Author Topic: Royal Enfield sales boom - NGC  (Read 16274 times)

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
Royal Enfield sales boom - NGC
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:57:26 PM »
http://canadamotoguide.com/2015/02/03/battle-of-the-brands-royal-enfield-passes-harley-davidsons-global-sales/

Is this right? I can't believe it. Where are they selling all these bikes?
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

oldbike54

Re: Royal Enfield sales boom - NGC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
Uh , there are 1.2 billion people in India .

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 07:18:46 PM »
That might explain a little of the reasoning behind the new Harley "Street" bikes.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
Uh , there are 1.2 billion people in India .

Dusty

Exactly.  RE is selling smaller bikes that not many US riders are  interested in because these RE bikes(by our opinion) are not worthy of our interest.  Smaller countries with not so many roads and disposable income to spend are where RE is selling their bikes.  Good for RE.  :BEER:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:43:53 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:30:02 PM »
Wow, do you think Royal Enfield may eventually buy out Harley Davidson?

That would put Pierre Terblanche in Willie G's Head Designer chair!

Frulk

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »
Cue the comments about the 29.1 HP at the wheel in 3...2...1... :beat_horse

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
Cue the comments about the 29.1 HP at the wheel in 3...2...1... :beat_horse

Plenty for a motorcycle that's used for daily transportation by an owner who doesn't have much money for gasoline and isn't trying to impress anyone.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:48 PM »
I think if I wanted reliable wheels....it would be a modern Japanese bike.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »
Plenty for a motorcycle that's used for daily transportation by an owner who doesn't have much money for gasoline and isn't trying to impress anyone.

It seems Piaggio is missing a niche. There sounds to be a subcontinent of Guzzi aficionado.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 11:20:16 PM »

True enough, but in the huge Indian market, it's probable that an Indian would buy a Royal Enfield that was made in India and readily available, with huge dealer support.  Maybe more so than a foreign (Japanese) motorcycle that costs more and isn't so supported locally.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »
The RE Continental GT is a fine looking bike. I think it looks better than my Triumph Thruxton (at least when my Thruxton was stock).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
True enough, but in the huge Indian market, it's probable that an Indian would buy a Royal Enfield that was made in India and readily available, with huge dealer support.  Maybe more so than a foreign (Japanese) motorcycle that costs more and isn't so supported locally.

Have no idea how many MC Co.s there are in India but Hero is another 1 that has 1/2 interest in EricBuelRacing here in the USA.  :)

MC sales world wide are broken down by cc size, starting with 50cc.  So true volume has to be looked at from that perspective.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:16:16 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »

actually, a indian who wants a cheap means of transportation buys a locally made hero honda at half the price of a enfield.
Enfield is a luxury brand over there , until recently you had to get on a waiting list to buy one.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:39:59 AM »
RE are cute bikes, but in the end they're ancient technology that is a dead-on throwback in the bad old days of british motorcycles. I put them on par with Ural for fun, finesse, distint style and reliability. You can love them dearly and appreciate them, but they're still slow and prone to breaking down at any point.

Cheap always comes at a price.

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 03:13:06 AM »

RE are cute bikes, but in the end they're ancient technology that is a dead-on throwback in the bad old days of british motorcycles. I put them on par with Ural for fun, finesse, distint style and reliability. You can love them dearly and appreciate them, but they're still slow and prone to breaking down at any point.

in 2008 RE introduced a new engine.
it might look like something built in the fities, but is a modern engine
the old iron cylinder british bullet is out of production.
you just missed nearly a decade of enfield development.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 03:52:51 AM »
in 2008 RE introduced a new engine.
it might look like something built in the fities, but is a modern engine
the old iron cylinder british bullet is out of production.
you just missed nearly a decade of enfield development.

It may be a new engine, but everyone that reviews that motor finds it to be sloppy. For the price of an Enfiled here in the US you can buy any number of better bikes brand new. Unless you MUST have the retro look, in which case the only thing that competes with it is either a bonneville or a V7, and I'd rather pay the extra money for a refined engine. Or buy an old POS for cheap and spend the difference on making it truly special.

If they were priced cheaper they'd sell the shit out of them over here too. In India the sell for just over $3k, I'd actually consider buying one if they were that cheap here, but as it is, the bikes just aren't worth the money they want for them in north america.

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 05:51:56 AM »
Cheap always comes at a price

For the price of an Enfiled here in the US you can buy any number of better bikes brand new.

If they were priced cheaper they'd sell the shit out of them over here too.

ow well , never mind.  ???

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:20 AM »
In India, people aspire to a Royal Enfield in much the way that people aspire to an HD in the US.  Both completely irrational aspirations, but part of the culture.  It has nothing to do with rational decisions in either case.

Of course, so much in motorcycling is determined by rational choice............. ......NOT!

Nick

dilligaf

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 06:37:02 AM »
The folks who sell them where I live do not have a department store that sell motorcycles.  Just motorcycles. Nothing fancy. I enjoy doing business with them and I wish them well.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »
one of the guys in our group has  the Continental GT in red, he really likes it and it goes good; keeps up with my V7 on our rides

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 08:49:41 AM »
According to multiple news sources from India, Royal Enfield sold 302,591 motorcycles globally last year. That’s up from 178,121 in 2013 and 113,432 in 2012 – impressive growth for sure (around 70 per cent), and certainly not seen by any other large-scale manufacturer on today’s market.

:o :o :o

That is IMPRESSIVE growth. Hope they improve quality too.

We've got a used car dealer here that is ALSO an RE dealer.

About 50% of their used car inventory are Jeep Wranglers/Wrangler Unlimiteds.

The showroom has 2 Jeeps in it, and the whole line of REs.

They are VERY good looking bikes, small, simple, with EFI and a kickstart, what's not to like?

I would honestly consider one if (when) we have the extra room in the garage for toys like that.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
I read somewhere that Harley was going to build motorcycles in India or is doing it.  It was in order to sell bikes there without the huge import tax.  In exchange, we get mangos.  I love mangos!
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
I read somewhere that Harley was going to build motorcycles in India or is doing it.  It was in order to sell bikes there without the huge import tax.  In exchange, we get mangos.  I love mangos!

They've been "assembling" Sportsters and Big Twins in India and in Brazil to avoid import taxes for some years now.

And the plant in India is now assembling the world market Street 500 & 750 (and I believe producing some of the parts shipped back here to assemble the North American 500 & 750 models that are assembled in Kansas City). Not sure where the motor is being built, I would have thought it was being built at the Menomonee Falls powertrain plant, but the website seems to say they only build the air-cooled motors there.

There's no mention of the Street motors OR the V-Rod motors...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/events/factory-tours/menomoneefallswi.html

EDIT - AHHH, I see.

The Street and V-Rod motors are built in Kansas City at the same place those bikes are assembled. Still can't say if they export finished motors to the India assembly plant. I would think that's a possibility.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/events/factory-tours/kanascitymo.html

Kansas City employees produce the Sportster®, Dyna®, StreetTM and V-Rod® families of motorcycles, along with select Softail® models, from fabrication and finishing through final assembly to include the liquid-cooled Revolution® and Revolution XTM powertrains for the V-Rod and Street families.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:09:40 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 09:16:03 AM »
Kev M beat me to it. Remember that the motorcycle market isn't portly old American baby boomer guys with spending money--ie, many of us here. It's young guys from Bangkok and Bangalore that have to battle insane traffic, but still look kind of cool. Harley is just doing what it has to do.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline freedom

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
I was in India in December and there seems to be a resurgence in RE in India. You see a lot more RE's in India now than just 3 years ago (the last time I was there). And like Nick949 said RE in India has a similar place in peoples hears to HD in the US.
"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 11:24:01 AM »
True enough, but in the huge Indian market, it's probable that an Indian would buy a Royal Enfield that was made in India and readily available, with huge dealer support.  Maybe more so than a foreign (Japanese) motorcycle that costs more and isn't so supported locally.

Japanese build bikes in India just like Harley does.  And they export them all over the world just like Enfield does.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 11:26:39 AM »
I was in India in December and there seems to be a resurgence in RE in India. You see a lot more RE's in India now than just 3 years ago (the last time I was there). And like Nick949 said RE in India has a similar place in peoples hears to HD in the US.

I have several Indian motorcycle-riding friends in the BritBike world.   I wish we had a few here, but Moto Guzzis are beyond the reach of the average Indian guy.

IF you are a 4-year-degreed Indian professional -

1) You do NOT own a car.  Cars are still beyond the ability of most people to buy, maintain, and ESPECIALLY garage and park.   There's no infrastructure for it.

2) For daily transport, you have an Indian-built scooter, usually 1 between you and your wife, sometimes two.

3) In the same way we might aspire to a $30,000 full-boat BMW or Road King, you MIGHT aspire to an Indian-built Enfield.

4) Harley-Davidsons and the like are strictly for rajahs and Bollywood stars, the same way a LearJet or Bugatti might be viewed by us.  .0001% 'ers.

5) A normal person cannot buy an imported motor vehicle.   India will not allow the import of ANYTHING that might jeopardize one single $.10/hour Indian job.   If you send a package to India (say old Brit bike parts to help restore someone's BSA M20), the 30 clerks whose hands it goes through will rip it to pieces looking for jewelry (never importable), new bike parts, etc.

Just a different world than here, and a LOT more of it ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 11:31:18 AM »
In India, people aspire to a Royal Enfield in much the way that people aspire to an HD in the US.  Both completely irrational aspirations, but part of the culture.  It has nothing to do with rational decisions in either case.

Of course, so much in motorcycling is determined by rational choice............. ......NOT!

Nick

Bid DITTO to support my fellow Falconer!

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »

4) Harley-Davidsons and the like are strictly for rajahs and Bollywood stars, the same way a LearJet or Bugatti might be viewed by us.  .0001% 'ers.

Wouldn't that be a 0.000,000,001.500%er?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
Wouldn't that be a 0.000,000,001.500%er?

Could be.   It's a big-arsed country.   I'd love to visit, but even my Indian friends inviting me over tell me that once we get on the bikes, and start buying food at roadside stalls, I'd be sick as 3 dogs for a week before my intestinal flora adjusted ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here