Author Topic: Wooden feel front brake (NGC, but Brembo P08)  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Anders Pedersen

• Hatchling
Wooden feel front brake (NGC, but Brembo P08)
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:19:28 PM »
Hello all,

This winter, due to wear and tear, I replaced the single front brake disc (non-floating) on my BMW for a new one, and put in new pads as well (EDC, sintered).

It brakes all right, it just takes a somewhat physical effort and i don't have much feel with what's going on down at the wheel.

Brakeline is steel braided, 4 or 5 years old and so is a rebuild of the caliper (new pistons and seals).

Can a faulty master cylinder cause such a symptom? Or will the feel of the brake improve as the pads bed in? (I've only ridden the bike, say 100 km's, after replacing disc and pads).

Best regards,

Anders

'92 1000 Le Mans V u.e.
'92 BMW R 650 G/S

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
Re: Wooden feel front brake (NGC, but Brembo P08)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
I'm going to assume you meant EBC sintered brake pads.

Can I ask why you went with sintered pads?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Can a faulty master cylinder cause such a symptom?

Probably not.  The master cylinder can leak fluid, but it's unlikely it can change in a way that causes a wooden feel if it was working OK before.

Or will the feel of the brake improve as the pads bed in? (I've only ridden the bike, say 100 km's, after replacing disc and pads).

It could definitely improve with more use.  I've had new pads feel marginal at first.  A few hard stops may help speed up the process.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

canuguzzi

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »
Did you bleed the brake lines or just change the pads? Any chance you overfilled the masters? Could be as simple as that.

Do the simple: bleed the lines and carefully replace the fluid taking great care not to add more fluid that required. You can start out slightly below the full line.

Look at your masters. Sometimes they aren't level because of bar tilt angle and so on. Get them level and then fill if you can. If you can't do that, then fill to where the fluid touches the fill line at the lowest point and slowly get to just shy of half way, not more or you're putting too much fluid in.

Too much fluid, hard level pull and lack of feel.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:37:53 PM by Norge Pilot »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »

Offline Anders Pedersen

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
Yes, EBC!

Sintered for no other reason that I'm under the impression that's the recommended choice for that system and my kind of use. But I could be wrong?

No leaks, I'll try some hard stops next time out.

I bled the line, but I'll go back and check the level.

Thank you all so far!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:35:47 PM by Anders Pedersen »
'92 1000 Le Mans V u.e.
'92 BMW R 650 G/S

canuguzzi

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
Yes, EBC!

Sintered for no other reason that I'm under the impression that's the recommended choice for that system and my kind of use. But I could be wrong?

No leaks, I'll try some hard stops next time out.

I bled the line, but I'll go back and check the level.

Thank you all so far!

added some to last comment I made for tilted masters.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »
Try this. Going slowly on a back road apply a little brake, add some throttle and keep applying brake as necessary to keep your speed the same. After about 30 seconds of this, let off the lever and don't touch the lever until the rotor/pads cool down. That should break the pads in.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Anders Pedersen

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »
Look at your masters. Sometimes they aren't level because of bar tilt angle and so on. Get them level and then fill if you can. If you can't do that, then fill to where the fluid touches the fill line at the lowest point and slowly get to just shy of half way, not more or you're putting too much fluid in.

Too much fluid, hard level pull and lack of feel.

Went out to have a quick look-see. On the centre stand, front wheel pointing straight ahead, the reservoir tilts slightly to the front. Front of the reservoir, line of fluid is half a centimeter below "max", rear of reservoir line of fluid is one centimeter below "max". I doubt I've been overfilling.

Try this. Going slowly on a back road apply a little brake, add some throttle and keep applying brake as necessary to keep your speed the same. After about 30 seconds of this, let off the lever and don't touch the lever until the rotor/pads cool down. That should break the pads in.

Sounds quick and dirty to me :) I'll go out and try Chucks advice tomorrow, keeping all of the above in mind, will revert. Thanks again.
'92 1000 Le Mans V u.e.
'92 BMW R 650 G/S

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
The only time I experienced a Brembo with "wooden feel" was on a T3, and after inspection it had one stuck piston.  This is unlikely in your case since you have already rebuilt the caliper.
1990 MilleGT

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »
wooden feel is usually due to having a master cylinder with too large a piston diameter. Perhaps you have a single caliper on a master cylinder made for two caliper?
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
  New pads have to learn what they are supposed to do.  More miles and brake applications will help.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »
I had a wooden feeling on the linked front/rear on my California, so I bled them and apparently had a bit of air in the system.  All was good after that, problem cured.  But I certainly wouldn't discount any of the other solutions listed here.

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
 Change the brake fluid and hang the calipers above the master cyl. overnight with the bleeders cracked . The way BMW split the lines makes them difficult to bleed . Doubt if it is the pads , but be careful with those sintered pads , they will score the stainless steel rotors .

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 04:25:17 PM »
Change the brake fluid and hang the calipers above the master cyl. overnight with the bleeders cracked . The way BMW split the lines makes them difficult to bleed .

Wouldn't you think a problem described as "wooden feel" would not be a spongy lever from air in the line?

...but be careful with those sintered pads , they will score the stainless steel rotors .

In my experience, the HH sintered pads are fine on stainless rotors, but in my case they are Kawasaki rotors.  Are BMW stainless rotors softer than the Japanese ones?
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »
HH and stainless is fine as far as I know.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
wooden feel is usually due to having a master cylinder with too large a piston diameter. Perhaps you have a single caliper on a master cylinder made for two caliper?

As mt said - had same problem and went to smaller master cylinder and noe have wonderful brakes.....

Mark

Offline Anders Pedersen

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
Been busy with the brake today and these are my findings:

First of all, the pads are not sintered, they're organic, EBC FA18. I know because I bought the pair on the BMW together with 3 pairs still on the shelf to go on the Le Mans when the time comes. I beg your pardon for leading you on like that.

The only time I experienced a Brembo with "wooden feel" was on a T3, and after inspection it had one stuck piston.  This is unlikely in your case since you have already rebuilt the caliper.

Back then, I did change the pistons myself...  So I took the pads out, both sides showed wear, and both pistons moved freely. Just wanted to check this before employing Chuck's rather brutish advice of showing the pads who the boss man is :)

Well, I think it did the trick. Round 2 I nearly fell off the bike because the wheel blocked, it didn't do that in Round 1. I find it difficult to describe the change of feel, but it definitely is more easy to dose, coming on or off the brake. Result!

OK , what year year is this bike ? All of the BMWs that used the P08 calipers , except for R80 GS models , are twin disc , so unless someone changed the master cylinder it should match up .

It's from 1992, and I got it at a Danish Army surplus auction. Spares part list says it's a 12 mm piston for a single front disc/rotor, and I don't think the army bothered to fiddle with that.

Back in the day, the army had a 27 bhp version to use by dispatch riders, and a 48 bhp version for the MP's (both 650 ccm). Not knowing how comprehensive the detuning was, I bought one of the measly powered, cheaper version.

The odometer was broken, but the timing chain was so worn you could literally bend it sideways in a 90 degree angle. I had it repainted, had a mechanic put in a 308 degree camshaft and bought a pair of secondhand 32 mm carbs in place of the stock 26 mm's. Now it will run all day at 165 km/h, the final gearing is so low I think it's quicker off the mark than the Le Mans and I don't think I could break it if I kicked it. Nicely balanced, and a fun runabout!

Gents, thank you all for taking your time to reply to my questions.

/Anders
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:25:52 AM by Anders Pedersen »
'92 1000 Le Mans V u.e.
'92 BMW R 650 G/S

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here