Author Topic: Will A Corbin California III Seat Fit On A '98 EV?  (Read 4671 times)

Bill Havins

Will A Corbin California III Seat Fit On A '98 EV?
« on: March 21, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »

Corbin makes a "dual touring seat for the California III:  http://corbin.com/motoguzzi/cali3.shtml.

The dual touring seat they offer for the '98 EV and similar just isn't my cup of tea (the "slide" at the rear is really unsightly):  http://corbin.com/motoguzzi/ev1100.shtml

Has anyone ever tried to fit a Corbin Cal III dual touring seat on a '98 EV?

Thanks!

Bill

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Will A Corbin California III Seat Fit On A '98 EV?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 03:20:18 PM »
The seat pans are slightly different that it wouldn't be a perfect fit.  Anyone can correct.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
It will sit on your ECU, no space made on the pan. May not be short enough to get in front of backrest. Cali 3 had a different rack system.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »
Thanks Steve.  Had to remember the subtle differences.  The Cal III seat pan will fit if you cut out the pan.  The Jackal, Cali 1100i will fit the Cali III but there are enough difference that it's not a direct fit. 

Would be better to take the Corbin saddle and fit to a Cal III pan.  Highly possible.  If not something you'd like to do.  Take both seats to an upholsterer to do. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »

Bill Havins

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »

I've moved the ECU out of the way - it is not an issue.  Latches are not too hard to move and/or modify.

I would much prefer a "single" seat pan, rather than the two seat pans used on the '98 EV (one for the rider, one for the pillion).

I'm considering available "simple" single seat pan solutions,  I just don't have the time to "grow my own" right now.  The more I "don't have to do" the better the solution.  An afternoon's worth of modifications is okay - ten days' worth of fabrication isn't going to work.

Make sense?

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »
Just buy one from Corbin then.  Sounded like you bought one or was trying to adapt one.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
Would you consider modifying the stock seat?  This guy has a very good reputation:
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
Bill wants the one piece seat option.

Bill Havins

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
Just buy one from Corbin then.  Sounded like you bought one or was trying to adapt one.

I'm a cheap penny-pinching kind of a guy Guzzi owner.  I'm not much into "throwing money" at an experiment without doing my homework, first.  ;)  Especially when the numbers start approaching $500.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 02:45:13 PM »
At this point.  Good luck.

Bill Havins

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »

I've exchanged emails with Corbin (they were quick to get back to me - Thanks, Corbin!).  Anyway, it looks like it's a "no go."  Their "duo tour" seat for the EV "folds up" onto the stock backrest - it's a very dated look and not my cup of tea.  Their seat for the Cal III is a more traditional "king-and-queen" design and is almost okay, but they didn't say it would fit my EV.

As it turns out, Todd at GuzziTech had a California Vintage seat on ebay at a very reasonable price.  There are two threads here on WildGuzzi where forum members have adapted Vintage seats to a '98 EV and, IIRC, an '01 California something-or-other.  So, I bought the seat from Todd and will make adaptations to fit my taste and Judy's, er, preferences.  ;)

Onward and upward...

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
Good to hear that you have it worked out. ;-T

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 06:33:17 PM »
Ii ran the same seat on y Cal3, Cal1100 and '98 EV. Moved it from bike to bike. Not a problem Yes it did indeed have a cut-out for the brain. I finally sod the '98 EV with the Corbin seat on it, but had well over 100,000 miles on that seat between the three bikes.

Bill Havins

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 12:13:38 PM »
I had some marine vinyl left over from an earlier project so I chose to recover the Cal Vin seat I got from Todd at Guzzitech.  I did a couple of "foam inserts" in the original Guzzi foam to create more accommodating and comfortable bum contact areas.  In the end, the seat is about 1/2" lower than the stock seat on my EV.

I had to fashion a new mount for the seat latch mechanism.  I may eventually get a "real" upholsterer to build a better seat cover, but, for now, it's a very comfortable seat and riding position.  Well worth the time and effort.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:15:17 PM by Bill Havins »

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 08:02:16 PM »
Looks good!  ;-T  Can I send a seat over for servicing.  ;D

Bill Havins

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »
If you don't mind waiting a bit.  I have to wait until Judy's not around to use her sewing machine... :wife:  :+=copcar

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
"They" do get bent out of shape when their stuff is used for other purposes.    ;D

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here