Author Topic: I want to cleana and grease EV 11 steering head How do I get the chrome cap off  (Read 2548 times)

pescarr

The manual tells you to adjust there, it is a round chrome cap, it must come off but how? This is on an 1998 ev 11 cali

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Having a bit of a time figuring out what 'chrome cap' you are talking about. If you mean the one at the top of the steering stem, the top triple tree slides off it. The wrenching feature is below.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Vasco DG

Without looking at the parts diagram I'm not certain but is there a 'button' in the middle of the cap on the stem? If so you'll find if you pry it out with a small flat bladed screwdriver there is a 10mm hex in the cap underneath that you use a key in to undo the nut.

Pete

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Step away from the tools and nothing will get hurt....

~;
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
My bad! Yes on top of triple tree
I think it is 5 on this schematic
http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/1990-2000-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/california-ev-v11-ev-usa-1100-1997-2000/front-fork-en-california-1100-ev.html

On that drawing, #5 is a washer (cup) over the rubber washers in the bar clamp. You just undo the nut (#10) underneath.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Without looking at the parts diagram I'm not certain but is there a 'button' in the middle of the cap on the stem? If so you'll find if you pry it out with a small flat bladed screwdriver there is a 10mm hex in the cap underneath that you use a key in to undo the nut.

Pete
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

pescarr

OK this was actually very easy, there is a small plug on top of the chrome cup, when you pop that plug out it exposes a 8 mm allen fitting that screws onto top of triple tree

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here