Author Topic: Guzzi Riders around Detroit?  (Read 7808 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Guzzi Riders around Detroit?
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
Well, looks like work will have this Dallas resident staying in the Detroit area for some time.  I don't know the area.

Just curious if there are Guzzi folks around. 

What are good day or weekend motorcycle trips in this area? 

Course, I need to wait for the weather to warm up, but I can dream and scheme while it's still cold.

Thanks!
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline diablo45

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Guzzi Riders around Detroit?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
 Plenty of places to ride around the area.  How long will you be here? What part of the Detroit area are you in? Good day trips would be thru the thumb and weekend trips will take you all thru the lower peninsula. If you are here in September, there is a fun Guzzi Rally up near Interlochen.
http://www.miguzzirally.com/

Sam
Sam
Hazel Park,MI 48030

1970 Ambassador/gone but not forgotten
2002 Stone/gone but not forgotten
1992 Honda ST1100/ gone, it was nice

Support your local dealer

We are the people of the Sun

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »

If you have the time, I just love the UP.   It's like going back in time.   Lots of road side parks along the water's edge.  Frankenmuth(?) is also a
nice day ride.   

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
Well, I'm staying in the Renaissance Center in Detroit.   Not clear for how long, but could be several months, or at least multiple intermittent return trips.

I know nothing of the area.

But I'm scheming to either ride the V7 up here on one return trip.   Or maybe have it shipped up here so I've got a bike to ride over the weekends.

If I'm going to be up here anyway, I might as well check out the bike worthy roads, points of interest, and/or rallies.  Any suggestions welcome.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »

I was born and raised in Detroit but left in 1992.  I'm now in Virginia.   I can't recommend anything near the Detroit area since things
surely have changed a lot.  I've been told some of the nicer roads are now bumper to bumper traffic.   The Irish Hills area use to
be nice.  Hopefully someone that still resides in the state will help.   If I get snowed in tomorrow which is likely, I'll get a map out
and see if something comes to mind.  You might want to search the Michigan Tourism site.  I think the Michigan group still has
a monthly breakfast. 

The Henry Ford Museum is definitely worth going to.  Greenfield Village is no where near as great as Ford's Museum. 
You may want to google that.  That would be very close to you. 

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
Just moved into the UP myself for a little bit, it truly is a slower pace here, sheesh folks even drive nice and are considerate.  Just got back into Guzzis after a 3 year break.......got some exploring to do come spring!!!  One bike is covered in the garage, still need to fly & ride for the other (winter paused that effort).

Would appear there might be another Guzzi rider up here....saw his post a few weeks back,, meant to reach out time slipped.....I'll put that on the front burner again.

Ambogal:

Looking at retiring south & west of you in the Johnson City, TN area in 2016..... know anybody over to that stretch of the woods/mountains??  Headed down this fall to have a look see, shop a house.  Looking forward to meeting all of you down there.

SmithSwede:

There appears to be a den of Guzzi folks in the Lansing/Grand Rapids area.....due east West of Detroit.  You'll also want to set your sight on GT Motors in Lansing for a nice days ride.  I'll likely drop down for visit myself!

Waiting & waiting for spring in the Soo :food

Lee
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:05:44 AM by GuzziPilot »
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline carmine bonacci

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »
Hey Lee You will be waiting a bit for spring in the Soo LOL Winters been getting longer and colder lately! maybe will I will see you on the road come spring ;D
Carmine Bonacci

Offline NorthRider

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
And I was just in the Soo this weekend. My son was playing hockey in the Kaines hockey festival.
With temps in the -20's (-40 with the wind chill) it may take a while for the Soo to thaw
Out! Lol
I'm just below the bridge in Harbor Springs.
2013 Suzuki TU250X
2009 Buell Ulysses XT
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2008 Honda Goldwing
1992 Honda Nighthawk

"What is that"?
  "It is a Italian Enigmatic Poly-cylinder dual sport".
"Huh"?
  "A Moto Guzzi Quota".
"What"?

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
I'm just below the bridge in Harbor Springs.

Great area,  I'll be up in Cross Village visiting my buddy July 4th.   ;-T
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline carmine bonacci

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 07:38:55 AM »
John Cross village is wonderful place, nice riding area! Me and Deb head there many times during the summer for a day ride, always have lunch at the " Legs Inn" Great Polish food! There is a very scenic road to Harbor Springs! which is part of our ride!
Carmine

Offline carmine bonacci

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »
Kanes Rink! Wow what memories,That was a hang out for our neighborhood for generation! Skating rink and youth center, Spent many weekends there when I was young and when my children were paying hockey! Its colder inside than it was outside! Kanes was a converted old trolly car garage from around the turn of the century! I'm sure glad they still they use the old rink!
Carmine

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »

I think Carl Kologeski(?) lives in Johnson City.   I'm going to send you a pm. 

thevin70

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »
John Cross village is wonderful place, nice riding area! Me and Deb head there many times during the summer for a day ride, always have lunch at the " Legs Inn" Great Polish food! There is a very scenic road to Harbor Springs! which is part of our ride!
Carmine

Tunnel of the trees, Traverse City area, Glen Arbor, Leland,,,the UP is great also, Paradise, Whitefish point Edmund Fitzgerald museum,,, The Soo is cool, we run up there beginning of June every year (no Guzzi's though ~;)

Last time I was in Detroit with a bike I said never again, roads were pretty crappy all around, get outside of the city your much better, Canada is pretty cool to visit to..So basically anywhere but downtown Detroit is cool....

I have a book on Motorcycle destinations in Michigan that I'll try to find and give you the name...

Oh one thing go to Hell,,,,, just  little over a hour from where your going to stay,,,just so you can say you've rode to Hell and back ~;

Offline carmine bonacci

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »
Tunnel of the trees, Traverse City area, Glen Arbor, Leland, ................... ...I love that area!! we do that area couple time of the year
Carmine

Offline i HONK

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »
I have lived in Michigan a longggggggggggggggg ggggggggg time. Lots of good roads, and willing to help you out.  Now living west of Traverse City, adjacent to the Sleeping Bear National Park
and within a mile of M-22 the best motorcycle road in lower Michigan. I'd strongly recommend a ride up here this summer. I also handle the annual lunch ride for the Michigan Guzzi Rally in the fall and hope to see you there.

RandyP 
Randy Peterson MGNOC L-782  100k mile award
N. Mi. MGNOC Rep
2007 Red Norge (100,000+ miles)
2000 Champagne/Blue Quota (2008 St. Augustine Concurs de Elegance award of merit)
2014 V7 Racer
1965 Zigolo Restoration Project

Offline SISU Printer

• Gosling
    • My Business
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
Michigan is a beautiful state and there are lots of good riding opportunities. Riding in the city of Detroit and the suburban areas are not really my cup of tea anymore. The roads in the city are not in great shape and with a few exceptions they're all straight as an arrow. If you like the urban commando style of riding you'll do fine in town. That being said I can encourage you to head "up north" and do some riding in the areas that others have mentioned.  I always like a weekend road trip to southeastern Ohio as well. There is some great riding down there. Living in dowtown Detroit will give you easy access to some fantastic dining and night life. If you're into food, Detroit is a good place to be these days. Feel free to PM me for details or local advice.
It will always be better to be shot out of a cannon than sqeezed out of a tube - Hunter S. Thompson

Hunting for another Guzzi

'08 1200 Sport - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Red - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Silver - Gone
'03 California Aluminium -Gone
'89 Mille GT - Miss
'80 CX 100 Lemans - Don't Miss

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
South out of town, Downriver area for food and south/west for roads. Monroe, Dundee, the Lower Huron Metropolitan Parks are all very nice and within an hour.

http://www.metroparks.com/Park-Maps

If you have an entire day or weekend, the Thumb is mostly farmland and open space. The U.P. is certainly worth a 3 day weekend. Southeastern Ohio is just as close, and very nice also-many more curvy hilly roads.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Eunos9494

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
Definitely some great roads north-west from where you'll be staying.  Downtown Detroit can be pretty grid-like and the road conditions can be suspect in some places.  I get down there from Lansing on my bike every now and then for good friends and good food (Johnny Noodle King!).

My advice, see if you can head north-west and get up around the Ann Arbor area.  Lots of good places to stop and rest, plus some pretty decent roads close to the city.  North Territorial and some of it's off-shoots are popular with the motorcycle crowd and sports car clubs.  I second a trip to Hell, MI too, if only to say you've ridden to Hell and back.  The Henry Ford is a must.  There are some amazing cars and bikes there.  And if you're up for a longer drive, see if you can get over to Kalamazoo to the Gilmore Museum.  It's a pretty stunning collection of vehicles and there are some great events to check out there too (Mad Dogs and Englishman!).

I'll of course put a plug in for Lansing.  Not the greatest roads around here, but good people and cold pints.  If you find yourself in the area, consider the first round on me.   ;-T

Enjoy your stay.  Michigan has an amazing array of hidden gems if you go out looking for them.

Offline NorthRider

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
Great area,  I'll be up in Cross Village visiting my buddy July 4th.   ;-T
Look me up when you get there. I am actually just 8 miles down the road from "The Village". ;D
2013 Suzuki TU250X
2009 Buell Ulysses XT
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2008 Honda Goldwing
1992 Honda Nighthawk

"What is that"?
  "It is a Italian Enigmatic Poly-cylinder dual sport".
"Huh"?
  "A Moto Guzzi Quota".
"What"?

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 07:18:51 PM »
I'm in Rochester, about 40 minutes north of downtown Detroit. This is about the northern boundary from whence the riding is good/better/best as you head further north, west or northeast of here.

Please feel free t send a PM as your plans firm up. It's a bit cold for riding as we speak, but never too cold to get to know folks over a beverage.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:55 AM »
Well SmithSwede ya might lose your tan lines up here, but it's certain, ya won't lose connection with our great Moto family. 

So we both have some exploring, and meet & greets to do!!!  Given that I have less than 10 miles on the Norge (that day I bought it) and with EV still waiting to come home.....I'm most definitely ready for a bare road, anything above zero will do 🙏

Carmine:

Are we the only two up here?  I'm seeing a breakfast ride to the folks south of us in "Northern" MI, afterwhich we can invite them up to our place 👌👌

Ambogal,

Thanks for PM, been a very long week, my apologies for the delay in reply....that's next.

Take care all!

Lee

2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here