Author Topic: Forkupgrade: FAC + progressive springs = bottom out ?  (Read 14868 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Forkupgrade: FAC + progressive springs = bottom out ?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
I had the same problem with my V7C.  It has a mupo progressive spring kit with an emulator.  I started with 10W oil, but had too much dampening.  I wound up using Motorex 2.5 weight oil and worked great.  No bottoming, and perfect dampening.  I wanted to be able to abruptly compress the forks and release them.  They should go down, come back up, and then settle a few millimeters. 

T5 only uses oil/ATF for lube.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline StubkierDK

• New Egg
Solve :=)
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 02:40:55 PM »
Hey All

Practices makes perfect - after having reduced the removal, disabling, check, resembling and remounting to 60 minutes I finally found  the error :-)

The upper forktubes are to long - this was the last part i checked. As mention I ordered a set of new ones - but forgot to check that they had the same length as the old. Here you can see the difference between the two

So Charlie B perhaps you should check the length of yours?

Now  :bike :bike :bike

Moto Guzzi 850 T3 @ 1978

Online JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
Hey StubklerDK,  How is the suspension now that you have the new fork tubes? 

What is the length of your travel now? 

One last question what is the correct length of the fork tubes?

My T3 seems to bottom out and make an awful noise.  I have the wurth springs and FAC dampers.  I am going to dissemble my forks soon and was curious to know if you finally fixed the problem.

JBU

Red Dog

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 04:03:33 PM »
Just a quick add on here.
A long time ago I rebuilt the forks on Red Dog (my avatar) I had never been into forks before except on the old ElDorado I hit the deer with, now there was a complicated front end compared to the T's.

I went to MG Cycle's site to order & found two different length springs, fork tubes & maybe dampers (been too long to remember).
I called them and asked about it & was told that early T's had shorter tubes & later models had longer tubes & all the internals had to match.
So I pulled mine apart & measured & it was the shorter set up.
That was the best handling Guzzi I have ever been on.

Since then I have seen many different combinations on T series Guzzi's: Single springs, double springs, long & short tubes, different lengths on the rods.  I have often wondered why there were so many different set ups.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 04:03:33 PM »

Online JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »
I had some time today to take the forks off the bike.  It looks like I may have assembled the wirth springs the wrong way.  Can someone please let me know which way the spring needs to be oriented?  Right now the tightly wound part of the spring is on the bottom.  From reading this posts it seems like it should be the other way around.  I am correct?

JBU

Offline StubkierDK

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 02:31:47 AM »
Hey StubklerDK,  How is the suspension now that you have the new fork tubes? 

What is the length of your travel now? 

One last question what is the correct length of the fork tubes?

My T3 seems to bottom out and make an awful noise.  I have the wurth springs and FAC dampers.  I am going to dissemble my forks soon and was curious to know if you finally fixed the problem.

I went back to the old (short model) and it is handling fine :)
Moto Guzzi 850 T3 @ 1978

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »
I've had the 200cc lock up the fork travel, while making it the 65 was right...

Guzziology has a lot to say...I believe the G5/Vert oem dual springs and longer travel was a common refit to T/T3...or aftermarket Wirth or Progressive springs, fac dampener...just had to raise the forks in the triple a touch so the center stand would work again...and to sharpen the steering back a bit
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online JBU

• Gosling
    • www.joelurruty.com
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 06:47:10 AM »
well i will be putting the forks back together with the springs in the correct direction this time and see what difference it makes.  I was probably distracted when I assembled them the first time. 
JBU

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here