Author Topic: SEVERE USE H3 BULBS?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
SEVERE USE H3 BULBS?
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
After only 650 miles on my Stelvio NTX the bulbs of both fog lamps went out.  The auxiliary fuses didn't blow and the bulbs did not burn out.  It appears the filaments ruptured.  I suspect the lamps vibrate excessively and the Chinese bulbs were just not up to the task.  Is there any experience out there with Heavy Duty H3 bulbs?

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
Re: SEVERE USE H3 BULBS?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:12:14 PM »
I had Sylvania bulbs that lasted forever in my last set of fog lights.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:23:09 AM »
I've had 35w Piaa Superwhite bulbs in my Vintage's spots since 2007. They're very bright, they impose a light load on the electrical system, and are holding up well. They're easy to find for about $12-15 apiece...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
After only 650 miles on my Stelvio NTX the bulbs of both fog lamps went out.  The auxiliary fuses didn't blow and the bulbs did not burn out.  It appears the filaments ruptured.  I suspect the lamps vibrate excessively and the Chinese bulbs were just not up to the task.  Is there any experience out there with Heavy Duty H3 bulbs?

Spuddy

Its pretty much a given that anything other than a rock is going to be shaken to powder in the stock lamps location. I moved mine to the forks and have had no more problems since.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »
Its pretty much a given that anything other than a rock is going to be shaken to powder in the stock lamps location. I moved mine to the forks and have had no more problems since.

Wonder if LED units would work better at the stock location.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:25:11 AM »
I've had good luck with standard bulbs but ...

I replaced my Hella stock lamps with a pair of Hella-made halogen lamps that use the same bulb but throw out much more light. The reflector design of the stock lamps leaves much to be desired.

Also, if you keep the stock lamps, be sure to protect the internal wires and coil them in the rubber boot. I highly recommend installing a pair of the fuse assemblies made by our friend, Kirb.  Go around and tighten the hell out of all fasteners that attach the engine guard and lamps to the bike. This quelled a lot of vibration for me.

Finally, be aware that the Big Fuse that blows when the lights short out and kill the alternator is located behind the plastic cover on the right side below the seat.  A spare is provided on the holder itself.

I lot of posting has been made concerning the auxiliary lamp issue on the Stelvio. You may should do a search.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:26:09 AM by leafman60 »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here