Author Topic: balance pipes/crossovers  (Read 8828 times)

redrider

balance pipes/crossovers
« on: March 11, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
Has anyone compared the power curves and such for a big block running straight headers vs the same bike with the balance pipe up front? I ask because my Norton tuning guide states the balance pipe's sole purpose is noise reduction and should be scrapped in favor of straight headers into a low restriction muffler. The two engines share rpm ranges. And my Sport 1100 does not have one. Curious in Columbia.

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re: balance pipes/crossovers
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »

Well someone must have, possibly the engineering dept at Guzzi.  The intent of the forward crossovers were to increase mid-range perfomance on the 1100's.

Is there a difference in the output or performance between the configurations...?  I cannot swear to it but I personally have not done a pipe swap then dynoed an engine either.

Are ou talking about a current, new version Norton or a Vintage Norton.../

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:57:49 PM »
All 4 stroke twins w/crossover use it to flow more exhaust, one pipe into two. As the motor runs, when it fires, it exits in 2 pipes, same for the other cyl.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:12:55 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »
All twins w/crossover use it to flow more exhaust, one pipe into two. As the motor runs, when it fires, it exits in 2 pipes, same for the other cyl.

And , a c rossover pipe allows for smaller less restrictive mufflers because of this . Maybe a race tuned engine , with no concern for noise levels will make more top end power on straight pipes running through open mufflers , most street engines won't . Of course , this discussion has started many a heated debate on WG , one ex member who had no experience with engines started sighting internet articles about how all internal combustion engines make more power on open pipes  ::)

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
Fixtit,  doesn't apply to 2 strokes as I have seen.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 03:19:42 PM »
When Todd@GuzziTech came up with his "crack-proof" headers for the V11 Sport/LeMans he ran them both ways, with and without front crossover, and did not see a measureable difference on the dyno. 

At least that's what he told me a few years ago when I was shopping headers for my Nero Corsa.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

redrider

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:23:51 PM »
I understand the model-pos and neg pressure waves, scavenging and such. If I had the equipment, I would test myself.

So Guzzi uses them to increase midrange but at the expense of low or high end? The 3k dip in power is present in all 3 of mine if you look at the charts. I'll look around for an animated power pulse/flow video.

The Norton tuning is from the old Haynes repair manual ('70's) with the performance section as the last chapter. Kind of rare as the other copy I have omits the section. I've only seen one and I have it.  

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 03:30:43 PM »
I understand the model-pos and neg pressure waves, scavenging and such. If I had the equipment, I would test myself.

So Guzzi uses them to increase midrange but at the expense of low or high end? The 3k dip in power is present in all 3 of mine if you look at the charts. I'll look around for an animated power pulse/flow video.

The Norton tuning is from the old Haynes repair manual ('70's) with the performance section as the last chapter. Kind of rare as the other copy I have omits the section. I've only seen one and I have it.  

:D :D :D :D

Yeah , I have a Haynes manual for BMW printed in '75 with a performance tuning section in the back . Some of it is simply incorrect  ;D

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
I think there are two things being presented here -- the FRONT crossover on an 1100, and the BALANCE PIPE concept.  I tossed my hydro's front-x-over pipes because they were getting warm all over my atf cooler ('vert content).  I noticed no difference.  I've also run with no mid-x-over and think the bike feels 'restricted' or 'congested' by comparison.

Has anyone compared the power curves and such for a big block running straight headers vs the same bike with the balance pipe up front? I ask because my Norton tuning guide states the balance pipe's sole purpose is noise reduction and should be scrapped in favor of straight headers into a low restriction muffler. The two engines share rpm ranges. And my Sport 1100 does not have one. Curious in Columbia.

One of the more ignorant things I've read today, but I haven't gotten to the news yet.  That's where I generally go when I want to see facts disproved by opinion.   :D  I hope this is a bathroom book and not a technical reference.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
Oh, it's just 1960s/1970s tech.

Sort of like when you buy a set of long drag pipes, and to find the "optimum length", you go out and run the hell out of the bike.

Get back to the shop, you cut the pipes in a 45-degree cut at the point where the blue stops.

:bike
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »
Are the power pulses for a Norton vertical twin the same as a Guzzi V-twin?  I would think not.  Doesn't that render this a false comparison?
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

redrider

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
A twin is two singles on a common crankshaft. Getting both to behave as one is an art.

190 Octane

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »
The front crossover on my Hydro caught my alternator cover when the bolts vibrated off.  So, they are at least good for that.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 05:49:25 PM »
A twin is two singles on a common crankshaft. Getting both to behave as one is an art.

Just a bit of tuning...not art. A 360 Brit twin and a 90 degree Guzzi respond differently to exhaust systems. The balance pipe location can be varied to change the engine power band up or down within limits of the cam and intake

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
This is purely seat of the pants report but a few years back my crossover pipe on my T-3 rusted through. A local muffler shop made two adapters for me to eliminate the crossover and go straight from the headers to my cheap Emego mufflers (snapping suspenders, really need a icon for that) for $15. I Cannot tell any performance or sound difference.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 11:07:44 PM »
The original owner of my 04 Stone Touring put a Stucchi crossover and Mistral "silencers" on it, plus a PC-III with a map by Todd Egan and a Ferracci airbox.  I hate loud bikes and removed all but the PC-iii.  Found no difference in performance. 

Later, as an experiment, I put that Stucchi crossover on my totally standard 03 Stone Touring.  Could not tell any difference.  Removed it and again, no difference.  The one proven advantage with the Stucchi crossover is that gearbox oil changes are a lot easier. 

Both bikes deliver a consistent 44-45mpg.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 11:15:03 PM »
The original owner of my 04 Stone Touring put a Stucchi crossover and Mistral "silencers" on it, plus a PC-III with a map by Todd Egan and a Ferracci airbox.  I hate loud bikes and removed all but the PC-iii.  Found no difference in performance. 

Later, as an experiment, I put that Stucchi crossover on my totally standard 03 Stone Touring.  Could not tell any difference.  Removed it and again, no difference.  The one proven advantage with the Stucchi crossover is that gearbox oil changes are a lot easier. 

Both bikes deliver a consistent 44-45mpg.

Ralph                                               

Interesting Ralph . Yes , the only place for loud bikes is at a race track .

Dusty

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 02:59:22 AM »
On my bike (LM II) there is a crossover both in the header pipes and another under the gearbox. The front XO is so close to the alternator cover that I have to remove the header pipes to remove the cover, that's a royal pita if you just want to check charging. I wonder if it will make any difference if I use plain pipes without the XO.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:22:05 AM by dan_s »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 03:40:32 AM »
I did just that and noticed nothing but lower blood pressure.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 04:31:27 AM »
The front crossover on my Hydro caught my alternator cover when the bolts vibrated off.  So, they are at least good for that.
It caught a friends wallet, he canceled all his cards and wondered what the smoke was when he filled up with gas the next day.
Personally I think the front crossover is fugly.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 06:01:45 AM »
  :D :D :D :D

Yeah , I have a Haynes manual for BMW printed in '75 with a performance tuning section in the back . Some of it is simply incorrect  ;D

Dusty

On the MZ forum, the Haynes manual is called The Book of Lies..  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here