Author Topic: Breva 1100 voes  (Read 7928 times)

w123driver

Breva 1100 voes
« on: April 12, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »
Hello folks, I acquired 2007 Breva 1100 some time ago that i can't start the bike. Hoping to find out what is the issue before taking her to the nearest MG dealer in Brooklyn, NY, which is 3 hr drive away...

So here it goes: The bike has only 1000 miles on it and looks new (I am not the original owner, bought off insurance auction, so no prior history is known). Initially, I couldn't get the starter turning. I ran the current straight from the battery and the starter turns fine, crankshaft is turning fine, but no ignition. The fuel pump primes fine when ignition is on. No malfunction light on the dash, the instruments come up fine. Spark plugs are there, all fuses are intact and spark plug wires appear intact. I though the side stand switch might be faulty, but in neutral, clutch lever squeezed - still nothing. I was advised this might be a Hall sensor issue (as a former BMW R1150 owner I know faulty Hall sensor can cause exact the same symptoms). I was wondering what do you think it can be, other that Hall sensor. How would you test Hall sensor. There must be no voltage at injector when cranking? Thank you for all inputs!

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
Re: Breva 1100 voes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 01:19:45 PM »
Can you hear the starter relay clicking when you press the start button?  The starter relay is under the seat, and it's the only one that has a yellow wire attached.  If it's clicking but the starter solenoid is not reacting, then it's probably bad battery, or poor connections on the battery or the ground strap (under the starter cover).

Watch the voltmeter on the dash, or better still connect an external one across the battery while you attempt the start.  If the battery voltage doesn't drop to a low reading, then connect a wire to the positive on the battery, and then when the starting is attempted, brush the other end of the wire on the back of fuse B.

If this gets a reaction, then you have the classic "startus interruptus" symptons.  Do a search for "Modern No Crank Starting" on the GuzziTech website for the solution.

w123driver

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
Dave,

I had the startus inperruptus issue (starter solenoid clicking, not turning) and did startus interruptus fix exactly as you describe. That cured the starter issue. Now  the starter is turning strong and turning the engine, but I can't get an ignition. I am thinking it is a separate issue from startus interruptus.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
Clogged petcock, junk in fuel lines/filter? Spark?
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »

Offline averb

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 04:51:25 PM »
The standard fuel filters are known to fail.
Steve

biking sailor

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
The standard fuel filters are known to fail.
Steve

Look in the tank for swirling fuel when first turning on and the fuel pump priming, if so hose or filter open.  Also look at the plugs after cranking to see if wet or dry, dry means no gas.  Mine had the filter come apart and the bike died immediately.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »
Where are you - there may be recommendations for closer Guzzi shops.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

w123driver

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »
Thanks guys! I am near Atlantic City, NJ

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:27 AM »
Bit of a long shot, but Tip over sensor? I've had the experience of trying to get the bike to start for 10 minutes after it tipped over with no results. I don't have the starter system bypassed so it just didn't do anything whatsoever when I pushed the button I finally just grabbed the bike and gave it a series of hard up and down pushes and it started. The tip over sensors are very crude affairs on the Breva IIRC.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »
Thanks guys! I am near Atlantic City, NJ
Spare Parts in Philly or Sun Cycle in Manasquan NJ.  I don't have personal experience with either but have read some positive things about them both on WG.  When I lived down the shore, I would not have wanted to go to Brooklyn for anything routine due to traffic and roads.  You'll find huge knowledge on WG so you're in good hands.  Nic
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 06:00:44 AM »
If you decide you need help, I don't think Spare Parts works on something as new as a CARC bike.

Never heard of Sun Cycles.

They can be arrogant as hell, but FBF would be able to fix it for sure.

Maybe close to same distance as Brooklyn but Coopersburg Eurosports could handle it too.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

w123driver

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
Finally got back to my Breva this morning. I removed outer spark plugs, which were covered in black soot, not grey-sh as they should be. I installed some new Bosch plugs that I had in my garage and voila - the engine fired up  :D It ran very rough with different sound with clutch lever squeezed. I took the bike for short spin and it did feel underpowered and was shaking excessively and the exhaust was sneezing. Reminded my old VW Jetta that  was running on 3 cylinders most of the time. I ordered correct NGK on Amazon (nowhere to be found in local autoparts stores). At this point at least I know fuel delivery is probably OK. I wonder if this could be due to wrong outer plugs, or inner plugs might need to be replaced as well? I wonder what could have happened to a bike with just over 1000 miles on it for plugs to be in such a shape.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:29:37 PM by w123driver »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »
I think once you have all four correct plugs installed and fresh gas you are going to have a sweet runner !  Did it sit since 07 with fuel in it??

Next stop: 
all metal fuel filter, correct submersible fuel lines, and oetiker clamps 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 05:24:48 AM »
2007 with only 1000 miles on, do you think the previous owner may have got frustrated and given up?

Running rough could be an electrical problem.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2005_Breva_1100.gif
If it continues to miss-behave with new plugs monitor the output of the ECU relays (29) Red/Black wire then relay (30) pin 3 with a small lamp.
I'm just thinking the ECU may be dropping out because of an upstream fault/loose connection.
Wrap a small wire around the relay pin. Have the lamp at the bars where you can safely keep an eye on it.
If there's any sign of a flicker in the lamp while the bike is missing you have an important clue.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:40:41 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »
Put in correct plugs, as much fresh gas as possible, check valves, and run her for several miles.  Might need some waking up.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

w123driver

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »
Installed correct plugs and put fresh gas. She seems to warming up to me! does not feel underpowered any more. There are few issues that worry me, though. I took little cell phone video of the bike and posted on youtube here:

https://youtu.be/kCvSe2a1IVs

Let me know what you think.
1. There is noise from valve train that appears very similar to an engine with worn camshaft lobes. Perhaps you can hear it. More pronounced on cold engine.
2. There is a noise from transmission when clutch-in, as if the throw out bearing was bad.
3. I went through settings on the instrument cluster. When selecting "gearshift selector" (I suppose in this mode it shows which gear the bike is in), the tachometer hand jumps up to approx 8500 and 8400 is displayed on the LCD screen. Also, LCD appears fading out on lower left corner. Not a good sign...

So this is so far. I rode the bike more today and it is quite a different animal from my BMW r1200 sport tourer. Lots of character, surprisingly tall geared and feels very light. With the the same lean angle as with BMW, center stand (or something else) would touch the asphalt, though
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:03:38 PM by w123driver »

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 04:57:14 PM »
This Video Is Private
Sorry bout that

That is all I get after clicking on your link mate
The Guzzi dry clutches make different sounds according to whether or not the lever is pulled to the bar. In that position they are rattley ;D
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

w123driver

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »
Sorry, should be public now

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »
Initially, I couldn't get the starter turning. I ran the current straight from the battery and the starter turns fine, crankshaft is turning fine, but no ignition. The fuel pump primes fine when ignition is on.  
Can you elaborate on what you did there, did you bypass something?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:08:00 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

andrewdonald1

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 05:17:24 PM »
Installed correct plugs and put fresh gas. She seems to warming up to me! does not feel underpowered any more. There are few issues that worry me, though. I took little cell phone video of the bike and posted on youtube here:

https://youtu.be/kCvSe2a1IVs

Let me know what you think.
1. There is noise from valve train that appears very similar to an engine with worn camshaft lobes. Perhaps you can hear it. More pronounced on cold engine.
2. There is a noise from transmission when clutch-in, as if the throw out bearing was bad.
3. I went through settings on the instrument cluster. When selecting "gearshift selector" (I suppose in this mode it shows which gear the bike is in), the tachometer hand jumps up to approx 8500 and 8400 is displayed on the LCD screen. Also, LCD appears fading out on lower left corner. Not a good sign...

So this is so far. I rode the bike more today and it is quite a different animal from my BMW r1200 sport tourer. Lots of character, surprisingly tall geared and feels very light. With the the same lean angle as with BMW, center stand (or something else) would touch the asphalt, though

Sounded fine to me, both the engine noise and the dry clutch.  I haven't owned a Breva and its been about 6 years since I had a V11.
But nothing stood out to me.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
Dry multi-plate clutch rattle sounds perfectly mormal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
Sounds a lot like my 1200 Sport, with similar engine .... just a few more cc's.  I was concerned over similar noises when I first bought the bike in 2010.  I think I can find the video I took on YouTube.  If so I'll send you the link.

Bob

EDIT:  Here's the link I posted to this forum in 2010.  I think you'll find my 1200 Sport and your Breva 1100 sound quite similar.  I'm at 54000 miles, and she still makes lots of mechanical noises!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_bFuivaouU

I've never ridden a Breva 1100, but there is no 'what gear am I in?' display on these bikes.  I think what you were seeing is where (at least on my Sport) you can set the point where the 'redline' light begins flashing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:59:53 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here