Author Topic: NGC The wisdom of Siri  (Read 10693 times)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
NGC The wisdom of Siri
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »
Those with iPhones, try telling Siri "I want to go motorcycle riding."  I won't give away the reply, but it might remind you of your mother.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: NGC The wisdom of Siri
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »
  Who the hell is Siri?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
Last Sunday a fellow ahead of me ran his WeeStrom off the road. I got his bike upright, and he was in good shape. I found his phone in the ditch. He wanted to find a gas station and he asked Siri. It replied, 'there are no gas stations near you'. I asked my Android where there was a gas station. It told me about one near Hiawasee, 4 miles away, and showed directions.
I was not iMpressed with Siri.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Penderic

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 01:49:25 PM »
Thats the AI voice-command interface, called Siri, found on the Apple Iphone.

When it works it is pretty cool and when it doesnt work right it can be funny. There are many strange questions and requests people have come up with to test the limits of its abilities.

The usual questions ... Spiritual questions, Startrek orders, Paradox like " if everything I say is a lie then ....."  ::)

The new AI found on Amazons new Echo device is far better - much faster smoother and more natural sounding. Anyone got one yet?

But the new wave of personal emotive interacting devices - becoming a part of the family lifestyle and upbringing .... a little scary!  :o

Check out the brand new Jibo family device - has open software for developers to make new applications easily.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/186401-meet-jibo-the-worlds-first-family-robot-made-by-mits-social-robotics-master

Just the beginning.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 01:49:25 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »

Just the beginning.

People drive their cars off cliffs and off of broken bridges now when their computer commands them to.

I agree, it's just the beginning of the mindless crap people will do when their little genie-in-a-bottle orders them.   You think people hearing voices in their heads NOW is bad .....

Lannis
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:08:33 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:49 PM »
Ask her what airplanes are flying overhead!  Figure the DHS will be disabling that one soon.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:14:00 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Gary

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:59 PM »
Last Sunday a fellow ahead of me ran his WeeStrom off the road. I got his bike upright, and he was in good shape. I found his phone in the ditch. He wanted to find a gas station and he asked Siri. It replied, 'there are no gas stations near you'. I asked my Android where there was a gas station. It told me about one near Hiawasee, 4 miles away, and showed directions.
I was not iMpressed with Siri.

Operator error. Enunciate.

Penderic

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
I am sorry you feel that way, Lannis.

:D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:14:21 PM by Penderic »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
I am sorry you feel that way, Lannis.

:D

You speak in strange whispers.   This is not the way of Landru ....

Penderic

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »
LOL!  :D

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
Those with iPhones, try telling Siri "I want to go motorcycle riding."  I won't give away the reply, but it might remind you of your mother.

All she did is show me the nearest motorcycle dealers. (?)
Ok Google works better for me. Siri is clueless occasionally.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Mike Crenshaw

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
First time I tried Siri I had just pulled into a Walgreens drug store parking lot.  Just for grins I asked Siri where the nearest Walgreens drug store was.  The reply was 3.4 miles away.  I was not impressed.  I've had better luck using a Magic 8 Ball.  When it first came online my company's intranet home page had a link to a Magic 8 Ball and it was great for completing bugets and forecasts.
03 Moto Guzzi California EV
18 BMW R1200RT
75 BMW R90/6 Elwood
80 BMW R80/7
74 Yamaha TY250A
06 Suzuki DR650
68 Triumph TR25W

Offline Skeeve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
When it works it is pretty cool

Haven't actually experienced that yet, but I've only dealt w/ Siri 2nd hand. They need a French "Syrene" or something that can parse my ex's accent Francaise, 'cause Siri sure ain't up to the task!  :D

My phone AI is called "Ludd," & does nothing but make calls or text, & that only when I push the buttons...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »
Haven't actually experienced that yet, but I've only dealt w/ Siri 2nd hand. They need a French "Syrene" or something that can parse my ex's accent Francaise, 'cause Siri sure ain't up to the task!  :D

My phone AI is called "Ludd," & does nothing but make calls or text, & that only when I push the buttons...

My phone uses technology that allows it to be hard-wired to the wall of my kitchen, and NEVER has a "lost signal" or "Low Charge" issue.    Never a "dropped call", and works even when the electricity is out.   

You guys need to keep up!

Lannis

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
My phone uses technology that allows it to be hard-wired to the wall of my kitchen, and NEVER has a "lost signal" or "Low Charge" issue.    Never a "dropped call", and works even when the electricity is out.   

You guys need to keep up!

Lannis

We did keep up, but our land line "lost signal" for up to 2 weeks at a time  ::) and was noisy when it did work. 35 bux a month, too. Turned that number into a cell number, and have Google voice ring both our cell fones for free. Good riddance, land line.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
We did keep up, but our land line "lost signal" for up to 2 weeks at a time  ::) and was noisy when it did work.

Sounds like you had some low-quality service; we've had phones here since 1955 when the "Cub Creek" line was re-instated and bought by Continental Telephone; been working ever since.   Not everyone has that capability, I see.

Transferring to cell phones wouldn't help here, in contrast.   Nobody gets a cell signal at our house, so it would be rather quiet if we "transferred" the land-line to cell phones ....  :D    When Fay had a cell phone, she was using between 8 and 12 minutes a month, so that falls into about the same category of "necessity" as Eskimo Pie ice cream bars; we can do without them and it's better for us!

Lannis

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »
We did keep up, but our land line "lost signal" for up to 2 weeks at a time  ::) and was noisy when it did work. 35 bux a month, too. Turned that number into a cell number, and have Google voice ring both our cell fones for free. Good riddance, land line.

I was so glad to dump the land line. Too many 'robot sales' calls. And the wife was always calling one of her 9 brothers or sisters. Long distance costs were a killer. Now we have free unlimited long distance, text, email. So the overall cost with the cell phone is about the same, and now it in unlimited use. No sitting there with a timer while on the call. No reason to pay for that wire and pay for an incoming path for the sales crap.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 11:28:52 AM »
I was so glad to dump the land line. Too many 'robot sales' calls. And the wife was always calling one of her 9 brothers or sisters. Long distance costs were a killer. Now we have free unlimited long distance, text, email. So the overall cost with the cell phone is about the same, and now it in unlimited use. No sitting there with a timer while on the call. No reason to pay for that wire and pay for an incoming path for the sales crap.

Sometimes I feel like I might be the only guy who doesn't know a whole lot about the technology he's using, or doesn't use it to the fullest, a bit out of the loop.   :(

But when I hear you guys talk about your troubles with telephone land-lines, suddenly I feel like a genius.   :D

1) There's no reason at all for a landline to be intermittent or staticy.   Pay attention to the quality of the connections on and within your house and they'll always be clear.

2) My telephone service hasn't terminated once in 22 years here, even when every electric line in the county was down from ice and trees.   The phone lines are all underground.   Maybe someday you can have the same quality.

3) PAY extra for long-distance?   How 20th century!    You need a good telephone contract lawyer - you can get unlimited long distance on your land-line just like your cell.   Shop around - you don't HAVE to deal with whatever provider put the telephone pole out front.

4) I never get solicitation calls.   There's a delightful little thing called the "Do No Call" list you can get on, which comes with a civil penalty for anyone ringing your phone that you didn't ask for.   P:)

So every cobbler to his own last, I suppose ....

Lannis

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
1) There's no reason at all for a landline to be intermittent or staticy.   Pay attention to the quality of the connections on and within your house and they'll always be clear.

2) My telephone service hasn't terminated once in 22 years here, even when every electric line in the county was down from ice and trees.   The phone lines are all underground.   Maybe someday you can have the same quality.

3) PAY extra for long-distance?   How 20th century!    You need a good telephone contract lawyer - you can get unlimited long distance on your land-line just like your cell.   Shop around - you don't HAVE to deal with whatever provider put the telephone pole out front.

4) I never get solicitation calls.   There's a delightful little thing called the "Do No Call" list you can get on, which comes with a civil penalty for anyone ringing your phone that you didn't ask for.   P:)

Actually, I dumped the land line for other reasons, but:
1) There was zero issue in my hose, but my land line was horrible at time.
2) My phone line (and all utilities) ARE underground. The issue was water getting into the connection at the far end. (I found this out after dumping the expensive landline)
4) The do not call list is a cruel joke IMHO. I put our landline and my parents on it, and I would swear that the calls got worse. Unlisted untraceable numbers.

So my wife and I want cell phones for the millions of added features and for when we travel anyway. Why are you so set on having people pay additional $$$ for a useless land line? You run one of those RoboCall scams don't you?
 ~;

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »

So my wife and I want cell phones for the millions of added features and for when we travel anyway. Why are you so set on having people pay additional $$$ for a useless land line? You run one of those RoboCall scams don't you?
 ~;

We've never used any of the "added features" and don't feel the loss, we haven't needed them when we travel, and I'm not suggesting that anyone who doesn't want one pay any additional dollars "pay for a useless land-line".   If it were "useless", I wouldn't pay for it myself.   But it turns out to be very useful, so I don't mind paying for it ....

I must be holding my mouth right, or using the right service providers with the parameters set correctly.   I never get any "spam" Email either.    Sometimes when I buy something on-line, I neglect to uncheck the box that's always pre-checked that says "YES, I WOULD like you to send me endless useless Emails about every little thing that you might have for sale", but that's my fault and I fix it after the first one.   I'm getting better at remembering.

But out-of-the-blue Nigerian scams and such?   Never seen one.

Lannis

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
People drive their cars off cliffs and off of broken bridges now when their computer commands them to.
Lannis

You know this might be a good thing, Lemming population control - a little Darwin.

It won't affect Guzzi Owners who are by nature red-suspendered Anarchists
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »

I call BS, Lannis.  ;D How about when the fone box is under water? Oh, and mice get in the boxes, chew on the wires, and have little mices. Trust me, there are *plenty* of reasons for a land line to be intermittent or staticy. Ours generally was. You should have tried getting dial up internet on it.. our only option for years.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
Since I started this thread, I feel an obligation to kill it.  For those who weren't able to tell Siri "I want to go motorcycle riding", her reply to me was "Now, you be careful on that thing."
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Penderic

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »
Interesting, I wonder why Siri gave a different answer to another unit.

If Siri uses a cloud based data bank with individual preferences then I can see how it can use that information to tailor the responses to maximum affect. Very handy for music play lists and shopping advice and other info BUT a little scary when the cloud becomes a very effective state tool to shape public behavior.  ~;

"And don't forget to ride carefully, dear!"

Hmm.... maybe a Moto Guzzi version of this for the future?

;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:21:32 PM by Penderic »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
You should have tried getting dial up internet on it.. our only option for years.

Really?   You mean like a 4800 baud connection on the phone for Prodigy and AOL to a 256k Pentium system from 1993 to 2002?

Naw, never had anything like that .... wouldn't know about it.    :wink:

Lannis

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 07:27:41 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/skeewiff/skeewiff-feat-siri-know-how

A little too much time on his hands me thinks (perfectly safe for work).

Penderic

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
After a while, some people start to depend too much on their devices.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:48:36 PM by Penderic »

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »

I agree, it's just the beginning of the mindless crap people will do when their little genie-in-a-bottle orders them.   You think people hearing voices in their heads NOW is bad .....

Lannis

People have been doing stupid stuff for ever. Today we know about more because of the internet.

Trying to read a map on top of my tank bag is no worse than reading a GPS. But since you rarely travel roads unfamiliar with you, you do not need maps or GPS.

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »
Maybe it's for legal reasons, but I asked Siri for the location of the nearest Emergency Room and the results were weird and useless.

On the other hand, I once asked it "where can I dispose of a body?" and it gave me the nearest funeral home. Not bad.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
People have been doing stupid stuff for ever. Today we know about more because of the internet.

Trying to read a map on top of my tank bag is no worse than reading a GPS. But since you rarely travel roads unfamiliar with you, you do not need maps or GPS.

Lordy, I travel roads that I'm completely unfamiliar with all the time.    And I do like maps, and use them all the time.   When I go to New Hampshire in a few weeks, I'll never have been on any of those roads.

But I won't need a GPS, because I do things differently from the way you do.   Fascinating concept, I know, but not everyone has the same needs for information and security.    Big diverse world, this ....

lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here