Author Topic: HYOSUNG ?  (Read 20524 times)

justas696661

HYOSUNG ?
« on: April 20, 2015, 06:23:54 AM »
Hi all :)

still thinking to buy hyosung gt650cc 2007, and first of all - it sound like a china crap but looks like it's Korean, What u think about this bike ??? V form engine 650cc sound great but there is not that much Kw like others 650cc

that's me (test ride)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Re: HYOSUNG ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:46:41 AM »
Probably the wrong place to ask your question.

Personally, with all the phenomenal new product from most manufacturers at very competititve pricing, I don't know why anyone would roll the dice with something from China. If I wouldn't trust their QC with kids toys and pharmaceuticals, I certainly wouldn't bet my neck on a motorcycle. Sorry if this inflames the "China only produces crap because greedy, evil Western companies demand that they do" debate - but you asked for opinions. 

Call me a snob, but just having to tell people I ride a Hyosung, then repeat the name, then spell the name, then tell people it's built in PRC, then tell them that it's actually a lot of bike for the money ad infinatum would drive me nuts.

Seems like the legit Japanese firms have plenty of compelling product at the lower end of the spectrum (yes- and they are made in Thailand. No- I don't have any issue with Thai production lines). 
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:28:48 AM »
I'd buy a three year old used Japanese bike--and the related dealer networks and parts availability--rather than a brand new Hyosung.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline stephenm

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »
Hyosung bikes are made in South Korea.
Originally, Hyosung produced Suzuki engines under licence for the Korean market.
Since the 1980s, they have produced their own designs.
China is not involved.

Stephen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »

redrider

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:35:13 AM »
Hyosung from Korea was the frame maker for Suzuki when square tube frames were da bomb. The similarities with the VStrom show the bloodline. One of our training sites used the 250's briefly. Brake pads falling apart and no factory/dealer support. Ride it for what it is-disposable, like a Bic lighter.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:37 AM »
Hyosung from Korea was the frame maker for Suzuki when square tube frames were da bomb. The similarities with the VStrom show the bloodline. One of our training sites used the 250's briefly. Brake pads falling apart and no factory/dealer support. Ride it for what it is-disposable, like a Bic lighter.

I probably wouldn't buy one.   Our Honda dealer has VERY nice Hondas and Suzukis in all configurations for not much money.

I guess us of the generation that went through buying the original Japanese products (not motorcycles, but everything else) made out of GI beer cans and bomb casing scrap that had "Made in Japan" be a synonym for "Junk", and who see so much "Made in China" junk today, and who will probably see "Made in Borneo" go through the same thing, would rather not take a chance on the highways on something like this.   The extra money for a Suzuki of the same size and configuration really isn't that much.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »
It's like going to a steak house for a medium rare rib eye and having the waitress bring you tofu.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

bpreynolds

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »
I asked myself to answer this question and 2 people responded.   ???

First respondent:  Brian 12 years ago and getting his first ever street bike.  This Brian is 31 but hasn't ridden a motorcycle since he was 18 when rode dirt/motocross bikes from about the age of 8 to 18.  He knows absolutely nothing of branding, bike snobbery, nor dangers of lack of parts, etc., etc.   In some ways, this Brian "might" be a better respondent here.  
"Hyosung is made in Korea.  This GV250 is nicer than the other cruisers of the same size and actually looks like a real motorcycle.  Sharp too.  It's like $1500 less than the others as well.  I'm just buying this thing for transport only.  Better brakes and handling than a scooter.  I'm getting it"  

Second respondent:  Boring me now who has probably logged about 100k miles on bikes and owned about 10 or more motorcycles since.
"No.  And for the reasons mentioned."

For the record, I bought that brand new 250, drove it about 2500 very pleasing miles and it proved more reliable than many a more expensive motorcycle I owned afterwards.  Sold it to a guy who bought it for his wife - only lost about $500 off the very marked down sticker price I paid.  Would I do it again now having all my bike "knowledge" per se?  No.  Does the product substantiate such aversion?  Probably not.  I have not heard many horror stories with Hyosung and have certainly experienced far worse with many more reputable brands.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:27:52 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:41 AM »
PArdon my ignorance of this bike's lineage. Sounds like the same story with Sim, the Taiwanese manufacturer who has made the Honda Cub under license for decades. The Sim scooters are supposed to be very nice.  In this case, it seems like another firm just trying to run its own show. Who knows, they might become the next Samsung. I think the comment about dealer support might be my only hesitation in that case.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
Guzzi riders consider dealer support in their choice of bike  ??? So I guess the limited MG dealers is the limit.....any less and it is a problem.  ;D JK......kind of odd to hear "limited dealer support" as a factor in choosing a bike here.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
I've been to Korea quite a few times.  Almost every motorcycle I ever saw close enough to identify was a Hyosung.  Many of them are working motorcycles.  FWIW, Koreans are riding plenty of them.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »
Seems like an SV650 would be a better purchase, if that's the kind of bike you wanted...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

bpreynolds

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
Guzzi riders consider dealer support in their choice of bike  ??? So I guess the limited MG dealers is the limit.....any less and it is a problem.  ;D JK......kind of odd to hear "limited dealer support" as a factor in choosing a bike here.

I see dealer support as a central issue "because" I own a Guzzi.  Have I experienced parts delays?  Check.  Have I hauled a Guzzi over 250 miles for warranty work on multiple occasions.  Check.  Do I want yet another bike in my garage that is not a Guzzi that might entail these things?  Che...no.   :BEER:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:14:21 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:45:51 AM »
I've been to Korea quite a few times.  Almost every motorcycle I ever saw close enough to identify was a Hyosung.  Many of them are working motorcycles.  FWIW, Koreans are riding plenty of them.

Kind of hard to go by what folks in a completely different culture might be satisfied with, compared to what you or I might consider "satisfactory" performance, longevity, etc in the USA ... Not saying better or worse, mind you, just different.

Lannis

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
Seems like an SV650 would be a better purchase, if that's the kind of bike you wanted...

:+1
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

canuguzzi

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
Most of the negative things you hear have been said about Hyundai too but you see them all over the place and so far, I've seen more of everything else stuck along the road than Hyundais.

Out here I see a lot of Hyosung bikes. When it comes to dealer support, surely that can't be too much of a problem, this is a Guzzi forum ;D

It isn't like Kawasaki Ninja engines aren't being replaced so much that they are called expendable items eh?

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 01:01:35 PM »
Our Guzzi dealer in Prescott sells them, his parts guy races them and does pretty good. Think of it as a Korean Suzuki. If the bike fits you and your needs, go for it.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 01:06:01 PM »
I've been riding MCs for over 50 years and the 1 Suzuki twin I bought new has been the most trouble free bike I've ever owned.  ;-T  Most my other bikes have been Guzzi or Yamaha twins.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
In response to Pharmaceuticals, No antibiotics are made in the USA any longer. They are made in China or India. More and more things are being offshored in this country and someday it will come back to bite us.
I spent a lot of time in Korea, and those bikes are pretty dang durable. Koreans are not noted for keeping up on maintenance, and their bikes do take a beating.

Vasco DG

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »
The Hyosong 650's are basically an SV650. They are quite popular out here and are virtually trouble free as far as I can make out.

As far as their durability is concerned our local dealer told me a tale a few years ago now about a young Asian kid who had come here to do a big tour, I can't remember where he was from? Either Japan or Korea I'd expect. Anyway he'd never ridden a 'Manual' motorbike before, only twist and go scooters. He bought a Hyosong 650 and rode it across the Nullabor from Perth not realizing it had more than one gear! He apparently stuck it in first and then rode it at the limiter/valve bounce for 2,000 miles! It finally dropped a valve just outside Queanbeyan and was towed to the local shop where warranty was honoured and he got a whole new motor! I have no reason to doubt the veracity of this tale as the shop owner in question is perfectly honest and had nothing to gain by spinning me a line. He lives in Bungendore, I've known him for twenty five years or more. Apparently after they'd slotted the new motor in they took the young lad out and showed him the other five gears. He was mightily impressed! :D

Pete

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
A billion Hyo scooters in Taipei can't be wrong.  Those & Kymco's!
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
The Hyosong 650's are basically an SV650. They are quite popular out here and are virtually trouble free as far as I can make out.

As far as their durability is concerned our local dealer told me a tale a few years ago now about a young Asian kid who had come here to do a big tour, I can't remember where he was from? Either Japan or Korea I'd expect. Anyway he'd never ridden a 'Manual' motorbike before, only twist and go scooters. He bought a Hyosong 650 and rode it across the Nullabor from Perth not realizing it had more than one gear! He apparently stuck it in first and then rode it at the limiter/valve bounce for 2,000 miles! It finally dropped a valve just outside Queanbeyan and was towed to the local shop where warranty was honoured and he got a whole new motor! I have no reason to doubt the veracity of this tale as the shop owner in question is perfectly honest and had nothing to gain by spinning me a line. He lives in Bungendore, I've known him for twenty five years or more. Apparently after they'd slotted the new motor in they took the young lad out and showed him the other five gears. He was mightily impressed! :D

Pete

The days of judging something just because of where it is made should be a thing of the past.

The Chinese bought Pirelli BTW. You never know, they could buy Piaggio too.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »

The days of judging something just because of where it is made should be a thing of the past.

Why?   What's wrong with that?  

Not every country has the experience, labor force, or infrastructure to build every product.   If Ethiopia built a jet fighter, no military would buy it.

I would never have bought a Nano, Tatra, Lada, or Yugo either.   You can argue about whether they might be a piece of crap or whether it's because of where they're made.

I'm not sacrificing my safety and security on the "Kum Bah Yah Why Can't We All Live Together" PC altar.

Lannis
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:08:04 PM by Lannis »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 06:57:37 PM »
They have a warehouse right here in Norcross, GA, go by it every day.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »
The Ethiopians  ??? ;D
 Lannis , what in hell does any of this have to do with being PC  ???

Dusty

Welcome back!   We hear that everyone had a great time at the NAR.   I see that you are fully charged up, the "Kum Bah Yah" phrase search engine is active and working,  and you are ready to get back to regular Lannis-overchecking business now ....   ;)  .

The reason I said what I did was because of how the statement was phrased.  "The days of judging something just because of where it is made should be a thing of the past."   As if being discerning about what you buy, and using one's experience and the experience of others to make judgments about what to buy and what not to buy, is no longer true and should no longer be done by anyone.  

My ass-umption (KevM has forever sensitized me) is that this is because everyone should be considered equal, we should not be prejudiced about quality, metallurgy, and manufacturing just because they come from different places, because if we say (for example) that "Chinese cars are low quality compared to Japanese ones", then we are being bigots. (I know that Hyosung is Korean).

If I ass-umed too much, then it doesn't have anything to do with Ethiopian fighter jets; but then in that case I don't understand what the OP's "judgment" statement means at all.

Have a great evening.  Enjoyed the rally pictures ....

Lannis

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:17:33 PM by Lannis »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
If we used that sort of knee-jerk bigotry to make our purchase decisions we'd be using no electronic or mechanical devices at all.  Pry open any computer, toaster, auto, or bandsaw and you'll find offshore mfgr'd parts in all.  But since that model doesn't work in the real world, a guy has to add some hypocrisy to the bigotry to exclude the stuff he actually owns and uses.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
Id buy the red one, slap some Ducati stickers on it and ride the hell out of it. Seriously, if it fits your needs, budget, and you like it buy it and in all reality it will probably be very reliable and doesn't have desmo valves. :D

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
As Micheal Vick said, "I have no dog in this fight.."  ;D So. I don't know anything about those bikes except it looks kool. <shrug> I *do* remember when we laughed at the Datsun Fair Ladys, etc.. and they kicked our collective asses.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
Lannis , my question was simply about how any of this is related to PCness . And yes we had fun .

Dusty

And I just tried to answer you.  I think I did.   I buy all kinds of Chinese and Korean stuff that I know works.   My car is a Mazda/Kia, and it does good.    I think I'll wait till I see a few Hyosungs with 200,000 miles on them before I buy one myself!    

I'm holding off for the 2015 ABS-model Chang Jiang!

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
As Micheal Vick said, "I have no dog in this fight.."  ;D So. I don't know anything about those bikes except it looks kool. <shrug> I *do* remember when we laughed at the Datsun Fair Ladys, etc.. and they kicked our collective asses.

And now the Japanese are getting rich, and not quite so hungry any more, and someone (Malaysia?   Indonesia?   Nauru?) who IS hungry and where people are willing to work for $.75 an hour will develop products that will kick THEIR collective asses ... It's a global world, if I can say it that way .....   ;)

Lannis

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here