Author Topic: Anodized aluminum tank  (Read 4945 times)

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Anodized aluminum tank
« on: March 23, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »
Just curious if anyone has or has seen a clear anodized aluminum tank.  I have a partially polished/ partially raw tank the I just want a clear anodizing.  I've seen clear laquers and clear powder coats that turn yellow.  I called Ano-tech and asked for some advice, what I want is a military spec clear anodize.  I was told the anodizing makes the tank look titanium (good in my book) but you lose luster on the polished parts.  (They do a chemical etching prior to the anodizing)  Anyone see a clear anodized tank?

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anodized aluminum tank
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »
 :beat_horse
I think the issue will be that the grade of aluminium they use to build tanks will not be anodiseable.
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »
:beat_horse
I think the issue will be that the grade of aluminium they use to build tanks will not be anodiseable.
Ciao

It's normally not that it can't be anodized, but that it won't be a bright, clear coating.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
I would think a shiny aluminum tank would be too distracting/blinding to drive on a sunny day.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »
It's normally not that it can't be anodized, but that it won't be a bright, clear coating.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. 

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:13 AM »
Thats what I meant. 2000 series sheet can be anodised but it leaves a powdery residue/surface which is effectivley rubbish.
Ciao   
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »
Malleable alloys like 5000 and 6000 series can be anodized.  These are usually the series used in hand formed tanks.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:43 AM »
You can anodize it easily enough- but the surface won't look like a mirror anymore.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »
Newer automotive paints are catalyzed and UV resistant (according to my painter) and should hold up well. Everything I've had that was anodized has faded to a weird color over time.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »
Everything I've had that was anodized has faded to a weird color over time.

Most of the anodizing you see is clear anodized, and then dyed to color with an organic dye.  Those dyes fade over time, sometimes pretty quickly, especially if exposed to sunlight.  There are anodizing processes that create the color in the oxide coating, and it won't fade.  Unfortunately those colors are not always desirable.  The Martin Hardcoat process makes a dark grey color that won't fade on alloys like 6061, and that can look good in some applications.

The good news is that anodizing of any color is a porous oxide coating, and makes a great base for paint.  Where aluminum is often difficult to get paint to adhere to in the long term, anodized aluminum usually isn't difficult.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
Thanks guys, the process I was looking at was what Jim mentioned, where the color does change to a darker color, many layers of anodizing.  Price quoted was cheap (in my opinion) at $180.  I didn't know about fading, but that makes sense.  I'm starting to think I'll just keep the tank as is, but I appreciate everyones help :)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
Just to clarify, if you get the Martin Hardcoat type, it will be opaque, matte, and depending on alloy, probably dark grey.  That type of anodizing is often used when you need a hard, wear-resistant surface.  The oxide layer is way thicker than decorative anodizing, and can be around one thousandth of an inch thick.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Just to clarify, if you get the Martin Hardcoat type, it will be opaque, matte, and depending on alloy, probably dark grey.  That type of anodizing is often used when you need a hard, wear-resistant surface.  The oxide layer is way thicker than decorative anodizing, and can be around one thousandth of an inch thick.
Ah, it might be different than what I heard.  Ano-Tech offers the decorative single pass anodizing, and also a military spec multiple step process where the aluminum is chemical etched beforehand, and goes thru many different washes.  According to the person I talked to, they call this hard coating and is often used in abusive environments, like the boat industry, aero industry, and military .
This is my half rough/knee polished tank I was thinking of getting the hard coat 
How do you expect the Martin Hardcoat will affect the polished part, will it look like a dark satin?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:22:35 AM by NCAmother »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
The hardcoat anodizing I've had done will completely hide the aluminum like dark grey paint.  If your plater mentioned "hardcoat", he was probably referring to the Martin process.  He does it for a living though, so he's the one to ask about the final appearance.  I had it done to 6061-T6, and the chances are your tank is a different alloy.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here