Author Topic: What's new  (Read 4478 times)

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
What's new
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:15:41 AM »

So I found this Ironhead for sale in VA for 800.00 I had a friend go pick it up for me. I sold my Guzzi project to pay him back. Bought a train ticket to VA. Once I arrived I put new tires and carburetor on it. Then I sorted out a wiring issue and adjusted the pushrods. Unfortunately when changing the tires the bike fell from the jack and smashed the front fender or I would have kept it on there. I got up the following morning and started my ride home. My friend in VA rode to Parkersburg WV with me and the rest of my MC buddies met us there and rode the rest of the way home with me. My bike stopped charging somewhere along the way so in Columbus OH I started playing Musical batteries with another guy (he would charge I would drain) and made it all the way home.

Also I just completed training for the heavy equipment operators union and Finally start a Job on Monday driving a Haul Truck. Don't worry once I start making that operators money another Guzzi will find it's way to me. That's about it. I had not posted on the board in a while and I wanted to say hi to everyone and let you guys know what I have been up to. O and those Harley pipes do have baffles in them and I plan to keep it that way ;-). 

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: What's new
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
Hi Nate.  Congratulations on the career move, I hope it works out well for you. 

That looks like a relatively early Ironhead with right side shift, is that right?  I've toyed with the idea of picking up a crummy looking '76 or later and building one like this:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:32:43 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
Good and better - bike and job....

Buona fortuna,

Mark

Offline Mark Dasher

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
Great find!   Old iron Sportsters are a blast!  Too bad I didn't know you were around since I live in Parkersburg!

:+1
'75 850T
'78 Robin
'06 Breva 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
Bike looks like a lot of fun!

If you're tough enough to ride on that seat from Virginia to the midwest, you'll be able to handle any equipment operator's job they can throw at you .... !

Hope things continue to go well for you ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »
    Even with the super sweet Works rear suspension that seat was terrible. The worst thing I have ever sat on. My hardtail shovelhead was like a road couch compared to that thing. The seat must go. I will sell it to the Chinese as a torture device.

As far as the operators union I just finished my second week of work. 10 hour days no breaks no lunch and dangerous conditions. Saw the other haul truck driver roll his bed once and the whole truck almost went over a second time. I have had a few close calls but so far so good. Just opened my first check today and it makes it all worth it. Though We are going to work tomorrow as well for only 8 hours if it doesn't rain. I did the math and I will have to work for 300 hours before I can put a spare dollar in my fire proof sock. I guess that's not so bad after being out of work for almost 2 years. I am happy to have a career and a running motorcycle again. I will have another Guzzi. I'm not sure if it will be a roundfin cafe or a stock Griso but you will all know just as soon as I do. I miss chatting on the forum. I'll stop in and say hi on rainy days.   

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:08:36 PM »
Stay safe!  I'm sure the higher-ups in the company would rather have someone not wrecking equipment and not filing claims than producing 10% more.  Become their reliable guy.  300 hours isn't much.  With 40 hour weeks, it's less than two months.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
    Yep and we are on 50 hour weeks. I just finished week 2. 100 hours down 200 to go. It's funny because every day is a contradiction. One day it's go faster. The next is slow down. Drive to the top of the hill today drive across the side of it tomorrow. Wait to see where he wants the load dumped. Dump the load and keep moving he has a dozer he can move it if he needs to. My reply to all has been sure thing boss I can do that.

It would have drove a younger me crazy but I know it's not my job to ask why but to just do as I'm asked. The other day it was funny we were running like clock work I would pull up to get loaded just as the other guy was pulling away. Then the boss tells me to speed up. Now I'm dumping my load in the wrong places and sitting parked waiting for the guy in the other truck to get loaded. I went faster but the production went slower. Hey not my place to think about stuff like that. Boss man says drive fast I get to driving. Turns out for 25 an hour I can keep my mouth shut and do as I'm told. I never would have thought me to be a yes man but that's what they bought. Most of my job vocabulary has been sure thing boss I can do that.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:50:57 PM »
    Yep and we are on 50 hour weeks. I just finished week 2. 100 hours down 200 to go. It's funny because every day is a contradiction. One day it's go faster. The next is slow down. Drive to the top of the hill today drive across the side of it tomorrow. Wait to see where he wants the load dumped. Dump the load and keep moving he has a dozer he can move it if he needs to. My reply to all has been sure thing boss I can do that.

It would have drove a younger me crazy but I know it's not my job to ask why but to just do as I'm asked. The other day it was funny we were running like clock work I would pull up to get loaded just as the other guy was pulling away. Then the boss tells me to speed up. Now I'm dumping my load in the wrong places and sitting parked waiting for the guy in the other truck to get loaded. I went faster but the production went slower. Hey not my place to think about stuff like that. Boss man says drive fast I get to driving. Turns out for 25 an hour I can keep my mouth shut and do as I'm told. I never would have thought me to be a yes man but that's what they bought. Most of my job vocabulary has been sure thing boss I can do that.

Good for you, with an attitude like that you will be ok
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 06:08:35 AM »
Most of my job vocabulary has been sure thing boss I can do that.

Well, there ya go. Keeps the wolf from the door, and your stress level lower.  ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 07:19:35 AM »

As far as the operators union I just finished my second week of work. 10 hour days no breaks no lunch and dangerous conditions. Saw the other haul truck driver roll his bed once and the whole truck almost went over a second time. I have had a few close calls but so far so good.

I'm a little surprised that the operator's union doesn't do something about those conditions.

The reason I say that is because a buddy of mine belongs to a very useful union.   More like an "employment agency".   He works on jobs doing specialty rigging and electrical work that most companies can't do for themselves, so the company calls the union and the union puts out the call for workers on a job-by-job basis.

The union makes sure that qualified, reliable people are up climbing 100' in the air and erecting steel and working on 480v stuff, NOT half-drunk carnival workers.    The safety supervisor on the job is hired by the union and responsible to them to make sure everyone's working safe.    I used to just rag on unions until I learned about how this process worked - before, I thought it was just all Mafia, baseball bats, and long breaks.

So I'm glad that you're working for wages that you're happy with (and you SHOULD be getting paid well for that work!).   And you've got the right line on being the "Go To" guy that says "Yep, cap'n, I'll take care of that."    But don't get hurt doing it!     Whatever money you make while your in casts and traction won't be worth it ....

Lannis

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 08:59:52 AM »
used to just rag on unions until I learned about how this process worked - before, I thought it was just all Mafia, baseball bats, and long breaks.

Lannis, I'm glad to see you are open minded. So many people already have their minds made up on so many issues, and no amount of evidence to the contrary will make them change.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Motogogo

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
I used to just rag on unions until I learned about how this process worked - before, I thought it was just all Mafia, baseball bats, and long breaks.
Lannis

Think of all the inaccurate anti-union statements, posts and thoughts you've made all these years, getting yourself all worked up... often pissing off those who abide by forum rules. Yadda X 3

Anyhow ... cool bike I used to get to borrow one just like it .... fun ride, have a blast!

68 V700
850 T crusty specimen
Welch, Minnesota

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »

The union makes sure that qualified, reliable people are up climbing 100' in the air and erecting steel and working on 480v stuff, NOT half-drunk carnival workers.    The safety supervisor on the job is hired by the union and responsible to them to make sure everyone's working safe.    I used to just rag on unions until I learned about how this process worked - before, I thought it was just all Mafia, baseball bats, and long breaks.

Lannis
What always worried me about working in a union, what's to stop them sending their buddies on all the good jobs?
Whenever I was in a union I felt I had two bosses, I always maintain if you do a good job you should be able to get ahead, not held back by lack of seniority.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

Think of all the inaccurate anti-union statements, posts and thoughts you've made all these years, getting yourself all worked up... often pissing off those who abide by forum rules. Yadda X 3

Well, many of the statements, posts and thoughts I have made about unions over the years ARE accurate.   :thumb:

But many were not.   :bow:

The fact that I may have been wrong about things I didn't know a lot about is EXTREMELY common on this fine list.   :popcorn:

The fact that I've called it on myself and said "I was wrong about that" is just as EXTREMELY rare as far as I can tell.  Make a note and let me know next time you see someone do it .... :clock:

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here