
Ilco EZ SAA1
Jet SAA1
JMA SAA-AC
Silca YM22
Taylor X52

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »
All is well that ends well.   ;-T
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Skin Mechanic

Re: Dire straights - On the road again.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »
What makes this victory even sweeter, the key in the ignition has an unwritten transponder. Cloning and programming are soooooooooo overrated ;D

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here