Author Topic: MUSIC and OLE FARTS  (Read 16951 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
MUSIC and OLE FARTS
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »
It was narcissistic of me to assume only I was gifted passable knowledge of genuine rock. I AM HUMBLED and I won't forget it.

Suppose if I pulled out Blue Cheer, Spirit, Robin Trowyer or Moby Grape, more than one of you nabobs will name all the bass players...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: MUSIC and OLE FARTS
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
Yeah , or all seven members of Los Lobos  ;D

Dusty

Or the keyboard player who played the flute on "Hitchin' A Ride" .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
not rock but I still miss him greatly.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

tusong200

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »

Suppose if I pulled out Blue Cheer, Spirit, Robin Trowyer or Moby Grape, more than one of you nabobs will name all the bass players...

I'm definitely an Ole Fart....(saw Blue Cheer and Spirit in their original configurations ['67??], also saw Sun at the old Brown Shoe in Chicago [late 60's]).

Picking up the gauntlet.

I wouldn't include Robin Trower in that list...definitely later generation (even though he did play with Procul Harum *after* "Whiter Shade of Pale").

So there.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:10:03 AM by tusong200 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
Fotoguzzi - nice shot of Mr. Blount!
re: Blue Cheer -- even Owsley made mistakes…
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
It was narcissistic of me to assume only I was gifted passable knowledge of genuine rock. I AM HUMBLED and I won't forget it.

Spuddy

Not so much a gift as you obviously had some brain cells survive.  Most of the folks who listened those folks well....
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
Not so much a gift as you obviously had some brain cells survive.  Most of the folks who listened those folks well....

With Raw Sienna, Jethro Tull and Led Zeplin all at once in the Electric Theater and Hendrix x2 at the Chicago Civic Opera House, not THAT many survived.  Look, I'm on this website...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Ahh , Savoy Brown  ;-T

Dusty

;-T One of my favorites. Saw them (or basically Kim Simmonds) at a local blues festival a few years back. Unfortunately Chris Youlden wasn't present. Still....was a good show.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:14:55 PM by screamday »
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »
While I saw my fair share of concerts in the early 70's and beyond, I'm not stuck in the past. No matter what kind of music you like, someone is making it right now and lots of it is damn good. You just have to work a bit to find it, cause you're likely not going to get it on your local radio station like you did in the olden days.

Plenty of good music forums available to get inspirations or check Al Kooper's blog New Music for old people. http://www.themortonreport.com/features/new-music-for-old-people/

Lots of exciting new talent out there to support.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:40:53 PM »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
Sorry Geezers, REAL ROCK means Carl Perkins, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Narvile Felts,Wanda Jackson, Charlie Rich etc. All good bands mentioned, but if you're flapping your geezer jaws do it right! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFHvNwRb6Q
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:05:53 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »
Entwhistle was great. I saw the Who, double-billed with the Grateful Dead at the Oakland baseball stadium. One of the stranger double bills ever, practically two different crowds as most of the Who fans left afterwards and most of the Deadheads didn't show up until after the Who finished. A loss for both…

I wasn't expecting much from the Who. Oh boy was I surprised. Townshend is quite under-rated. Moon was on form, no need for a substitute from the audience. Entwhistle sounded more like Jack Bruce… and of course the Deadhead tapers never to my knowledge bothered to use tape for the Who. The Dead were pretty good for the days and when Lesh hit low notes the whole Coliseum would vibrate. Good times!

A friend was in a boat some distance offshore. Heard everything just fine…

What was that you said, sonny?  :BEER:
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
Did someone mention bass?    :D     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_OQfvKwUlg
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »
Entwhistle was great. I saw the Who, double-billed with the Grateful Dead at the Oakland baseball stadium. One of the stranger double bills ever, practically two different crowds as most of the Who fans left afterwards and most of the Deadheads didn't show up until after the Who finished. A loss for both…

I wasn't expecting much from the Who. Oh boy was I surprised. Townshend is quite under-rated. Moon was on form, no need for a substitute from the audience. Entwhistle sounded more like Jack Bruce… and of course the Deadhead tapers never to my knowledge bothered to use tape for the Who. The Dead were pretty good for the days and when Lesh hit low notes the whole Coliseum would vibrate. Good times!

A friend was in a boat some distance offshore. Heard everything just fine…

What was that you said, sonny?  :BEER:
cr

I've been reading Pete Townshend's Autobiography where he talks about playing with the dead. The Who also billed with a number of Jazz performers; Mose Allison, Miles Davis, Rahssan Roland Kirk, etc. Too bad there isn't more of that today. lots of great new Jazz artists that could use some exposure.

I saw John Entwhistle's Ox as the backup for Joe Walsh back in the Rocky Mountain Way days. Great show at the Arie Crown in Chicago. John's LP Whistle Rhymes was a classic with some really great performers and well written songs.

While I always thought Pete lost his hearing cause of all the loud concerts, he claims it was due to the excessive amount of explosive that Moon put in his drum kit and set off at the end of their performance on the Smothers Brothers show while they were smashing their instruments.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 03:22:12 AM »
  Okay here's the argument stopper.  The first rock and roll record and artist was Arthur Crudup.
  Even Elvis and Chuck Berry agreed on that.  He first did this one in 1942, later in the fifties he even did a few with Elvis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHQUvCkV20

For me, the first R&R I heard were chuck Berry and Elvis in the mid fifties on radio.
  You guys remember radio don't'cha?  It was like TV only the pictures were only in your head.

For the first couple days I thought the title of this thread was Musical ole farts so I didn't click on it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:24:58 AM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 03:46:56 AM »
  Okay here's the argument stopper.  The first rock and roll record and artist was Arthur Crudup.
  Even Elvis and Chuck Berry agreed on that.  He first did this one in 1942, later in the fifties he even did a few with Elvis.

For me, the first R&R I heard were chuck Berry and Elvis in the mid fifties on radio.
  You guys remember radio don't'cha?  It was like TV only the pictures were only in your head.

For the first couple days I thought the title of this thread was Musical ole farts so I didn't click on it.

I agree Jim, THAT'S Rock and Roll! Never was a big British invation fan except for the Beatles.Rockabilly is where it's at!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
  When Elvis first was heard on radio, he was billed as the white guy who sings black.
  BTW, I liked Chuck Berry better.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 12:34:29 PM »
 Okay here's the argument stopper.  The first rock and roll record and artist was Arthur Crudup.
  Even Elvis and Chuck Berry agreed on that.  He first did this one in 1942, later in the fifties he even did a few with Elvis.

You guys remember radio don't'cha?  It was like TV only the pictures were only in your head.

The argument against this one and in favor of Rocket 88 is the guitar is distorted in Rocket 88.  I think you are mostly right but you can't stop the argument, however, cause It's Rock and Roll Baby...
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »
Years ago I found a Savoy double-LP (remember LPs? oh wait, they're the only form of music increasing in sales now  :D ) by stride/boogie-woogie pianist Albert Aamons. Recorded in the early 1940s iirc. Boogie-woogie was proto-rock & roll but the surprise was the guitarist -- Chuck Norris by name (and obviously not *that* Chuck Norris) and sounding very much like Chuck Berry. Ten years before Chuck Berry. Being poor and cheap (Guzzi content) at the time, I checked it out of the library and taped it onto cassette. Need to find the CD or LP, good stuff!
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:56 PM »
  When Elvis first was heard on radio, he was billed as the white guy who sings black.
  BTW, I liked Chuck Berry better.

Elvis's early Sun recordings were straight ahead blues. Man, he could *do* it. What a talent...
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
Keeping it M/C related this tribute to Moby Grape    Motorcycle Irene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93urKLfrlzk
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 08:36:07 PM »
Elvis ... a sad example of the effects of an addiction to fried banana and PB sandwiches , which led to an even worse jones for sequins and bell bottoms  ;D

Dusty

You have a way of dwelling on the negative side of an artists career Dusty, While I'm not a died in the wool Elvis fan, his early work was ground breaking in the history of Rock and Roll. His Rockabilly stuff was great and he was a huge infulence on the music. Remember Heartbreak Hotel? Think of all the hotties that were falling at his feet. I am 100% hetero but DAMN he was a good lookin' man in his day! (later not so much) But hey, it happens to all of us right?

I bet you have a sequin speedo don't you?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »
Ahh , Savoy Brown  ;-T

Dusty

Foghat
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »
Foghat

MASTERS of 3 bar chords :D

Slow ride.......take it easy

As long as we're talkin' bar chords I must mention Link Wray, the INVENTOR of the power chord. This guy REALLY changed rock. Ask Jimmy Page, He'll tell you!

Jimmy Page jams on Link Wray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnyY3rJoaZ4
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:49:10 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .
[/quote]
I do ? Hmm ... Elvis just never blew my dress up the way that B Holly or Bo Diddly did , sorry .
 Dusty

Oh, we're talking about YOUR TASTE, I thought we were talking about rockers that infulenced rock. sorry

Back to: I know a cat named way out Willie   1 chord: chop chop chop chop chop............... .chop chop ;D

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:57:03 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
Geez fellas , all I said was ...
Elvis never wrote a song , didn't invent anything like the Bo Diddly beat , I might even suggest that Eddie Cochrane had a greater influence . Isn't Summertime Blues the most covered song in R&R ?
 Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .

Oh that's right, I forgot about all those Bo Dribbly movies with all those beach blanket hotties jumpin' around not showing thier belly buttons ;D

And yes, even Alan Jackson did Summertime Blues.

Ju know I'm just messin' wit cho mahn!

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 09:19:55 AM »
I was under the impression that The Kinks" You Really Got Me" in 1964 was one of the first power cords in modern rock.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:20:40 AM by slowmover »

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
Link Wray and disciple play Elvis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZd_5XUXMRU
 8)
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
I was under the impression that The Kinks" You Really Got Me" in 1964 was one of the first power cords in modern rock.
[/quote

Pretty sure link was the original dude to lay his left index finger across all 6 wires and crank the volume and tremolo up to 11 and wail.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here