Author Topic: Recommended wheel balancers?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
Recommended wheel balancers?
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »
I am looking for a quality wheel balancer that is versatile to do both double sided and single sided swingarms (such as what Guzzi CARC bikes would need). Tachyon sells kits which have adapters for both:http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/balancer/tachyon-wheel-tire-balancer/. Any recommendations?
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Recommended wheel balancers?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »
I am looking for a quality wheel balancer that is versatile to do both double sided and single sided swingarms (such as what Guzzi CARC bikes would need). Tachyon sells kits which have adapters for both:http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/balancer/tachyon-wheel-tire-balancer/. Any recommendations?

Or just throw in some balance beads and be done with it. 2 Ounces in the front and 1 ounce in the rear. No more ugly wheel weights to look at.

I have changed about 80 tires for friends and mostly from an add I put on CL over the last two years. I have used exclusively Counteract Teflon coated balance beads and have not had one complaint. In fact when I get a repeat customer I keep their old balance beads for my tires and give them new ones.

If you insist on buying a static balance I suggest you get the least costly one you can fine that matches your needs. HF sell one and they also have a different cone that works on some single sided swing arm type that works just as well as something priced 5x as much/ It isn't rocket science. Its an axle, two wheel cones, rollers and a support frame.

At or even well above legal road speed a tire that is even remotely balanced will be smooth.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:42:12 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »
Although I use a balancer from No-Mar (http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product_p/bl-standard.htm) there are lots of very similar, and less expansive, options.  They all rely on ultra low friction bearings, a very smooth axle shaft, and some kind of cones to adapt to your wheel. 

No-Mar offers a wide range of delrin cones but I ended up turning my own adapters for both the Stelvio and V7.  The supplied cones were OK for the Stelvio (single side swing arm, large tapered hole in the wheel) but the one I made is less fiddly.  The V7 axle hole was too small for the cones I had so I made a sleeve to fit the .500" axle and the .640" wheel hole.  This was no big deal and allowed me to play with my lathe.

This same balancer has worked on my ST2, Multistrada, G650GS, R75/6, Norge, and a few friend's bikes.  The key is getting the cones you need for your application, no matter what brand balancer you get...or if you make your own stand.  As for the difference between single side swingarm and a traditional swingarm, that's really a matter of the size of the hole in the wheel.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »
I've used Marc Parnes wheel balancer on older MGs and BMWs and newer single swing arm BMW for years, quality tool.
Don't bother w a fancy stand just put jack stands on your work bench.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
I use Ride-on http://www.ride-on.com/ in the tires on my Bassa. Took off the old lead weights and it works great.  ;-T
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:33:25 AM »
 Greetings tonyduc, I bought one similar to this and built my own stand http://www.ebay.com/itm/331505281879?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Balanced BMW single side wheels,KLR Guzzi and Honda without a problem
. Look to Ebay for your weights. Pays for itself first time you use it! :bike

Paul B :BEER:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:45:02 AM by RinkRat II »
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:45:09 AM »
I've used Marc Parnes wheel balancer on older MGs and BMWs and newer single swing arm BMW for years, quality tool.
Don't bother w a fancy stand just put jack stands on your work bench.
:+1 Works on my Triumph and V7C with no special adaptors.
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:50:55 AM »
The HF balancer works great on my Stelvio's wheels.  No adapter needed for rear. I saw no need to spend big bucks on very basic tool, (sorry MP) Ive done my Stelvio and Griso's wheels and never had any issues with vibration or tire wear.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
I also use a Mark Parnes static balancer and like it. Precision made with dual ball bearings, just specify which bikes you plan to use it on and they will supply the proper cones with the unit. A couple jack stands or saw horses are all you need to prop it up. Have never tried the beads, but I have heard they can get stuck in the valve stem if you not careful.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here