Author Topic: What You Pack'n?  (Read 26119 times)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What You Pack'n?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
I have done a bunch of multi day motorcycle trips, east coast to west coast a few times.  I mention that not to brag, just to establish a baseline.  In every case I come home and realize that there is stuff I took that I never used, usually clothing.  Let's face it, you can go more than one day on a pair of underwear.  You can wash your socks in the sink and let them dry overnight.  If still damp in the AM lash them to the top of your pack and let them air dry at 60 mph.  Don't need a hair brush.  This is not a fashion statement.  Cotton kills so pack synthetic shirts and be wary of bluejeans.  I like to wear riding pants like Darien pants and light pants or shorts underneath.  If you forget something there is always WalMart.

On the critical list:  rain gear (it WILL rain), heated vest and controller (even at 60F you can experience hypothermia), extra gloves, extra credit cards carried in a hidden spot, copies of drivers license and other critical documents, some kind of road side assistance plan.   If you never need this stuff...great.  If you need it and don't have it you are in deep shit.

Don't forget a camera and take photos of everyone you meet along the way.  That way you will remember what an amazing trip you had.  The amazing part is always because of the people you met, not the places you saw.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »
For moteling, a tank bag is plenty unless you are going to be out for several days.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
Oh, I forgot...leave the .45 at home.

ducking now for the incoming rounds....
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
For moteling, a tank bag is plenty unless you are going to be out for several days.

Yes!   I can't imagine what everyone does with all that stuff they listed.

1) My toiletries go in a little quart zip-loc bag.   Pill case, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor, done.   You're riding a motorcycle in the USA, you don't need much.   Since about 1968, every motel room in the USA includes washcloths, towels, and soap.

2) A couple pair of Ex Officio underwear (you can wash it out in the motel and it's dry by morning).   3 pair merino wool socks.    You're wearing the only other clothes you need.

3) No electronics.  Leave that crap at home (well maybe except a little camera, we'll want to see where you went).   You can tell us about it when you come back.   You're on holiday, you don't need electronic ankle bracelets, leashes, and teddy bears.

4) The stuff in your wallet is already there.  Money, credit cards, ID, health insurance card.   That's it.

5) Rain gear and alternative riding gear - maybe a mesh jacket if you're wearing a heavy one, and a heavy jacket if you're wearing mesh.   If the climate is not going to be too radical, your rain gear can go over your mesh at night.  You'll have to make the call on that.

This stuff will go in a tank bag or one top box or tail bag, easy.  If your riding gear is bulky, maybe strap it on top.

Camping is a different story, but moteling it is easy-peasy.   I enjoy both!

Lannis  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:20:02 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »

Clothing
   Helmet w/bag
   Gloves
   Socks (1+1)
   Underwear (1+1)
   Pants (1+1)
   Shirts (1+1)
   light weight  waterproof windbreaker
   Polar-tech  pull-over
   Aerostich Roadcrafter
   Motorcycle boots
   Walking shoes
   Shoe bags (2)
   Hat
   Silk Scarf

I use the helmet bag for holding dirty laundry
I wear clothing, and I pack a spare of the same.  That’s it.  I wash every night and start every morning with clean, dry clothes.  The key is to buy the right ones.  My shirts are TravelSmith fast-dry long-sleeve.  Underwear is Exofficio fast-dry.  Socks are smart-wool, pants are Dockers (not jeans) which pack slim and flat.
The polar-tech jacket is a pull-over thing that I can wear as a liner with the riding suit and off the bike as well (under the jacket).
I use a one-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter and have used it since 1993.  It works.  It’s waterproof (virtually) and I wear it all the time.
My boots are Sidi.
After I park the bike for the night, I immediately switch to my walking shoes (and then put the clothing in the sink to soak).  These were selected to be low (for thin packing) but with a very sturdy and aggressive sole for hiking (think of a thin hiking boot).
The shoe bags keep each shoe separate from everything else.
I wear the long silk scarf regardless of temperature.  It really makes everything more comfortable.
The belt I use can also be used as a tie-down strap if needed.  These are found in camping stores—very cheap.
When I walk around, I look nothing like somebody who arrived on a motorcycle.  Actually, with the black Dockers, walking shoes (not tennis shoes) and long sleeve shirt I look presentable enough for any restaurant I might be at in Europe.

Hi, Daniel.

I went to look at the shirts you described, and the only things close to that description that I could find on the TravelSmith site are the TravelSmith Qwik-Dry V-Neck T-Shirt and the TravelSmith Qwik-Dry Crewneck T-Shirt.  They have long-sleeve shirts, but nothing that I could find that indicated Fast-Dry or Qwik-Dry.  Would you be able to point me in the correct direction?  I prefer to ride with long sleeves.

Oops, I think I might have just found it: 

http://www.travelsmith.com/travelsmith-uber-utility-chambray-shirt/men/shirts/794360

The description indicates that it is fast-drying. 

Thanks,
Shaun

'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 09:02:12 PM »
I might have just found it..

The name has changed over the years, but the shirt looks the same:

"TravelSmith Hemisphere Original"

You only need to give the shirt a squeeze and hang it up.  It will be dry in the morning even if it's dripping in the evening.  It's a very high quality shirt.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 09:08:25 PM »
...No electronics.  Leave that crap at home...

Really; I think if somebody wants to carry a camera and a phone and a gps with them (was anything else mentioned?) the world will still turn.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
Really; I think if somebody wants to carry a camera and a phone and a gps with them (was anything else mentioned?) the world will still turn.

Well, I DID say "a little camera", although I generally like to let you take the pictures, because they're composed so much better and have so much better subject matter than mine will ever have.

Of course the world will still turn if people take their normal load of iPads and iPods and tablets and GPS and smartphones and dumbphones and this is the house that Jack built, but my suggestion is to leave all that stuff at home and maximize your time of experiencing the actual world and actual people rather than the virtual stuff that seems to have taken over .... Just my suggestion, mind you, I didn't manage to pass any sort of law about it ....  ;-T

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 09:27:40 PM »
I say don't waste a bunch of time planning and getting all the doo dads and go ride.

keep it simple, phone, credit card, toiletries and meds maybe Advil or something. Pack and wear old socks and undies and trash them as you go. I'd take a flask for the evening but that's just me. Put on the best riding gear you got and some tools and go have fun. Don't wait for anyone or anything. You'll only waste fun time.

Just go make some memories, you'll know what YOU need next trip.

And ride safely

Js
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »
The name has changed over the years, but the shirt looks the same:

"TravelSmith Hemisphere Original"

You only need to give the shirt a squeeze and hang it up.  It will be dry in the morning even if it's dripping in the evening.  It's a very high quality shirt.

Thanks, Daniel.

Shaun

'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 10:09:48 PM »
toilet paper or an extra shirt.

redrider

Re: What You Packin?
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:44 AM »

dilligaf

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
Been doing this for years and years.  55 year later I still always pack to much.  Way to much.
When I left home it was 87 degrees.

Three weeks later it was around 32 degrees. It takes a lot of room to carry cold weather gear.

Around the end of June, on that ride, I shipped home about 45 pounds of gear.  Motorcycle was much more enjoyable.
For a overnight at a motel all you need, in addition to normal seasonal riding gear, is a shaving kit.  ;D  And I'm not all that sure you need that.   But, as long as you have room carry as much as you want.  I always have a camera, cell phone, credit card, cash, AAA card.  What ever tool came with the motorcycle. 
AAA card and a cell phone-always.

:BEER:
Matt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »

For a overnight at a motel all you need, in addition to normal seasonal riding gear, is a shaving kit.  ;D  And I'm not all that sure you need that.   

And that's sort of the question I was answering, and suggesting minimalist luggage.   

A very enjoyable thing to do, by yourself, is to ride, say 500 miles to the west of your home, and get a motel room.   Next day, ride 500 miles northeast, and get a room.   Next day, ride home.

You don't have to make any plans, you just ride all day and look at the scenery and meet people at mom-and-pop restaurants and overlooks and gas stops, and talk, and see more sights, and relax with your feet up with a pizza and a diet Pepsi on the plastic chair in front of the motel room at night.

For a trip like that, you don't need any more than what I suggested earlier.   

You need MUCH more stuff than that if: 

1) You have to do something or look like something at your destination.
2) You're camping.
3) You're riding to a place 6,000 miles from home in dodgy weather.

But just for bimbling around for a few days?    Free yourself up!

Lannis

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 08:14:40 AM »
Oh oh!  I almost forgot baby wipes.  Multitude of uses including wiping the occasional baby.
Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

dilligaf

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
And water.  I always carry water.    :BEER:
Matt

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »
I always take my older socks-tees-undies that were getting close to getting rid of and do just that to lighten up the load as I go, I'll use the old tees to check the oil and such, then if I find a cool tee somewhere I'll have room for it :BEER:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 09:07:50 AM »
Quote from dilligaff:
And water.  I always carry water.

:+1
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

tusong200

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
I'm in 100% agreement with Lannis (on this one:-)). For a weekender you don't need much.

A standard travelling rule that I have followed for many decades (two wheeling or DC10'ing) is "take less stuff and more money"!!!

However!!!... (call me old school) I don't leave home without my 30 year old hand-held Uniden CB radio. It's always tucked into the side pocket of my tankbag (which virtually never comes off the bike). It has saved my ass on many occasions. Nothing will get you help faster, especially on the interstate.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
I'm in 100% agreement with Lannis (on this one:-)). For a weekender you don't need much.

A standard travelling rule that I have followed for many decades (two wheeling or DC10'ing) is "take less stuff and more money"!!!

However!!!... (call me old school) I don't leave home without my 30 year old hand-held Uniden CB radio. It's always tucked into the side pocket of my tankbag (which virtually never comes off the bike). It has saved my ass on many occasions. Nothing will get you help faster, especially on the interstate.

Now that we've gotten into real detail, I will say that my little kit includes a pocket-pack of baby-wipes (unscented and flushable; keeps a boy neat and clean when used on potentially moist patches), and I do generally strap a pint or liter of water in an easy-to-reach place on the bike.

I can't think of any occasions where a CB radio would have "saved my ass" over the years, though.   The only thing I know about CB radios is that when one of the local boys pulls up in my yard in his pickup truck and tells me that the hunt club has shot a deer on the timber-company land next to me, and the deer expired on my side of the river and can they go in after it?   ....  that his CB radio seems to be full of excited, screaming "hunters" trying to tell each other where the deer is and there's one about to cross the highway at the pipeline and Red might get a shot at it if he looks right now out the window of his truck....  ;)

But if you know how to use it, that's a good thing!

Lannis

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »
I was curious as to what riders pack on let say a weekend trip. Just hotels for the night.

I know it sounds noob of me ::), but I've never taken bike trips. This summer I plan on doing a few.

All you'll need is a tank bag for that kind of trip. And/or a small set of saddlebags.

1) small tool kit and tire plug kit for the bike.
2) toiletries.
3) an extra set of socks and underwear.  And swim trunks if you want to hit the pool or hot tub.

That's pretty much it for an overnighter/weekend trip.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »
That's pretty much it for an overnighter/weekend trip.

Of course, there's no right or wrong in a list like this, but I'm surprised that more people don't include walking shoes as a standard pack item (even for a single overnight).  After the ride, about the very first thing I do is take off the riding boots and put on the shoes (even though my boots are comfortable).

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
Of course, there's no right or wrong in a list like this, but I'm surprised that more people don't include walking shoes as a standard pack item (even for a single overnight).  After the ride, about the very first thing I do is take off the riding boots and put on the shoes (even though my boots are comfortable).

True.   I didn't think about that, but I do usually carry some walking shoes or light hiking boots when travelling.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »

When I was wearing my Sidi Aerostich "Combat Touring" boots all the time, I did the same.   I still wear them when there is much riding and little walking in the plan, although they're good for a mile or so of walking before you start thinking "Why didn't I bring something else?"

But when I'm packing light, and there MIGHT be some considerable walking to do, I wear my Timberland zip-side boots.   They're as comfortable as anything else I have to walk in, and they provide a goodly amount of protection on the bike (besides being waterproof).   Not as protective as purpose built motorcycle boots, but sometimes the comfort on a "mixed" day of walking and riding is worth it in the big equation ....

Lannis

Online geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
Seriously Geoff, nuts & bolts?

Yep.  I would rather have them and not need them....

It's kind of a holdover from my Brit bike and Harley days.

The heated vest is a good idea, depending on the time of year.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Vasco DG

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
I travelled for about a month up and around the West Coast of the U.S. on the Griso Pinko back in 2010, (Good grief! Five years ago!). Everything I needed fitted in the tank bag and tail pack and most of the tail pack was full of lap-top, Navigator and some hand tools, far too many tools in fact, I didn't need any of them!

Over here nowadays if I'm just 'Weekending' it a tank bag is all I really need but I still tend to over-pack.

Day trippin'

Pete
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:33:40 AM by Vasco DG »

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
 Might seem silly , but I never leave on even a day trip W/O a couple of nicely broken in cotton bandanas . Preferably a white one and a red one . Can be used for a myriad of purposes , medical , to signal for help , even "I surrender" in case of enemy attack  ;D

Dusty

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
For any MC trip, I like to have with me:

12V compact air compressor. (The Slime brand "Powersports" compressor is a good one at a good price; I don't trust CO2 cartridges.)
I highly recommend this kit -- it has served me well for many years and has saved me from being stranded with flat tires on two separate long-distance trips:

SAE plug hard-wired to the battery (to power the above air compressor (and other things) without having to unload the bike or remove the seat)

(Good idea to make sure it is fused and that you bring an extra fuse.)

SAE-to-USB connector cord (to charge USB devices, such as cell phones and digital cameras)

tire plug kit (either gummy-worm type, with reamer and insertion tools, knife or sharp scissors, and fresh (check before leaving!) rubber cement, or the "Stop-n-Go" brand kit)

tire pressure gauge (I find that a digital gauge with lighted dial travels best.)
small LED flashlight with fresh batteries
LED head light with fresh battery (i.e., camping style light to strap on your head -- makes it possible to light what you're working on if you're alone)
stock tool kit, plus a few supplemental tools (e.g., Allen wrenches, select sockets and compact driver), depending on the bike
zip ties (assorted)
Duck (or duct) tape
crimp-style electrical connectors
spare headlight and tail light bulbs
spare fuses
a few spare assorted bolts and fasteners
microfiber cloth
cotton cloth
nitrile gloves
small first aid kit
Swiss Army-style knife
Leatherman-style multi-tool
health insurance ID card
cash and credit cards
maps / passport / visas / other travel documents
driver's license and (if required) insurance card (duh!)
Roadside Assistance card (I have coverage via the AMA)
current vehicle registration papers and up-to-date tag (via sticker in Fla.)
spare clutch and brake levers (too paranoid?)

This looks like a long list, but most of the items are very small and light, and it's easy to pack them creatively to take up very little space.

In addition to the above, I am toying with the idea of getting one of these:

It's a portable jump-starter / USB charger.  For around $100, you can have enough power to jump-start a vehicle, run USB-powered devices, etc., whenever and wherever you need it.  I have not needed one on any of my trips, yet, as I tend to keep the batteries of my vehicles in good working order, but one never knows...

I keep Crampbuster throttle rockers on my travel bikes; my gf prefers her Vista Cruise; others like the Throttlemeister.  I recently bought an Omni-Cruise from Lee Parks, but have yet to try it.  

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/omni-cruise-throttle-lock/  
Whichever you prefer, I recommend you get something like this on your bike so you can give your right hand a little relief from time to time.

As for MC gear, travel clothing, and personal items, others have covered most of the points I would make.  The ones I will emphasize are:

Bring a spare set of MC gloves. (I prefer to bring a pair of lightweight (non-insulated) waterproof gloves as my back-up pair, plus a pair of glove liners if I need extra warmth.  Riding with wet gloves is a bummer, and once your primary gloves get wet (which will eventually happen), they will take forever to dry out).

Bring a rain suit, and wear waterproof boots (or bring waterproof overboots) -- if only to ensure that it will not rain during your trip.  ;)

Pack a spare face shield. (I travel with one clear and one dark smoke.) Keep the extra shield in a tube sock or better yet in a wearable shield travel bag like this:

Small bottles of sunscreen and bug spray.

Pepper spray.  (Or bear spray -- depends on where you're going!)

Don't forget your eyeglasses and/or sunglasses.

A ball cap or other small fold-able hat to hide helmet-hair when you're off the bike.

A small cable-style gear lock for your helmet and jacket, and a disc lock for the bike, so you can enjoy your time off the bike with less worry.  (I try to keep all valuable items and most emergency items in a tank bag that can convert to a shoulder bag or backpack, and take that with me when I'm off the bike.  That way, mostly what is in the bags that I leave on the bike is my laundry.  Who wants someone else's laundry?)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:45:19 AM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »
This is how I was loaded for the last Colorado not-a-rally in 2013 (mine is the red 850T on the right). Three-day trip, set up for camping, but I had too much stuff -- I've pared it down a lot and would now do it with a smallish tank bag in place of the extra set of panniers.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:53:03 AM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
 Of course missing from all of this great advice are the four most important items to always carry on a MC trip .

1. Sense of wonder and adventure
 2. Sense of humor
 3. Common sense
 4 Your motorcycle

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here