Author Topic: HYOSUNG ?  (Read 20515 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Re: HYOSUNG ?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
Hey Lannis, you hater, some of my best friends have Ethiopian fighter jets.

Let's get this straight, folks, I was the first person to open the flood gates of hypocricy and bigotry in this thread. I also rolled bck my first post when I found out Hyo's are Korean. Why? ...because I'm not an equal opportunity bigot. Korean consumer manufacturing has been on a high quality track for many years now. The new Hyundais compared to the mid 80's versions are a great example.

Do I. It PRC stuff? Of course. Do I really have a choice?  In general, do I trust the integrity of manufacture? Of course not. Would I say the same about German , Swiss, Swedish, etc made products- of course not.  Evaluating the QC of products is a matter of nuts and bolts. The truly infuriating.g thing is when people get high minded and all "we are the world" about it.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
justas696661, You look damn fine on that bike! ;-T
How does it make YOU feel on it ??
Buy it, smother it with care,
~and ride the wheels off it !!   :bike                    .....(that last sentence was meant figuratively :BEER:)

Hi all :)

that's me (test ride)

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »
The Datsun bluebirds and fair ladies were built directly off of british blueprints (Rootes Group).  When I worked the line we often changed out fair lady suspension and brake parts with the Sunbeam Alpine-type 'equivalent' parts.  Some things like brake shoes used the same part#.  Some of the modern UJM marquees also started with british plans.  IIRC, during the reconstruction period, entire british factories were dismantled, shipped, and reassembled offshore.  in the 70s, a lot of GM's tiny models like the LUV pickup were independently produced offshore and distributed by the various GM lines, like Chevy.  It was the only way to change the production effort from making zeros and bombs to peacetime consumer stuff.

canuguzzi

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »
Why?   What's wrong with that?  

Not every country has the experience, labor force, or infrastructure to build every product.   If Ethiopia built a jet fighter, no military would buy it.

I would never have bought a Nano, Tatra, Lada, or Yugo either.   You can argue about whether they might be a piece of crap or whether it's because of where they're made.

I'm not sacrificing my safety and security on the "Kum Bah Yah Why Can't We All Live Together" PC altar.

Lannis

There was nothing I said that was a "Kum Bah Yah" anything.  A yugo made in the USA would still have been a Yugo, I bet they keys weren't falling out of their ignitions.

Who was asking you to sacrifice your safety and security for anything?

I had no idea. :o

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »

Kentktk

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
Why?   What's wrong with that?  

Not every country has the experience, labor force, or infrastructure to build every product.   If Ethiopia built a jet fighter, no military would buy it.

I would never have bought a Nano, Tatra, Lada, or Yugo either.   You can argue about whether they might be a piece of crap or whether it's because of where they're made.

I'm not sacrificing my safety and security on the "Kum Bah Yah Why Can't We All Live Together" PC altar.

Lannis
;-T :+1

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
:+1

The days of judging something just because of where it is made should be a thing of the past.

The Chinese bought Pirelli BTW. You never know, they could buy Piaggio too.

Sorry, NP, but your comment above really is holier than thou. If you really, really believe what you said- would you trust a car airbag that was made at a PRC factory that had no oversight from the original auto manufacturer? Acting purely independently, using their own in house design, no review, no SAE guidelines, no government regulations, and no threat of potential legal action- do you really trust that airbag with your life?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline EvanM

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:49 PM »
Doesn't Apple lots of stuff from China and other places famous for , er , well , you know  ~;

Dusty

:pop
2007 Breva 1100

canuguzzi

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 09:37:34 PM »
Sorry, NP, but your comment above really is holier than thou. If you really, really believe what you said- would you trust a car airbag that was made at a PRC factory that had no oversight from the original auto manufacturer? Acting purely independently, using their own in house design, no review, no SAE guidelines, no government regulations, and no threat of potential legal action- do you really trust that airbag with your life?

All that has nothing to do with quality of something made. Did the regulations and oversight help the people who died because Jeeps burned, Firestone  tires blew out or Chrysler Concorde racks gave way? I don't buy something based on the regulations, I buy because I think it will do the job, I have a reasonable knowledge of the quality and after that it is all a crap shoot.

All the legal action in the world doesn't save those already killed do they?  Like I said, who asked anyone to risk their safety for anything, buy what you want.

Judge the way you want too but then who is being holier than thou?

canuguzzi

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
Don't look now, I bet the smoke detector in your house is made in China. I bet the batteries in it are as well. Bet your life?

Good news, First Alert smoke detectors are made in Mexico.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:44:52 PM by Norge Pilot »

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »
A shop I used to take my SV650 to ran a hyosung 650 race bike. They had replaced a LOT of components in it to the point where not much was stock anymore, inside the engine and out. I know that the bike was mostly reliable.

I'd never buy a hyosung just because of the dealer/parts support being non-existent. Along the same lines, I'd never have bought a guzzi if I didn't have Moto International within driving distance.

The hyosung 650 has a nice styling compared to the SVs, which it's basically a clone of.

Hyosung makes their own 90 degree 250 v-twin which I've heard of as being a pretty good engine. Fit and finish overall are less than japanese quality, but mechanically they're good bikes.

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
 Better brakes and handling than a scooter.  
I disagree a bunch with this.  I can out brake and out handle most bikes in the mountains on my scooter. the ones I have the most problems with are the motards on those super sticky tires they use, plus they have ungodly ground clearance.
I chased a racer one day thru the GA mountains, he was on a SV650 he kept looking back at me and like why can't I shake that scooter. he'd eat me up on the straights because of HP but I would catch back up in the corners. did this for about 8 miles till I had to turn on to another road.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 12:00:33 AM »
All that has nothing to do with quality of something made. Did the regulations and oversight help the people who died because Jeeps burned, Firestone  tires blew out or Chrysler Concorde racks gave way? I don't buy something based on the regulations, I buy because I think it will do the job, I have a reasonable knowledge of the quality and after that it is all a crap shoot.

Judge the way you want too but then who is being holier than thou?

...and Jeep, Chrysler, Ford et all paid dearly for those mistakes. Yes, mistakes still happen even when we have safety regulations. Are you trying to say tha tthe SAE, NFPA, etc. are meaningless? You don't think that consumer protection laws and torte law (yes, that dirty word) have made our lives better by enforcing accountability?  Although you don't consciously buy products by researching the regs- you damn well expect them to be there. Let's say you bought a new Ford and one of the ball joints disintegrated on the highway and someone got seriously injured- would you just blow the matter off as a "crap shoot?"

My point is that- given the current climate- it is accepted that unsupervised PRC products are not subject to any minimum standard. They can break tomorrow and who is held accountable? Maybe the retailer here in the US. Good luck trying to go after the original manufacturer. You are essentially setting up a double standard by giving a "pass" to substandard PRC products, while maintaining (properly, in my mind) a high standard for domestic durable goods.

I never said that good products are not available from PRC factories. Obviously, if you have the power of His Holiness Steve Jobs, you can have very direct control over QC in the sweat shops you run over there (I won't even get into the travesty of that given the Apple "image"). My point is that given no mandated standards, and given no strictly controlled design/manuf overseer, there is a natural tendency to produce cheap crap.  It's all painfully obvious- except when someone wants to paint you as a "bigot."   

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »

Well, about that airbag thing  . . . what if the factory was in Japan and all the oversight and design and quality control and guidelines and certifications were in place and the major car companies knew they were getting a bogus product and installed it anyway and then refused to make it right on account of 11 million cars would just cut into profits too far?  would it still be China's fault?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/

justas696661

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2015, 03:15:09 AM »
justas696661, You look damn fine on that bike! ;-T
How does it make YOU feel on it ??
Buy it, smother it with care,
~and ride the wheels off it !!   :bike                    .....(that last sentence was meant figuratively :BEER:)

Thanks bro!
i think im going to buy it :) feels great
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:15:46 AM by justas696661 »

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 05:38:23 AM »
Thanks bro!

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Buy what moves you!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 06:37:37 AM »
Thanks bro!

Yep, looks good!  The line was at the IMS in Dallas couple of years ago.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

bpreynolds

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:19 AM »
Thanks bro!

;-T ;-T ;-T
Good for you.  Seriously, when I was riding my Hyosung 250, I had no idea of so called brand bias and I couldn't give a shite back then either - better days in some ways.  The bike looked far better than other 250s and as I said earlier, I took great pride in owning it. 

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 06:48:49 AM »
Thanks bro!

BTW-  you never mentioned the out the door price. It would be interesting to doa  direct comparison with the SV
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »
Well, about that airbag thing  . . . what if the factory was in Japan and all the oversight and design and quality control and guidelines and certifications were in place and the major car companies knew they were getting a bogus product and installed it anyway and then refused to make it right on account of 11 million cars would just cut into profits too far?  would it still be China's fault?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/

I'll have to read the piece-   but in the meantime, your statement suggests foreknowledge on the part of the car manufacturer. Obviously, they are the ones who ultimately put it on the street, so they would be liable for dumping the stuff on the market. However, if the subcontractor shaved dimensions, messed with the design, or tried to save .02 cents per unit by using a thinner bag (no! a PRC manufacturer would NEVER do that), then you bet your a$$ I would consider them culpible for the root cause. However, they are untouchable. ...which proves my original point. We should not have a "catch me if you can" standard for some manufacturers in this big happy, let's all sit around the yoga mat and hold hands global economy.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
Not great reviews for the Hyosung 650 on this part of the ocean. In comparatives I read, it fell behind the SV 650 in pratically every respect, with little problems shown on the test bike for the press too.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
If you like riding it, get it.   Those bikes have been on the road for the last 10 years.  

Considering the dealer support and popularity, it sounds like the perfect Asian bike for a Guzzi rider   ;-T
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:11:56 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
For anyone interested, a local friend (Blaine Paulus, whom some of you know) has a lot mileage 2007 UM V2S-650, which is the Hyosung naked SV650 like bike.
It only has 800 miles on it, and is like new.    Asking price is $2,375.   It has just had the oil and filter changed.

PM me, and I'll give  you his email and phone number (which, I didn't post to avoid having them collected for spam).

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
You put your trust in a company every time you get up.  Chinese,Japanese,US,etc.  ALL of the companies are bottom dollar operations.  If any of them could get by with less they would.  Govt regs?  They will bypass any of those that they can get away with.

And, yes, many Chinese companies have quality control that is at least as good as many companies in the US.  Are there bad ones?  Yep, in China and the US and any other country you want to name.  How about US cars made in the 60's and 70's?  Some of those were really sad.  Many survived only because they were so over built they were like tanks.

In the past I used to think, well at least I am using Timken bearings.  Yep, Timken has 5 or 6 factories in China as well as in many other countries.  But, I still trust them.

If I know the company makes a decent product I have no problem buying it, wherever it is made.

Heck, I own a Moto Guzzi!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:02:23 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
I'd buy a three year old used Japanese bike--and the related dealer networks and parts availability--rather than a brand new Hyosung.

+10000000000000000000

Something you can get parts for anywhere. Used SV650's are dime a dozen which is essentially the same type bike.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 02:47:31 PM »
I'll have to read the piece-   but in the meantime, your statement suggests foreknowledge on the part of the car manufacturer. Obviously, they are the ones who ultimately put it on the street, so they would be liable for dumping the stuff on the market. However, if the subcontractor shaved dimensions, messed with the design, or tried to save .02 cents per unit by using a thinner bag (no! a PRC manufacturer would NEVER do that), then you bet your a$$ I would consider them culpible for the root cause. However, they are untouchable. ...which proves my original point. We should not have a "catch me if you can" standard for some manufacturers in this big happy, let's all sit around the yoga mat and hold hands global economy.

Ok, so your imaginary scenario to condemn all Chinese industry turns out to be a real scenario played out by Japanese and US industry, and you still think it's an example of how China is sub par.

Read up on this.  Your comment is spot-on -- just change out "Japan and the USA" for PRC and it's almost entirely true.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 03:53:28 PM »
Thanks bro!

Make sure to check in with us on your travel adventures (pictures!), and any mech/elect. issues if they creep up during ownership. :bike

Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »
Ok, so your imaginary scenario to condemn all Chinese industry turns out to be a real scenario played out by Japanese and US industry, and you still think it's an example of how China is sub par.

Read up on this.  Your comment is spot-on -- just change out "Japan and the USA" for PRC and it's almost entirely true.

Dave- I have no idea what you are saying. It doesn't matter- you can have the last word. I refuse to argue conspiracy theories. I was subjected to that paranoid drivel growing up.
Hey- I'm wasting time  :beat_horse when i could be out on the bike! ;D

seriously- no ill will here. I'm just gonna move on. Have a good day all.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

canuguzzi

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
You put your trust in a company every time you get up.  Chinese,Japanese,US,etc.  ALL of the companies are bottom dollar operations.  If any of them could get by with less they would.  Govt regs?  They will bypass any of those that they can get away with.

And, yes, many Chinese companies have quality control that is at least as good as many companies in the US.  Are there bad ones?  Yep, in China and the US and any other country you want to name.  How about US cars made in the 60's and 70's?  Some of those were really sad.  Many survived only because they were so over built they were like tanks.

In the past I used to think, well at least I am using Timken bearings.  Yep, Timken has 5 or 6 factories in China as well as in many other countries.  But, I still trust them.

If I know the company makes a decent product I have no problem buying it, wherever it is made.

Heck, I own a Moto Guzzi!

:+1

We have a thread going about the rear brake on the Norge either not working or hanging a weight on it overnight to get it to work. Somehow SAE and regulations don't seem to matter much. Granted, the majority of braking comes from the front but really, they are brakes and that gets a pass?

:beat_horse Okay but if we're going to condem stuff because of where it comes from then we'd maybe its time to  park whatever it is we're riding or driving because you can bet it has parts sourced from the PRC, Korea of someplace else.

It has happened enough times to note that when I say I ride a Moto Guzzi I'll get a comment like " They look good but the reliability is a problem" or "does a support truck come with that?"  It isn't like anything the Italians make when it comes to cars and motorcycles is known for trouble free function.

Who cares where the bike is made, they are riding one and at least to me, that is what matters.  ;-T

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2015, 11:57:02 PM »
Looks like a nice enough scooter. I'd buy one of those before I'd buy another KTM, that's for dams sure.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2015, 12:45:07 AM »
Before I bought my 1st Italian product(Moto Guzzi) all I had heard is they are basically unreliable, but I took a chance and have been riding them now for over 30 years.  ???  Find out for yourself what's true and what's not.  ;)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here