Author Topic: Well that was not fun... hit from behind at a stop light...!  (Read 34027 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Well that was not fun... hit from behind at a stop light...!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
But for the grace of God as last summer in Wichita at a stop light a car rear ended the vehicle just back of me a bit in the next lane at around 50ph. I though an IED had gone off. The car that did the hitting then veered into the next lane to my right hitting another car. I could feel and hear debris hitting my helmet and leather jacket. Ended up with a ruined front tire from the debris. I could have been squashed like a bug.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »
  Two years ago I had was riding a Kawasaki C-14 and I pulled over in a parking lot of a body shop to put on a jacket.  Back on the bike I was waiting for traffic to clear and I guy backed into me with a lot of force.  I fell to the side and as I did my boot caught between the exhaust and the ground.  As the bike fell I was slapped to the ground like a fly swatter. I was under the bike and the guys from the shop came out to lift the bike from on top of me.  We exchanged info and the guy was very sorry.  I rode home 300 miles and called the insurance company and started a claim.  I was beat up pretty good and they suggested the emergency room but I went to the doc the next day.  I should have gone to the emergency room because I had 3 broken ribs.  I am not one to manufacturer pain and peril to boost an insurance claim but suggest a thorough exam.  I finally went to get X-Rays two weeks after and when the pictures came up on the docs PC he just kept looking at me and back the the screen and told me he was amazed I was still mobile.  The insurance company paid for the bike and I replaced the parts myself, the paid for the chiropractor and gave me a few thousand to cover my time off work but if I had gone to the emergency room I would have been in a much better place legally to collect money for pain and suffering, not that that is my style.  I think the accident still affects me today.  
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »
Glad you're ok.  I was tagged in the rear in '86 by a guy coming off third shift.  He fell asleep at the stop light and rolled into me.  Just broke out the tail light and bought me a new one.  He was in a Camaro also.

Fwiw, according to The Hurt Report, published back around '80 or so, rear end collisions account for 10% of motorcycle accidents.  Of course that was way before texting, in-dash DVD or streaming movie players.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:35 AM »
Sorry to hear this news.  Go to the doctor!  Should probably get Xrays to be sure there are no bone issues cracked  or broken.  Take pictures of any bruising on your body.  Glad you weren't seriously injured.  You may want your lawyer involved.  Take care.
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:35 AM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »
Quote from racasy:
Rob, how is it possible that you were sitting motionless in the roadway and not aware of vehicle approaching from the rear? 

In the incident that I describe I was in the left turn lane and there were three more lanes. One cannot watch them all at the same time and in my case the speed of the impacting car was so great it would have been a couple of seconds from seeing it bearing down until impact. It is a great idea to be aware but not possible to catch it all in all settings.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »

Given the law you mentioned, I would have stayed down and waited for the cops to come.

If I ever get hit hard enough to throw me off the bike (not just a tip over), I'm staying on the ground until the ambulance and police show up.  I carry lots of under / uninsured coverage but I want a police report at the minimum if there's potential frame damage to me or the bike.

Hope you heal quickly.
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:57 AM »
Sorry to hear this news.  Go to the doctor!  Should probably get Xrays to be sure there are no bone issues cracked  or broken.  Take pictures of any bruising on your body.  Glad you weren't seriously injured.  You may want your lawyer involved.  Take care.

Get your ass into a medical facility now. If something related to this surfaces later, you want records. If you're flawless, it's great to be told that by a pro. I know you're aching this morning. I'll tag you by email.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
In 50+ years of riding only 2X have I heard brakes squealing behind me and to be safe I've put my bike in neutral into 1st gear and shot across the intersection, not even looking for oncoming traffic on the side roads.  Haven't been rear ended yet.....except for that time I was behind a car next to a donut shop with 2 MC cops watching and this lady in front of me accidentally put her auto. car in reverse and when she hit the pedal to go forward she came back @ me on my 80cc Yamaha as I back pedaled as fast as I could and me and my bike ended up jammed under her trunk/gas tank! While the 2 cops watched in awe.  P:)  Luckily neither me or my bike got hurt much and I didn't even ream out the driver.  :D   That's when I was 20 something.  Now I would respond differently.  :wife:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:40:10 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 12:10:38 PM »
Accidents are unfortunate, and I believe most are preventable.  I use every instance to learn more about prevention, and knowing more about this accident would be helpful.

Rob, how is it possible that you were sitting motionless in the roadway and not aware of vehicle approaching from the rear? 

Do you regularly ride in a polo shirt?

Ciao,
Dick

I was going out to ride around a neighborhood a few miles from my place and do some geocaching in which I would be riding not more than a few blocks at a time and stopping to look for the cache. 

Sunday morning traffic was light and it was a gorgeous sunny day..  I was feeling great.  Right up until I wasn't.

Get your ass into a medical facility now. If something related to this surfaces later, you want records. If you're flawless, it's great to be told that by a pro. I know you're aching this morning. I'll tag you by email.

I am working on it...  Being on travel and away from home I need to go with the facility that we have aligned here for us to use.  I want the peace of mind.

In 50+ years of riding only 2X have I heard brakes squealing behind me and to be safe I've put my bike in neutral into 1st gear and shot across the intersection, not even looking for oncoming traffic on the side roads.

I never heard a tire screech, I am guessing that she was not going very fast but any speed to be hit from the ass end is going to knock you off the motorcycle, I would think anyway...

The motorcycle was i nuetral...

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Online guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »
Very sorry to see this... glad your doing alright.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 12:35:12 PM »
Hi Rob, Sorry to hear about the accident, Thank God you were able to ride away,and it wasnt worse.  Harpers had a few Nat cycle cruiseliners "in the raw" for sale, he probably still has a few.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »

I went for a for a sanity check-up on the slight pain that I have been experiencing since being punted off the Guzzi... 

Had a good, thorough going over with the cute little Dr. Toni, didn't catch her last name.  She put me through the paces for range of motion and it was her belief that, after checking me over that the amount of discomfort did not warrant X-rays. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Now, the disclaimer is that no matter what one might feel now or in three days, there is nothing to guarantee that something might not surface at some later date.  I can now hand that info over to the hitter's insurance company and this visit will be documented that I experienced pain due to the accident.

She found it funny that I was going to this extent to essentially put the hitter's mind at ease,  I told her that the intent was to put my mind at ease and the hitter's .

So, feeling pretty good and I have a clutch lever on the way, hopefully National Cycles cases soon also...

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »
Rob:

I agree on getting yourself checked out. Even a series of trips to the chiropracter could help keep things in line and prevent problems. Go in now and keep records- there should be no problems with reimbursement.

As for bike damage- photos, photos, photos. Overall shots as well as close ups.  Make a list and make sure to account for postage and labor to R&R. If you are orderly and not vindictive- i think you'll find her carrier pretty straightforward to deal with. On that note- get the contact information for the adjustor assigned to her claim as well as the claim number. Her insurance agency should provide you with that info.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
Rob:

I agree on getting yourself checked out. Even a series of trips to the chiropracter could help keep things in line and prevent problems. Go in now and keep records- there should be no problems with reimbursement.

As for bike damage- photos, photos, photos. Overall shots as well as close ups.  Make a list and make sure to account for postage and labor to R&R. If you are orderly and not vindictive- i think you'll find her carrier pretty straightforward to deal with. On that note- get the contact information for the adjustor assigned to her claim as well as the claim number. Her insurance agency should provide you with that info.

Jonathan,
Yup, all checked out and we (she) checked for alignment and we did indeed talk about a chiropractor or osteopath for alignment if needed. 

You are right on the money with the details also... I am doing just that, showing her photos of the damage which is minimal, lots of photos to help her and a husband if there is one understand what they are looking at.

I have even found a couple of sets of used NC bags, one nearby but I may have lost those to another, he called first and all that...   I do not wish to have her insurance pay for new NC Cases as these were already on the Guzzi when I bought it and they are were not perfect to start with. 

Trying to be fair and as you say, not vindictive.

I am just that naïve to believe that it can all work out without going for the jugular.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob, Sorry to hear about the accident, Thank God you were able to ride away,and it wasnt worse.  Harpers had a few Nat cycle cruiseliners "in the raw" for sale, he probably still has a few.
Rick

Thanks Rick, if the leads I have for cases fall through, I'll give Curtis a call. Are in the raw cases at least black...? I hate to paint and being out here I really have no place to do that.

Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »
It's nice to hear someone wanting to be fair instead of punitive.  So many would eye a situation like this as an opportunity to snag a windfall.

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 07:58:27 PM »
Hey Rob,
Just spotted your post and have to say I was shocked! Reading through all the posts I'm relieved to learn that you are taking all the appropriate steps to get your "riggin'" right.
Not sure I understand your reluctance to hold the hitter/ hitter's insurance responsible for damages to the bike. Does it really matter that the bags came with the bike??? So did the wheels, fenders, tank etc. etc. Not preachin' and ultimately you will do what feels "right" to YOU.
Most importantly, I'm glad your in one piece and look forward to doin' some ridin' with ya this Summer.
Steve
P.S. Chia sends love!!

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
Rob, you have to understand, Insurance Co.s want to get off as cheap as possible.  You are just a case # to them and the sooner they can close your case the happier they are.  I haven't heard anyone here saying take the Ins. Co. for all you can, but please understand, they aren't in that your a nice guy mindset at all.  If you don't know your rights in this transaction they will lie to you to coerce you to free them of any obligation.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:52:45 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
Please, for the love of God, don't turn this into another Insurance company conspiracy post.  We've heard it already: insurance companies train adjustors to screw you. My friend is an adjustor and told me they are told to cheat you and not pay claims.

The post is about Rob and what he can do.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
Hey Rob,
Just spotted your post and have to say I was shocked! Reading through all the posts I'm relieved to learn that you are taking all the appropriate steps to get your "riggin'" right.
Not sure I understand your reluctance to hold the hitter/ hitter's insurance responsible for damages to the bike. Does it really matter that the bags came with the bike??? So did the wheels, fenders, tank etc. etc. Not preachin' and ultimately you will do what feels "right" to YOU.
Most importantly, I'm glad your in one piece and look forward to doin' some ridin' with ya this Summer.
Steve
P.S. Chia sends love!!

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of insurance corporations, I just thought I would try and make the reimbursement as easy as possible so as to make it speedy...  
Now that you point out this fatal flaw, I guess I do realize that the insurance co does not give a hoot if I try to save them any coin.  I must have been thinking I was saving the hitter the bread... I dunno.

If I cannot find used ones then I will just give her the new, buy it now price... they are spendy and I really only need one, that would look great, one new case and one not-so-new... ::)

How does this work exactly, do I go buy bags and beg for funds or give them an estimate.  Does an "Adjuster come look at the damage...?  Not very experienced at accidents thanks goodness.

Thanks Steve, we will have to go on a Stelvio blast or two, love right back to Chia.  

Best,
rd

Rob, you have to understand, Insurance Co.s want to get off as cheap as possible.  You are just a case # to them and the sooner they can close your case the happier they are.  I haven't heard anyone here saying take the Ins. Co. for all you can, but please understand, they aren't in that your a nice guy mindset at all.  If you don't know your rights in this transaction they will lie to you to coerce you to free them of any obligation.  ;)

Understand... maybe I did bump my head... LOL   :D

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 09:22:12 PM »
all this talk about rear ended at intersections leads me to say that it should be legal to lane split everywhere. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Impulsive_Duc

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »
Holy smokes... glad you are (mostly) intact, things can be replaced people can't.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Pamphlets/AutoAccident.aspx#1

That couple in the pickup's word will really help you. A lot of people change their word after the accident and deny everything after their insurance tells them to. And see a doctor! There's injuries that can go unnoticed and cause major problems later, just be safe. If you are worried about cost, I think your insurance company can "subrogate" the cost of the doctor's visit since it was clearly the other party's fault.

I'm glad to hear it hasn't put you off riding, and you still have faith in people. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »
 Bike accidents always suck,glad to hear only the bike is damaged . Many year ago I was driving my car looking to the left for a business entrance..I was slowing down,brake lights lit.....Kaboom!  I was rear ended by a Goldwing. Bike and rider laying on the ground. I helped the rider pick up the bike,he was limping around ,pants torn,bloody knee. I felt bad like it was my fault..The rider said he was at fault and was not paying attention because he was looking for the same business entrance...His bike was damaged but rideable, my rust bucket car had a bent bumper....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:02:41 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »
Hey Rad, glad to hear you're ok.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
Good to know you're GOOD..  did the impact hit the tire at all? if yes, you might want to inspect the u-joint and the wheel to be sure nothing got bent or bruised. even the rear of the frame coulda been tweaked.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »
I had a similar thing happen when I was on a Goldwing a few years back. Scratched the bag and tweaked my back was all.

I went to my chiropractor, who is a god among men (Okay, maybe just an angel) and he tuned me up.

The insurance adjuster was eager to make it clear that they were fair. Came out and took a picture of the bike while I was at work. I gave them the price of a bag off Ebay and they didn't blink an eye. I told them I wanted a set of ten visits to my chiropractor, at that time the family discount package size. It all came to something over $300. They insisted on paying $500.

I'll send you my chiro and body work (two different guys) contact data. These guys are awesome, albeit geographically inconvenient (La Mesa). I'm taller and younger every time I walk out of there.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
I had a similar thing happen when I was on a Goldwing a few years back. Scratched the bag and tweaked my back was all.

I went to my chiropractor, who is a god among men (Okay, maybe just an angel) and he tuned me up.

I'll send you my chiro and body work (two different guys) contact data. These guys are awesome, albeit geographically inconvenient (La Mesa). I'm taller and younger every time I walk out of there.

Anybody who goes down with enough force to cause back/neck pain should receive a full set of x-rays before ever letting a chiropractor touch them. In my professional life I have made braces for many a trauma patients and a few of them did not necessarily know the extent of their injury until days later and only after x-rays and or CT scan.
And then there is the story of my ex wife who had a back fusion years before this incident. She fell backwards/fell after loosing her grip grabbing a large heavy door. She had severe lower spine pain and went to the ER. The x-rays were negative. She suffered badly for days in pain and returned a week later. A new set of X-rays revealed a perfect horizontal fracture in her lower back. Some fractures do not always appear immediately. Lucky for her it was stable. The docs in the ER thought she was a malinger and just wanted drugs. When that black line showed up in her lower back they shut the **** up and did surgery immediately.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »

Anybody who goes down with enough force to cause back/neck pain should receive a full set of x-rays before ever letting a chiropractor touch them.

redrider,

I agree totally, I would think that would be protocol. 

Said in my best Tony the Tiger voice, I feel Great today,   Unbelievable.  Took another hot tub last night, did a few light range of motion exercises and I really feel fine.  I see no need for the chiropractor...

And to be clear here, I rolled (I think) backwards and to the left off a motorcycle that had been sitting still and booted out from under me.   I did not really "go down" in a classic sense, more of a fall off I guess. 
Anyway, I feel good.

Sending a list of required replacement parts to the hitter for her insurance company this evening...

Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 04:21:01 PM »
glad you are OK...had something similar happen in 2006...positive thing is you walked away from it.
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
Rob- deal with the physical stuf. I might be able to guide you through your claim.

Always call your own insurance company if only to put them on notice. They'll stand by if you need them.  You do not want to have to go through your own company if only because of the hassle of the deductible (if they subrogate successfully against the third party, they will refund your deductible).

Get in touch with the third party carrier and lay out all the information. You want to provide them with a detailed statement (time, precise location, circumstances, signals, traffic lights, other vehicles, etc.). Provide a detailed diagram- not chicken scratching. One easy way is to pull up the intersection on google maps, print it out, and use that as a background. I don't know if you have witnesses- but get the names and statements to submit.

Of course, provide pictures and a list of damages as well as proposed repairs (labor and materials).

There's really no need to use invective of to get huffy. Your case is very straight forward. When presented this way- the third party adjustor has a very easy time justifying payment.  I always tell people in liability situations- "50% of the time our guy is wrong, 50% of the time your guy is wrong."

You make out fine.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »
redrider,

Took another hot tub last night, did a few light range of motion exercises and I really feel fine.  I see no need for the chiropractor...

Love the tub!

Good advice on having a claim number with your own insurance provider too.  In our case we had claims on my provider (underinsured) and theirs.  Although you feel fine now in a week if something isn't right and your med expenses go up you can blow through their coverage limits in just a matter of days (or hours).

The adjuster's goal will be to get a release of claim from you as fast as possible so if you don't need the cash flow time works in your favor.  Don't sign until you are certain.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here