Author Topic: Airplane guys----NGC at all  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
Airplane guys----NGC at all
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
There seem to be a whole wealth of aviation knowledge represented here, perhaps someone here can help me.

I am in the process of buying a vintage car restoration business. In the large inventory of, uh, stuff that comes with the business is a tiny motor. When I asked about it the owner said it was an apu for a B-17. This,of course, intrigued me so I did some research. From my meager google-foo skills I found out that it appears to be a D2 apu, 10hp v twin four stroke engine. The apu is mostly complete, it is missing some of the sheetmetal ducting. The engine appears to be stuck.
My mind gets carried away hear, visions of this becomeing another mini aero rescue thread (the engine in a motorcycle), or just restoring it as it stands for a conversation piece.
Anyway, do any of you aero industry guy know of any part sources for these things?
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Penderic

Re: Airplane guys----NGC at all
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »
The APU in the B29 Superfortress, that was almost recovered in Iceland, was a 4 cylinder type - not for that plane.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-05-24/news/mn-5487_1_air-force-base

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »
Cheese, that's the one. His looks prettier that the one I saw.  Bit of a odd diatribe on the end of his description.....
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
Cheese, that's the one. His looks prettier that the one I saw.  Bit of a odd diatribe on the end of his description.....

Guy sounds like an anti-Semitic, tinfoil-hat nut case.   You'd think that would limit his potential buyer base a bit ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion . Mine is that this seller is more interested in insulting folks than selling his stuff.. Geez , didn't even understand most of his sales pitch  ??? Is he looking for payment in gold or silver ?

Dusty

Yeah, I just skimmed through it, but it looked like he wants 2500 cash or 25 in gold or silver..  ;D something like that, anyway..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
The APU in the B29 Superfortress, that was almost recovered in Iceland, was a 4 cylinder type - not for that plane.

I did a Google for B29 APU..they all look like the 2 cylinder V twin... Google also says the b17 had a single cylinder generator....

56Pan

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
The Grumman Widgeon had that same APU.  They're very noisy.

Cheese

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:38 AM »

His other auctions appear to be "normal". 100% feedback as well...momentary flashback perhaps.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
They would make 'cute' little gensets for an RV.  Just have to 'manage' the 28V to 12V thing.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:29 AM »

This a link on YouTube to the full length Nova version of the restoration and fire that lead to the destruction of the plane as it was prepped for takeoff.
It is quite a story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds
Red 90 Mille GT

Bill Hagan

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »
Guy sounds like an anti-Semitic, tinfoil-hat nut case.   You'd think that would limit his potential buyer base a bit ... ?

Lannis

The seller is one of those “sovereign citizen” fruitcakes.

See, e,g, http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/30/sovereign-citizens-are-a-sometimes-violent-fringe-group-rejecting-all-government.html.

He lost me before I got to his main line of drivel with his "Army Air Core” and "This Piece of Evil History.”

Bill

Penderic

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
Do Italian airplane engines use grease for the tappets too?

;)

redrider

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 07:33:18 AM »
A common trait of these writers seems to be very poor language skills.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here