Author Topic: cylinder barrel to case fit  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
cylinder barrel to case fit
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
The Kid is working on his cafe project (No Roper Content).  ;D
It has 1000cc barrels. He said when he tore it down it was really sloppy loose. He's going to call me back with dimensions. He's thinking that everything he has is junk.
As I've mentioned before, I'm no Guzzi mechanic. How should the barrels fit the case?
Edit:
I asked for some dimensions, and he said there was 1/16" slop. There was also a 1/16" shim under the barrels. I *assume* that was to lower compression, for whatever reason. He said the rod bearings were toast, and is wondering if the cause is the barrel to case fit. He's no Guzzi mechanic, either, but he's built a lot of airplane and automotive engines.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:24:11 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: cylinder barrel to case fit
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:46:39 PM »
What block, round cyl or square. There is plenty of clearance but not that much.
Once it goes on the studs it shouldn't move.
I have some base shims to lower compression but they are around .025"
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
What block, round cyl or square. There is plenty of clearance but not that much.
Once it goes on the studs it shouldn't move.
I have some base shims to lower compression but they are around .025"
It's a Frankenblock, I think. Had a spare convert/oil pan block with it,IIRC. It's been a couple of years, and my memory is about as long as my.. oh, never mind..  ;D
Thanks!

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dblue

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »
Chuck,
If it is the bike you got from me, give me a call. I have cylinder spigot measure
ments.

Dave
David Blue
dfblue46@outlook.com
937-210-8721

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:56:20 AM »
Is it possible it has 850 cylinders sleeved and bored to 1000, but with the original 850 spigot diameter placed in a 1000 case? This would give (roughly) .045'' clearance.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 05:33:50 AM »
Is it possible it has 850 cylinders sleeved and bored to 1000, but with the original 850 spigot diameter placed in a 1000 case? This would give (roughly) .045'' clearance.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like, or maybe convert cylinders turned down to fit the 850 case and put in a convert block. Looks like he needs some convert cylinders..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »
Looks like he needs some convert cylinders..

If that's the case (no pun intended), save the aggravation and buy Gilardonis.
Charlie

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
Cylinder to case clearance is by and large irrelivent unless it's compromised the strength of the cases or cylinder or is too tight. All the engines I have worked on inc Ducatis use locating dowels or sleeves on the case to cylinder interface that locates the two pieces. Clamping forces then transfer the loads.
Some engines may also use shoulders on the base of the cylinder studs from memory Suzuki water bottle engines were this way.
I have my Daytona engine apart at the moment but I can't remember the method it uses and I'm not able to look at it at present but I think it uses sleeves.
The base gasket is used in various thicknesses to set the squish dimension and seal the interface. Ducati engines these days use various thickness metal shims with 3 bond for the purpose. That's the method I'll be using on the Daytona engine when it goes back together. I'll need to make some shims.
Ciao
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:16:04 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here